• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Two more strikers lost this week...

MAK

with Aliadiere injured and Jeffers sold we find ourselves 2 strikers down with just days to go before the start of the season. With Wiltord and Kanu sold that leaves us very short. Reyes was bought for this season and to a lesser extent van Persie.

In midfield we have sold Parlour and probably Vieira with only Flamini coming in.

At the back we have let Keown go and have no replacement. Cygan is getting better and Senderos is untried. Where is the cover for Lauren?

Perhaps this is the season when AW does what Fergie did back in 95-96 and really give the kids a chance. They certainly look more than capable.

What happens when we get hit by injuries and suspensions?

Gooner_Milton

In Wenger we trust.

I can't remember being this excited about our youth for the longest time. Former Arsenal youth like Upson, Stephen Hughes, Graham Barrett etc. couldn't cut it because of lack of quality. On the other hand this new batch look like world beaters.

I think we're fine as we are. The likes of Jeffers/Wiltord certainly won't win the Champions League for us. They've had their chance, we need to move on and give that chance to the next generation.

Mark

Established Member
I think kids will get a chance. They look very promising. This is how I see it:

GK: Lehmann, Almunia
RB: Lauren, Hoyte
CB: Campbell, Toure, Cygan, Senderos, Hoyte(can also play here if needed)
LB: Cole, Clichy, maybe even Garry.
RM: Ljungberg, Pennant, Flamini if necessary
CM: Vieira (hopefully), Gilberto, Edu, Flamini, Cesc
LM: Pires, Reyes, Van Persie, Clichy
ST: Henry, Bergkamp, Reyes, Van Persie, Ljungberg can also play there

We have been linked with numerous CMs, so we may see Carrick or someone add more depth to that position. We have also been linked with Angulo which would add depth to the RM/Striker position.

A lot of young players in there, but they look very capable and surely Wenger can bring the best out of them. This, hopefully, is their year.

Gooner_Milton

I mean here you have a group of youth replacing the likes of Wiltord, Jeffers, Kanu, Keown, Parlour etc. Players on huge wage bills. Wage money that can be better spent elsewhere.

With all due respect to the above players, they were borderline squad players anyway, not 1st XI starters. Hell did Jeffers even start a EPL game last season?

I mean how awful can they be? They're certainly not going to all start scoring own goals.

I reckon they'll do just fine if given the chance. If we can't buy big like Chelski or the Mancscum, we'll just have to look from within the youth system.

Buying a 'star' player or one with 'experience' doesn't necessary mean he'll fit right in immediately or if he will ever at all. Look at Veron and Crespo for crissakes.

brianfrance

Established Member
Mark said:
Is it totally unrealistic that we could get Saviola on loan?
It seems Saviola prefers Monaco - as he said - but Deschamps is also chasing Anelka, he may prefer the frenchman
Anyway, the first thing needed, it's a new striker for Barça (Etoo'o/Baros/Anelka/Cissé was linked btw) then Saviola can be loaned.

Mark

Established Member
I think if we could get Saviola on loan it would be fantastic. So many options. I'd love to see Wenger make a move. Saviola may prefer Monaco though because it would be easier to get a place there than here with Reyes and Bergkamp in such fine form.

brianfrance

Established Member
Of course it would be easier for him to shine at Monaco, and the "Morientes" example is known now
Players can restart their career in France!

Gooner_Milton

I think Saviola is a bit too lightweight though. He'll need awhile to bulk up and acclimatise to the EPL and by the time he's done that the season will probably be over

Remember, it took Reyes at least half a year to get used to the Premiership. Saviola is far smaller than Reyes, if we do acquire him, he won't make an impact immediately (if at all).

Ideally, I would like Eto'o but failing that, Morientes will more than suffice.

Of course as I've already pointed out, if our Youth (RVP, Lupoli, Bentley, Ryan Smith) can make the grade, all the better. We can save on the money.

MAK

If Paddy does leave as expected I would like to offer the name of George Boateng as a possible replacement. Once touted as the Dutch Vieira, the next Davids or Seedorf, he career seems to have stalled having opted to play for Villa & Boro after his initial spell at Coventry. He certainly knows the Premiership and may prove an adequate addition to the squad.

Any thoughts? He is still about isn't he?

Mark

Established Member
MAK said:
If Paddy does leave as expected I would like to offer the name of George Boateng as a possible replacement. Once touted as the Dutch Vieira, the next Davids or Seedorf, he career seems to have stalled having opted to play for Villa & Boro after his initial spell at Coventry. He certainly knows the Premiership and may prove an adequate addition to the squad.

Any thoughts? He is still about isn't he?

Afraid not, mate.

Gooner_Milton

Boateng is midtable quality.

Along with the likes of Thomas Gravesen, Jamie Redknapp etc.

Xabi Alonso, Steven Gerrard, Michael Ballack. Those are the type of players we should be looking at.

Failing that, a young but talented unknown like Flamini or a Wenger gem yet to be discovered will do just fine.

Boateng is almost 30 and honestly, not that good.

Don't forget. We got the young and upcoming mullet boy in our ranks.

brianfrance

Established Member
Jean-Pierre Papin :eek:ops: :!:
Morientes would be good, really
Also I read somewhere Nonda from Monaco is for sale; Can be an excellent 3th or 4th striker

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game

Latest posts

Top Bottom