• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto

Henry IV

Gilberto is one of my favourite players and he was really putting himself around in Sunday's game. He'll be the experienced head in centre-midfield in PV4 goes and I'm sure he can do a great job. He's rarely injured which is good, although now that I've said that I've probably jinxed him and he'll limp off with an injury.

lee1001

Established Member
I think we could see a new Gilberto this year, he was always in Vieira's shadow and generally let Vieira do his rampaging runs, staying behind to mop up. With Vieira going maybe he will have more of a say in midfield, we know he is quick and likes to get forward to support the attack, he can head pretty well (ala Leicester away last year) tackle and distribute the ball fairly well.

Maybe thats why when Vieira did not play last year we still produced the results.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Well, if Vieira ends up leaving, he'll be our senior central midfielder, so Id expect him to take a bit more responsibility in midfield. Watching the 03/04 review dvd, I noticed that Gilberto was alot making strong runs through midfield ala. Vieira, which led to goals. He is capable of being more than just a blocking midfielder, and I think he'll show this more this season.

lee1001

Established Member
Gazza Martinez said:
Well, if Vieira ends up leaving, he'll be our senior central midfielder, so Id expect him to take a bit more responsibility in midfield. Watching the 03/04 review dvd, I noticed that Gilberto was alot making strong runs through midfield ala. Vieira, which led to goals. He is capable of being more than just a blocking midfielder, and I think he'll show this more this season.

Agreed. Exactly what I was suggesting.

JazzG

Established Member
He at times has lacked the self belief to drive at opponents like Paddy has in the past. He also is sometimes scared to get stuck in with other CMs, in the community shield I saw him go for more 50-50s than I have in the past, almost like he knew he had to take more responsibility with Cesc by his side.

kanuuu

Established Member
Gilberto always seems to make good runs and gets into good positions but as soon as he gets the ball in an offensive position he loses control or falls over, this is probably due to his lack of confidence on the ball.

KingReyes

Established Member
JazzG said:
He at times has lacked the self belief to drive at opponents like Paddy has in the past. He also is sometimes scared to get stuck in with other CMs, in the community shield I saw him go for more 50-50s than I have in the past, almost like he knew he had to take more responsibility with Cesc by his side.

I agree with his tackles Jazz, I think his yellow card record proves that. But I was impressed with him in the CS, if he can continue that kind of form he'll become a much better player. Maybe Wenger had a word with to take more responsibility.

johe

He's a quiet man, and a quiet player. That's just the way he is. He doesn't get many yellows because he just 'feels' so innocent, but I think the refs on to him, he got more yellows last year than he did the previous. He doesn't make the big crunching sliding tackles that Paddy does, but when he hits, he hits hard and usually not very clean. It's annoying for opponents, and they get wound up and get carded easily.

Mark

Established Member
He hasn't looked confident at times, but in recent games that I've seen he has looked really good and does a great job in midfield and can support the attack if necessary. He tends to do this even better in CL matches.

kazu

yeah, i have to admit that some of his tackles can look clumsy and he lacks composure in front of goal... well, players always improve under wenger and he does look a better player so far...

a humble and likeable fella, i hope he does well this season!

CMS

i think gilberto could never break through, beacuse everyone looked at vieira and directly compared him with vieira.......

we didn't win the CL with viera, so may be we can without him and an improving mr. silva.....

TRUE GUNNER

I feel gilberto has been overshadowed by vieira (understandably) and maybe with the extra responsiblity he will grow and grow and become a brilliant midfielder, i think he is a very un sung hero at highbury, he might not be speactacular on the eye but what he does is so effective and he works hard.

I think this might be the start of the real gilberto if paddy goes.

Adam

Established Member
Gilberto is not saying rely on me - he is actually shifting the responsiblity on the rest of the team!

lewdikris

Established Member
I think Silva would be at his absolute best alongside an attacking midfielder, which is what he'll probably get most of the time if Paddy goes - it suits his game, and lets him sit back and do what he's best at, using his positional sense to push attacks into places they can't hurt us.

Add to that that he's always outscored Paddy (just), and that his breaks into the box are really pretty good (all his goals have been pretty good as well), and, well, I think he'd handle it...

johe

Adam said:
Gilberto is not saying rely on me - he is actually shifting the responsiblity on the rest of the team!

It's because he's so humble, you know. He doesn't want to blow his own horn. He couldn't go on saying 'Yeah, I'll do whatever it was Vieira did'. Especially as he knows he isn't guaranteed a starting place. So instead he tells us that everyone will have to take their share of the responsibility - which is completely true! :wink:

dsurg

johe said:
Adam said:

It's because he's so humble, you know. He doesn't want to blow his own horn. He couldn't go on saying 'Yeah, I'll do whatever it was Vieira did'. Especially as he knows he isn't guaranteed a starting place. So instead he tells us that everyone will have to take their share of the responsibility - which is completely true! :wink:
Rightly so....and I do believe our two brazilians can hold their own in midfield in the Champions Lge....I am more concerned about the premier lge..

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom