• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Carvalho to Chelsea

patrick42uk

Established Member
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 89,00.html

thats it, chelsea officially have the best squad in europe. i secretly hoped we could get this player (IMO player of the champions league this year) but chelsea have got their grubby hands on him. the hope now is that the gelling time required between now and christamas, which includs adapting to new tactics, would do enough to hamper a title bid.

KingReyes

Established Member
He is definately a quality defender and Chelsea's title bid will become stronger with his signing. Once again though I feel they have paid over his value, but I doubt Chelscum are worried about that.

liam346

Carvalho....fine player

Chelsea have spent up well no doubt but i have a nagging doubt they haven't spent as well as they could.Funny enough i think the weakness will in fact be last years strength,,...........Lampard.Last year i think he maybe caught everybody by surprise with his goals, this year i am picking he will struggle.To me Chelsea do not have an crafty player who will unlock defences from centre Midfield.Duff and Robben will be truly a handful out left but down the middle i have some questions.

Funnily enough though i don't like him but had Chelski signed Deco (and he really can play) i think they would be hard to stop.

Kezman , good poacher and goalscorer......at $5m a snip it has to be said.

Drogba....is he a 1 season wonder.Am hoping his fee will show Cisse to be a snip at 414m

Adam

Established Member
Patrick - We have the best squad colletively, with the best ability to fill players into our system.

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,31-1144889,00.html

thats it, chelsea officially have the best squad in europe. i secretly hoped we could get this player (IMO player of the champions league this year) but chelsea have got their grubby hands on him. the hope now is that the gelling time required between now and christamas, which includs adapting to new tactics, would do enough to hamper a title bid.

They had a better squad than us last season as well.

He is a very good player but I wonder how they will fit him in, play three at the back or drop Gallas.

Sol man

How useless has peter Kenyon been for chelski. He deals with negotiations and apart from Kezman he has been very poor.

A

Anonymous

Another one... he has been good with both Porto and Portugal

Porto should ask lot more not because the player deserve it but because

chelsea will buy.

I hope we get trabilsi soon.

Gooner_Milton

Way overpriced, if it was Juve or even Real it would have been 10 million not 17 million. Chel$ki are painting themselves into a corner, their future deals will subsequently be more and more expensive because of their willingness to pay exorbient prices for mediocre/unproven/overhyped players.

kanuuu

Established Member
Is he going to replace Gallas? waste of money when uve got someone as good as Gallas, although money isn't really an object, why buy so many players who wont get into the first team when they havent got a quality right winger yet.

visitor99

kanuuu said:
Is he going to replace Gallas? waste of money when uve got someone as good as Gallas, although money isn't really an object, why buy so many players who wont get into the first team when they havent got a quality right winger yet.
A quality third CB was absolutely required. Last season Gallas and Terry didn't particularly have a lot of injuries - just missing the odd game here and there as well as Gallas playing a couple of games at RB and getting a virus late in the season. But those absences added up and and the Gallas/Terry partnership played less than half of the EPL games - 16 of 38 games.

The other 22 games featured a much weaker CB pairing which included either the past-it Desailly or inexperienced Huth. Another CD who was better than Huth/Desailly was essential.

IMO Gallas/Carvalho would be the best partnership, though I'd go Gallas/Terry to start the season at United.

If there was one signing that could possibly have been surplus it would be the new RB Ferriera. Without him Chelsea could have started with Johnson as the first choice RB, and used Gallas as cover. Then they would have had 4 quality players for three positions (Gallas, Terry, Carvalho and Johnson for RB and the two CBs) with Huth another lesser backup for CB.

Although in terms of matching players to positions Ferriera's signing was possibly not required, I think he is very important to Mourinho's plans for how Chelsea are going to play, and has a lot to do with the absence of a right winger that you mention.

It looks like Mourinho has absolutely no intention of playing a genuine right winger. From the little I saw of Porto last season, and what Chelsea have shown in the pre-season it will be a very compact midfield diamond. In overly simplistic terms the middle of the park will be packed with central midfielders. Duff or Robben can provide width on the left, but on the right the width usually associated with a traditional winger will come from the right back - Ferriera.

Top Bottom