• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Too Loyal or Too Greedy to go?

Why did PV4 stay at Arsenal?

• He just adores Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MADrid didn't offer him enough cash

• MADrid didn't offer Arsenal enough cash

• Total voters

cappy

Do you really believe (and I mean really believe, not want to believe) that PV4 stayed because of his love for our club or do you, like me, think that the Real deal was cut short because of cash demands?

I honestly don't believe it would have taken this long to decide if it wasn't about money. I think all this time his agent has been trying and trying to get a better offer from MADrid but failed so he's staying put - on a rumoured to be much improved wage at Highbury.

I'm not going to be joining the masses in singing Paddy's name on Sunday I'm afraid. I'll have to see him pull on the shirt and give 100% again until I can stretch to that.

Couple of beers outside the ground might make me change my mind though ;)

Split

I've had an hour or so to let it all sink in, and now I can safely say I believe paddy stayed cos he loves Arsenal and feels he has more great times to look forward to as a gooner!

If he did really want to go, I'm sure he could have agreed a deal with Real and Arsenal wouldn't keep a player against his will.

Gooner_Milton

I'll give Patrick the benefit of the doubt.

He stays because of strong ties and various factors at Arsenal Real cannot match. In other words what the man said.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Exactly, if he wanted to go, he would have gone. He doesn't need oodles of money.

So he stayed because after much deliberation, he decided it was best for him to do so.

johe

Option 1, easily. Alternatively Arsène envoked some of his persuasion powers. I think Vieirão just thought it out very thoroughly, then came to the conclusion that his prospects at Arsenal ar brighter than at Madrid. There he would just be one of the endless list of players who have won the CL, whereas at Arsenal, he would be the first ever Captain to lift the CL trophy.

Andrew

It wasn't about money at all. No matter what Real could have at least matched any contract we would offer. They pull money out of their arses there.

A

Anonymous

I do not think the options reflect the full complexity of The Vieira Saga.

Heh, that's almost like a book title---> From award winning author Kwame, comes the New York Times best selling phenomen, THE VIEIRA SAGA! From betrayal to redemption, all is captured in beautiful detail whilst the author takes us on a thrilling ride against the backdrop of beautiful scenery of France, UK, and Spain. You shall be hooked, won't be able to put it down, will ponder each second what the outcome of the Vieira saga shall be.

Arnie

The guy couldn't agree personal terms.

That's all you need to know, rightly or wrongly he didn't think what he was being offered at madrid was good enough and so he came crawling back to us. That's what personal terms are, money negotiations!! Obviouslly not what he wanted so he came back to us and no fool would have said no!! I wouldn't say he was greedy he just wasn't offered enough cash. I would class him as a galactico, so would most of you, so he should be paid like one!!

baccy_man

Established Member
as in previous years he has held the club to ransom and got a pay rise . it will be interesting to see how commited he is when he plays again

Ladygooner

I think the reason Paddy stayed was all of the above!

I think he was very close to joining Real Madrid. But they proved they didn't really want him as much as he originally thought, they didn't want to pay Arsenal what he was worth, plus they didn't want to pay his wages on a par with the big "stars" at Real. Once Paddy had considered all his options, he probably realised he would be better off staying where he is at Arsenal - he knows what side his bread is buttered - he's not silly. Plus, Paddy was probably in two minds, wasn't sure if he wanted Arsenal or Real. If he had truly wanted Real above all else, he would have taken what they offered him.

However, I am still not happy with the way he has gone about things. I will always sing his name, as I would any Arsenal player. But with each summer that has passed, I have gradually lost respect for him, not as a player, but as a person. How can so much speculation surround one player. He's had more publicity over the last few years than David Beckham (our own national "treasure"). I don't think I can tolerate another summer of it, my nerves have been shot to pieces!

Smartly Dressed Morris

Apparantly there were no disagreements about money , the deal was about to go through when Patrick changed his mind - this from an interview given by David Dein on Skysports.

Jasper

Actually Patrick had a good thing going here at Highbury.

If he were to leave he would have been paid less.

Also he would have to move and resettle in another country. He's been in London 8 years and the thought of having to move overnight might be a shock personally like Beckham had. New manager, new teammates, etc.

Pat has a pretty big ego and in Real he won't be the only one. A small fish in a big sea or a big fish in a small pond perhaps.

Also how sure was he that he could have won further with Madrid than Arsenal?

Ultimately it was moving from a stable environment into an unsure one that probably scared Patrick the most.

Gunner Ossie

Think about how stupid this sounds

A guy spends 1 month deciding wether or not leave his girlfriend. Throughout that month his girlfreind is seeking confirmation having heard rumours that he was thinking of leaving her. Having received several overtures from another girl throughout the month and an untimatum from his girlfreind, the guy eventually tells his girlfriend that, having thought seriously about leaving her for this other girl, hes not going to leave her.

Now, Lets be bloody realistic here. Although the girl might initially be pleased to know he has decided not to leave her, she SHOULD and almost certainly WOULD feel PISSED OFF about the fact that he even felt the need to think about it for a whole month.

LET ME ASK YOU LOT

How many of you guys/girls could tell someone you say you care about that your thinking of leaving them for someone else, and then seriously expect them to even want to talk too you after 1 month of deliberation.

I can just imagine the conversdation now

Girl: Hello whos this

GUY : Hello, its me and ive decided i love you too much to leave you

GUY: Hello

Exactly!

So i understand those who still feel pissed off with PADDY

Serip

Gunner Ossie said:
Think about how stupid this sounds
Sorry but your analogy itself is stupid and doesn't apply here. He is a regular human being making one of the most important decisions in his life, I don't begrudge the man for taking a month to come to a conclusion especially as I regard it to be the right one.

jacc_7_1

i would say he stayed cos he loved this club just like us!!
else he would have left when madrid first came in and not be in a dilenma

wrightgooner

Sorry, but for me it was the money. Not only the money, as I'm sure the whole Arsenal "thing" is deeply embedded within PV4.

But I still have this nagging thought that he thought Madrid were not paying his worth when compared with Beckham - for example

I will be very interested in his reception from the Highbury faithful - I suspect it will be blind loyalty - for me I'm delighted he is staying - but a bitter taste remains :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom