• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The "Marketing" of Arsenal football club internati

vin de guerre

Aussie said:
Who gives a crap if we aint as big in other countries.

It is where you mae the big money! We need to compete financially with manure, chelski and the ****. oh and real mardas.
if we had the financial clout we wouldnt be scared of losing the crownjewels each summer.

johe

Actually, believe it or not, when I was in Portugal (Viana do Castelo), I was in a huge sport-store, and in their football section, there was a this rack where all the Nike-shirts were, all the Arsenal shirts were at the front, with the manure shirts a bit further back. In addition there were loads of Arsenal away shirts, and they didn't have any manure away shirts (they weren't sold out, they just didn't sell them at all). They even had this huge board on the outside of the store where they were marketing for Porto's CL win, and Arsenal's unbeaten run. Nike of course.

Dunno what to make of it, but it seems our marketing isn't THAT bad after all.

calvinngai88

Portugal's in Europe, what about Asia? There are already 10 times more ManU fans than Arsenal fans in Singapore, which is just a small country in Asia. What about China, Japan? Really hope if Arsenal can open an Arsenal retail shop in Singapore. That will at least compete with ManU's marketing.

However, currently with all the investments tied down with the new stadium, there won't be much marketing of the club in the world. Maybe after the stadium's built and profits start coming in. :D

sienna

calvinngai88 said:
Portugal's in Europe, what about Asia? There are already 10 times more ManU fans than Arsenal fans in Singapore, which is just a small country in Asia. What about China, Japan? Really hope if Arsenal can open an Arsenal retail shop in Singapore. That will at least compete with ManU's marketing.

However, currently with all the investments tied down with the new stadium, there won't be much marketing of the club in the world. Maybe after the stadium's built and profits start coming in. :D

Everyone knows that in Asia Manure has a large following. In Malaysia where I'm from you can see Manure's stores and it's quite hard to get Arsenal merchandise here. Liverpool has a large following in Malaysia too. I think it's about time that Arsenal set up stores in Asia particularly in Malaysia. We have an active supporters club here in Malaysia and I see quite a number of people wearing Arsenal shirts here so all hope is not lost yet.

johe

calvinngai88 said:

Yeah, I was only making a point out of that we ARE known outside the UK contrary to what someone said.

calvinngai88

Well, not only do I see ManU's stores but even their own personal Red Devils Bar which was opended officially by Sir Alex Ferguson, in Singapore. No Arsenal retail stores here at all, though their merchandise could be found in some major sports shops. And just like you, we do have a very active Arsenal's fan club here too.

Don't mind if I invite you and your fellow Malaysian Arsenal fans to join mIRC Galaxynet network, channel #arsenal. This mass online chatting program should be quite familiar with most Malaysians I suppose. :D

AlexH

vin de guerre said:
Aussie said:
Who gives a crap if we aint as big in other countries.

It is where you mae the big money! We need to compete financially with manure, chelski and the ****. oh and real mardas.
if we had the financial clout we wouldnt be scared of losing the crownjewels each summer.

Absolutely spot on. This is a pet peeve of mine, and unquestionably the worst aspect of AFC. It constantly amazes me how little people realise that ManUre get over half of their £171m annual revenue from their marketing activities.

In whatever sphere of business you're in (and make no mistake, football is business) you can have the most amazing product (or team in our case) in the world, but noone will come beating a path to your door unless you get out there and make sure they know about it. This has to be an absolutely top priority for the club.

I understand the shirt sales situation is going to improve somewhat now with the new deal with Nike from a short while back, and our shirts are going to be sold in all Nike outlets along with the ManUre shirts/other clubs/national sides shirts that Nike supply.

We have to beat the Manc **** and the Spanish **** at their own game. I reckon we also have at least a couple of advantages as well; the cannon is a really cool logo, much better than any of our main rivals, and the fact we come from London, one of the best cities in the world, has to help too.

lewdikris

Established Member
Bollocks. Marketing strategy is at least partly dependent on previously existent rep. Liverpool and Man U have been so successful in foreign sales markets because of their success during the 80s and 90s - when the Global TV market exploded.

We'll become massive in Asia or wherever when we win the Champions League. Open up all the shops you want - but tangible continental success (something our history can't boast) will make us storm the marketplace.

Alexone234

We have moved from a "B" list brand at Nike to being an "A" list brand. This means that before when Manure shirts were in the window and Arsenal were at the back, now both shirts are marketed with the same store support.

We do some international marketing, but nothing major. There is an Asian Arsenal website, shirt sales, other such things, but no tour.

With regards to Mega stores. United started this aggressive policy of Marketing long before us. As a business culture, we watch the market then try to do what works, but better.

It has only been for two years or so Real took the far east seriously.

Wenger won't make the boys tour just for marketing reasons.

Our first real step is to get the new Stadium up an running whil winning as much as possible in football terms.

beanz

I think Lewdikris is absolutely right, It's all about raising the profile of the club on a global scale and the only way of doing that, is to have success, both individually, TH14 for example and as a club by winning trophies.
The more exposure in the media Arsenal get, the better the sales of branded goods.
There's little point in touring places like the far east and the states, if most of the poeple there are scratching their heads wondering who AFC are.

Adam

Established Member
It is also related to players you sign from certain countries, and what you do with the players in their development.

KingReyes

Established Member
Financial success will mainly come along when you have constant success on the pitch. Its just like any other sport, The chances are that the World number 1 player in tennis etc, will get more attention/air time therefore more marketing attractions from sponsors than the world number 100. Look at Tiger Woods and his image just because of his enormous success on the golf course or the Williams sisters in Tennis. When you become successful on the field, financial gain from marketing is bound to follow.

Alexone234

We are building a club to be successful over the next 20 years, which is reflected in our marketing.

Example, Chelsea are taking an overseas trip because they are aiming to be the next United or Real and have given themselves one season to do it. In reality, people abroad don't give two hoots about who came second, its the winner that is interesting.

chris66

I really question the value of the current "Champions" Tournamnet going on in the USA. I watched the MAn Utd v. Bayern game yesterday and it was one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever seen. Basically Man U played a bunch of kids and Keane, whilst Bayern played the names but they patently couldn't be assed. Ballach never went over the half way line. From a brand development perspective it probably put both teams back 5 years as it was a terrrible terrible game - like watching park football.

I agree that the best way to get Arsenal awareness out there is to win the Champs League and keep playing the type of beautiful football we see every week. The other important thing is to find the US or Asian player who can really be the superstar and have him in our team on merit, not some token like Inamoto. Anyone who has seen what Ichiro has done for the Seattle Mariners - where every game is shown live on japanese TV can see that. This will overcome any association to manU, Real or Chelsea that any kid in the US or Asia has. If he or she can watch someone they relate to on the pitch they will get the association for the team those of us who grew up with the game have. All of these kids with allegiance to manU today will drop them like the turds they are if the first great Asian or American player becomes a gooner.

So, if you want global branding, build the best scouting and recruitment system in the areas you want to expand. or sign Freddie Adu!

Top Bottom