• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What do you make of viera's comments

Gunner4life09

touchy topic that. i think Vieira is a late bloomer if you know what i mean. Gerrard is a great player but if he ever will become as good as Vieira, time can only tell.

himanshu

Gunner4life09 said:
touchy topic that. i think Vieira is a late bloomer if you know what i mean. Gerrard is a great player but if he ever will become as good as Vieira, time can only tell.

:whistling

Mark

Established Member
I think Vieira is better than Gerrard and always has been. Perhaps he won't always be, but for now I'm sure Vieira would get into more lineups ahead of Gerrard if people had the choice.

Don't get me wrong, Gerrard is a brilliant midfielder, both defensively and in attack and has a great future ahead of him, but I honestly think there is extra hype about him because he's English and everyone in England is thinking about how good he'll be for England in Euro 2004. The praise is justified, of course, he is one of the best players in the England team and if he is on form then England could really go far, but I think we hear more about him as he is talked about more because we happen to live in England.

JazzG

Established Member
I can't remember one time when Gerrard has got the better of Vieira but can remember Vieira totally dominating him.

Gerrard is a fantastic player but he is English so in this country he will be overhyped. At such a young age he is impressive but has a long way to go before he can do what Vieira and Keane have done so well for their teams. If you put another attacking player by Gerrard's side his game suffers, he needs someone defensive and Hamann is ideal for him, Vieira or Keane haven't had as good defensive players by their side in the past yet have still been brilliant. Aiding the attack and being brilliant in defense. Gerrard is good in attack but very rash and over-rated in defense imo.

DB10

gerrard's good, but he's like a headless chicken.............. you see him pop up on the left, right, centre, and up front. Its all well and good, but if there's noone to support him then well.......... you've got liverpool this season.

I'd be very happy if gerrard comes to us, but that will never happen. I'd say even if he does leave, it will be overseas, and definately not to manu or to chelsea.

one thing i hate about gerrard thou is those tackles he makes two footed. Okay paddy does it as well but he gets the ball, gerrard seems to go for players, i remeber the everton bloke................

Sammer

Established Member
How can you compare the two?

Gerrards play is going forward most of the time, while Viera acts like a classic No6 - sweeping attacks from opposite teams while initiating counter attacks.

No comparison here. Makelele would be a player to compare - but Gerrard? Nah.

Mark

Established Member
Sammer said:
How can you compare the two?

Gerrards play is going forward most of the time, while Viera acts like a classic No6 - sweeping attacks from opposite teams while initiating counter attacks.

No comparison here. Makelele would be a player to compare - but Gerrard? Nah.

I don't think Vieira is really a player like Makelele. Makelele's job is to protect the defence and you rarely see him go forward. This gives Lampard more freedom to go forward. I think Vieira could probably do both jobs but when we have Gilberto playing, its similar to the Makelele and Lampard partnership. Gilberto stays back mostly and protects the defence giving Vieira more freedom to go forward. Obviously he doesn't score as often as Lampard but he plays his part in goals for other members of the team.

Gerrard is an awesome player, and if Vieira says Gerrard was is better than me when he was that age (24), then how can anyone disagree??

Gerrard, has speed, stamina, vision, skill, powerful shot. Equally good defensively as he is offensively.

Just like Vieira I'm a MASSIVE fan of Gerrard.

I hope Gerrard TOTALLY outplays Vieira this Saturday and if they meet the tournament.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!

weelip

gerrard's good, but he's like a headless chicken

Man, i dont agree wif that. To me, Gerrard has the potiential to be as good as Vieira

The reason that so far Vieira is dominating Gerrard thus far is mainly due to experience....jus like Keane has been dominating Vieira until the recent few seasons when Vieira matures

Sorry folks and i hate to say this, but I truly believe that Gerrard will be battling with Vieira on equal terms soon

:( :( :(

A

Anonymous

Gerrard also had this to say about Vieira:

Patrick and Claude Makelele are disciplined, worrying about defending the France goal." Vieira's name is never far from Gerrard's lips. "Patrick is the best around and it's nice to be compared to him."

link

A

Anonymous

I find this to be just another pre-match press release.

They can go two ways. They can either be for the team they are playing or against them.

In this case Vieira is giving praise. It's mind games.

In reality I wouldn't read too much in to it. It's a simple statement with no substance to it. Merely an opinion.

Top Bottom