• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

With £30mil in the bank, who could replace Vieira?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingReyes

Established Member
Well then Lee mate, let me start it off again! :D Steven Gerrard is the only one that can fit into Vieira's role!

lee1001

Established Member
Gerrard will not leave. So no point in duscussing that. But i agree, if we could pick any player he would be the one.

IMO Ballack is the man we should get and i think we can get him.

Not sure about Maniche.

Could Toure replace Vieira in midfield?

KingReyes

Established Member
Play Toure where he likes to play at CB. I didn't mention Ballack because he isn't the same type of player, however I wouldn't say no to him to replace Paddy even he isn't a direct replacement.

chris66

Does anyone know what is the latest upon Ballack? Is it that nobody is prepared to pay Bayern's asking price or does he really not want to leave.

He is certainly one of the best attacking midfielders in the world and by some distence the best German playing football right now. I find it hard to believe that Barca, Chelsea, ManU or even REal wouldn't step up if he was really available. All of them could afford him and he would improve each of their teams a lot.

I'd love to see him at Arsenal - playing alongside Vieira of course!

Sammer

Established Member
Ballack was available for Barca, if Deco had been bought by Bayern. That was before the Euro 2004.

Now, it is obvious that Bayern will not sell Ballack. He just played against Bayern Leverkuse tonight (and played bloody awesome).

Bayern has no need to sell him now. They got Lucio to strengthen the defense, a pocket full of cash and a very determined coach.

Ballack is history now for us. If Viera really leaves that "late", there will be NO adequate replacement as none of the players we are talking about - may it be Ballack, Gerrard or Maniche, will be sold at this point.

Viera will stay though :D

CMS

ballack didn't play bloddy awesome tonight, but he scored an bloody awesome goal....

patrick42uk

Established Member
dont understand the obsession with ballack really. he produces good moments, but i'd prefer a far more consistent player in center mid. he wouldnt be in my top five potential replacements for vieira.

Mark

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
dont understand the obsession with ballack really. he produces good moments, but i'd prefer a far more consistent player in center mid. he wouldnt be in my top five potential replacements for vieira.

Agreed. Ballack does not have the same defensive qualities as Vieira. He'd be great with Paddy, but I don't think he could do all the work Paddy does in midfield. He is more of an attacking option.

With Parlour also gone, we will need someone who puts in that level of work rate and the only person I can really think of with that energy is Gerrard, or Toure if we were to move him into midfield.

lewdikris

Established Member
I think Ballack's a better player overall than Paddy - what he lacks in the tackle, he would add in controlling possession in the midfield. Defensive midfielders may be all the rage these days - thanks largely to Brazil and France's success, but the game hasn't changed that much since the days when the key man in midfield wasn't a tackler, but a guy to put his foot on the ball and play a constructive pass, not give the ball away.

Ballack does that better than anyone else in the game at the minute. He's brilliant.

Mark

Established Member
Well I guess we still have Gilberto to play the defensive midfield role. A combination of those two might work well but I'd really prefer Vieira to stay. He's perfect for our side and for the football we play.

Adam

Established Member
You say constructive - true, a constructive and progressive forward of sideways pass, but his final ball is not what we expect from an ACM of his standard.

I don't believe he controls the flow of possesion as well as Patrick. I believe Vieira does this better than anyone else - why? Because he has learnt to do it in Arsenals mercurial style of play, which is more testing than the discipline of German football. Vieira captures the imagination with his athleticism and instant final balls, and ball winning - at pace.

hesham

Established Member
One man - Ronaldinio not exactly the Viera type player but we can change it to a dimond like formation :shock:

voomboom

I say........

Convert Jeffers into a defensive midfielder!!!!!

The fox in the center circle.......

yap, yap, yap!

lewdikris

Established Member
Adam said:
You say constructive - true, a constructive and progressive forward of sideways pass, but his final ball is not what we expect from an ACM of his standard.

I don't believe he controls the flow of possesion as well as Patrick. I believe Vieira does this better than anyone else - why? Because he has learnt to do it in Arsenals mercurial style of play, which is more testing than the discipline of German football. Vieira captures the imagination with his athleticism and instant final balls, and ball winning - at pace.

Ad, Vieira really doesn't play that many final balls. I can't think of more than the one for Reyes against Chelsea this season.

Ballack's controlling of possession of got Leverkusen into the CL final, and almost singlehandedly got Germany into the World Cup final. Which is more than Paddy's ever done with his own play.

The difference is that Paddy saves games, but he never wins them - it's a definite fact than when we've needed a driving central midfielder to step up in the way, say, Keane did for Man U at his best, and win a tough game .... Paddy has failed.

Ballack hasn't. He wins games rather than saves them.

To me that makes him the best.

Sammer

Established Member
I agree lewdikris. Ballack´s ability to win games is amazing. Forget about his form at Bayern last season. He has everything to one of the top3 midfielders in the world.
But then again, Paddy´s ability to dominate midfield (defensively) is just as amazing - really a question of what you rater higher.

Still, Ballack should join a EPL or Spanish League club, his talent is being wasted at Bayern.

Adam

Established Member
I think that is more of a hollywood saying than actuality. We don't need Vieira to win games - do we? We have match winners all around the park - which is testament to our quality that not only Vieira has to stick out. In 00/01 - however, he was our true match winner. Remember Sp**s Fa Cup semi final? And countless other games...

Now we rely on every single player in the system, and it is more healthy as it makes everyone more replaceable.

Leverkusen didn't have the side that we have, and yes, Keane won a few games for United (notable Juventus away) but you have to look at Yorke and Cole more than anyone that season. (50 goals plus between them that season)

We expect too much of a player genuinely playing in a great side. And the stats still show he is the best around, and of course - the stuff the stats don't show - the turns, and the first touches, and the skill - totally dominates the likes of Keane, Gerrard, and Ballack.

He'd flick it over their heads all day long. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom