• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal need to play Abroad.

algunner

It seems arsenal always travel to Austria and play some cheap teams winning 10-1 even thought it is flattering. I think players like Viera and Henry need some high profile matches just like Chelsea, ManUtd are doing Playing in the US. Its seems like Arsenal don't like to travel or play high profile matches. We are now playing the Amsterdam match which ManUtd played 3 yrs ago. We need to Travel Abroad. The Players would like also to play these matches and gives them boost to know that there are supporters outside UK that love them.

I hope next year Arsenal will make it to the US and Asia ..

faki00

The purpose of the games , Man U, Celtic, Liverpool e.tc are playing in America isn't because of top competition, but rather as means of inceased revenue. I read somewhere that Real were gonna make 1o million pounds for playing 2 games in Japan. It's nothing more than a publicity vehichle.

I go to school in philadelphia and was contemplating catching one of the games (the italian teams), but found out the price tickets were way too exorbitent.

Plus the sides are gonna feature mainly second string lineups. Manc fans don't even get to see a horse face(#10), one trick pony(#7), and a 35 year old norwegian that looks like he's 12(#20)....

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
prices over here are pretty high... i went last summer at the meadowlands to see Manure & Juve... i paid like $60 a ticket for first section seats

asajoseph

Established Member
True, we don't travel far, although I have to say that you are a little harsh on the quality of our opposition. We're not supposed to be tiring our players out, just giving them a warm up.

Don't forget, the spuds played a conference team, and only beat them 2-1. Rather than the 10-1 we beat Barnet by. It will get harder, especially because the teams we play will be more likely to be out to get us than teams like Munich would be.

That said, it would perhaps be a sign of continuing ambition by the club management to try and promote the Arsenal brand in the far east or the states.

AlexH

Couldn't agree more. We need to market the brand of Arsenal more heavily. People make stupid sniffy comments about 'Its only for the money' but football IS about money. You either have it and can be a big club or don't and will always be a small club. ManUre have had a marketing strategy years ahead of everyone else; Kenyon, asshole though he is was responsible for it, which is why Roman snapped him up. Now we need to take a leaf out their books and market ourselves big-time. Lets get the cannon on t-shirts and baseball caps across the world, and Arsène's transfer coffers overflowing with merchandising money.

KingReyes

Established Member
I think we need to market the Arsenal brand more overseas but not if it sacrifices team performances. Wenger takes the squad certain places for a reason and does it for the benefit of the team. I'd rather we win the league etc. than be Manure and make a few more people jump on the bandwagon.

lewdikris

Established Member
What the hell's the Amsterdam Tournament. Sure, the players don't have to haul their asses over to America or Japan, but it's still top quality opposition. River Plate and Ajax are enormous names in world football.

Look, if a heavy duty overseas tour earns a maximum of 10 million, with potential longterm gains of maybe a million a year, I still don't think that justifies the effects of travel fatigue, the potential aggravation of any injuries on longhaul flights, and whatever that it involves.

Maybe I just don't care where the players play abroad because it doesn't effect my ability to watch them one bit, but I think it's a waste of time whose problems are potentially more costly than the benefits.

johe

I don't think we need to play against harder opposition. Wenger wants his players to ease into the new season in a relaxed way.

In case some of you don't remember, we went on a tour to Austria (or was it switzerland?) last year and whoopie, we won the league unbeaten. Manure went to the states and didn't have a shout after Rio went. Pre-season friendlies mean nothing.

Sp**s lost 1-0 to swedish third division side Trollhättan. Just wanted to let you all know, in case you didn't. ;D

AlexH

lewdikris said:
What the hell's the Amsterdam Tournament. Sure, the players don't have to haul their asses over to America or Japan, but it's still top quality opposition. River Plate and Ajax are enormous names in world football.

Look, if a heavy duty overseas tour earns a maximum of 10 million, with potential longterm gains of maybe a million a year, I still don't think that justifies the effects of travel fatigue, the potential aggravation of any injuries on longhaul flights, and whatever that it involves.

Maybe I just don't care where the players play abroad because it doesn't effect my ability to watch them one bit, but I think it's a waste of time whose problems are potentially more costly than the benefits.

There's no question its a balancing act to make sure excessive demands are not made on the players which may fatigue them before the season has even started, but if ManUre, the Spanish ****, AC Milan, Chelski, Celtic, etc can all do it, there should be no reason why we can't. Before anyone mentions the lack of trophies from that lot last season, its not like this is a new concept for them and it hasn't hurt their silverware collections in the past. They are going where the new markets are; North America and Asia are cash cows waiting to be milked...the Spanish ****'s tour of Japan is expected to net them £10m.

Remember...ManUre's £171m turnover (compared to our £104m) is not just due to their bigger stadium...its due to the brand. We've all been hurting alot recently with all the Vieira speculation, and will hurt alot more if he does indeed go. These tours provide SERIOUS money for squad strengthening...and I very much doubt there would be any rumours of our players leaving if Arsène's transfer budget was boosted by money making tours to the emerging markets and the merchandising cash that followed.

thegreatbriton

We have a slow escalation in opposition as our players reach fitness. Barnet and Maribor could be beaten wihtout any training befor ei, which basically they were. The Austrian sides will test our fitness, but not really our talent. The Amsterdam tournament howeveer will see us tested in most aspects, and the Charity Shield will mentally test us.

calvinngai88

The Amsterdam Tournament is one of the well known and exciting pre-season tournaments of all. And it will be indeed rather a test of talents against arguably the best of clubs in the world, Ajax and River Plate. I'm looking forward to it. ;D

AlexH

thegreatbriton said:
We have a slow escalation in opposition as our players reach fitness. Barnet and Maribor could be beaten wihtout any training befor ei, which basically they were. The Austrian sides will test our fitness, but not really our talent. The Amsterdam tournament howeveer will see us tested in most aspects, and the Charity Shield will mentally test us.

These tours are not about fitness or testing players and teams, they are exhibition matches played at well under 100% effort for the purpose of marketing the brand. All the clubs participating will have had pre-tour warm-ups. Its all about money, money, money. The money from the tour, the money from the kids who see the tour buying shirts and other merchandise by the container load. Arsenal need to get in on the act.

thegreatbriton

I completely disagree with you. United and Chelsea go to the US to make money, but have o put up wiht huge media attention and sponsorship commitments. We go to Austria for a week or taining out of the public eye.

AlexH

thegreatbriton said:
I completely disagree with you. United and Chelsea go to the US to make money, but have o put up wiht huge media attention and sponsorship commitments. We go to Austria for a week or taining out of the public eye.

Well wake up and smell the coffee then. The participants in the 'ChampionsWorld Series' are AC Milan, AS Roma, Bayern Munich, Celtic, Chelsea, FC Porto, Galatasaray, Liverpool and Manchester United. All of these top clubs have appreciated the need to market themselves. They want huge media attention and sponsorship...it brings MONEY. Anyone who declares they don't want to adopt these methods shows a fundamental lack of understanding towards the way football operates in the modern global marketplace and how top clubs raise the amounts of money that are needed to compete.

We have been punching above our weight for quite a while now...but it won't continue without money, especially after Arsène leaves...we can't guarantee his successor will have such a golden eye for young signings, or even that he will continue to get it right so often.

That is why we're building a new stadium, right? Money comes with success, if we succeed- we'll make money, as simple as that. We can earn money without aggresively marketing ourselves in the far east or the US, just because these are lucrative markets. We don't have to be Merchandise United, there is a different way.

the Arsenal way :D

Arnie

Chelsea went to the far east, Utd went to the states. Arsenal went to Austria, i forgot, who one the long gruelling battle for the title.

It pre - season you wally, you know getting players ready for the season. I'd rather get them to go to a place with similar climate. I know there is business to worry about so here is an idea.

Arsenal should ditch crappy Granada. and do a deal with ESPN or NBC or whatever other channels you have out there, and get Arsenal matches televised live. I'm sure with our dazzling foootball we could get a few extra fans

AlexH

Israeli-Gooner said:
That is why we're building a new stadium, right? Money comes with success, if we succeed- we'll make money, as simple as that. We can earn money without aggresively marketing ourselves in the far east or the US, just because these are lucrative markets. We don't have to be Merchandise United, there is a different way.

The new stadium is only a small part of the equation. Last time I looked at their figures, the income from match days provided less than half of ManUre's £171m income...a sizable amount of money no doubt, but nowhere near enough without the merchandising of the club.

Yes, all the clubs who are participating in the U.S. have got it wrong, and we have it right. I think not. Today you need every advantage and every penny you can get. It would be mad not to take them.

johe

AlexH said:
Israeli-Gooner said:

The new stadium is only a small part of the equation. Last time I looked at their figures, the income from match days provided less than half of ManUre's £171m income...a sizable amount of money no doubt, but nowhere near enough without the merchandising of the club.

Yes, all the clubs who are participating in the U.S. have got it wrong, and we have it right. I think not. Today you need every advantage and every penny you can get. It would be mad not to take them.

To be honest I'd rather increase our chances of winning the title than tire on some long haul trip to the other side of the world, which would make us some quid, but would be detrimental on the players condtition before the new season. One of the big advantages of touring in small countries in Europe is that we can send home injured players quickly and fly in new ones, instead of sending them on a 20 hour flight trip.

calvinngai88

Just look at ManU, long trips to faraway countries like US will cause some minor injuries to the players. Ole Gunnar Solksjaer got injured, a recurrence of knee injury that kept him out for most of last season, after arriving at US. Long trips which may accumulate up to 15+ hours of flight can cause fatigue to players and they'll feel uncomfortable. And what if they get injured in those friendly games? It might be minor ones but nontheless will still affect the players' condition for the upcoming season.

Besides, We do want Dennis Bergkamp to take part in pre-season, aren't we? :lol:

We do sell merchandise, maybe we're just not aggressive enough like ManUre. They made merchandise their no.1 goal, but I don't think a football club is all about selling shirts...

Top Bottom