• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thanx to Owen for Viera Staying

A

Anonymous

Lots of people seem to think that Wenger didn;t go to madrid as they weren't offering him a "galatico's" wage.
"think that WENGER didnt go" !!!!!!????
OOooppss :lol:

weelip

Aussie said:
Owen will be judged on how many shirts he sell and not the amount of goals he scores.

Definately agreed.

On the other hand, just what is Owen thinking??!!! He aint gonna break in to the Madrid's team with Raul, Morientes and Ronaldo above him in the pecking order.

He is definately following the footstep of Steve Mcmanaman.

faki00

sungura said:
I think we all know Paddy was going to leave, but I think that the Owen (rapid fire) saga has saved us...
It took Real 3 days to agree that Owen would get a galacticos wage...and it took them a month to deny Paddy deserved the same...
Would you leave?
:?:

Another way of looking at it is that they only signed owen because they failed to sign paddy. Pereze's slogan is a "galatico" every year once he realized that viera wasn't comming he had to work quickly to bring a big name in. Perez realized that he would look stupid if he din't bring a big name in.

Jinn

Established Member
I don't think Owen saved Vieira.

Madrid didn't want to get Owen more than Vieira. Owen doesn't help their team at all. He'll be a squad player.

As faki00 said, I think Owen was merely settling for signing someone - someone less than who they wanted, and someone who plays in a position they don't need reinforcing.

Vieira would have offered so much more to Madrid than Owen.

patrick42uk

Established Member
galactico = marketability in the far east. my thinking is that this is based primarily on good looks. this maybe could indirectly have something to do with race. the exemption is ronaldo, but if i'm correct, madrid signed him j ust after his superb world cup showing in the far east which gave him huge popularity up there.

just interested, if ronaldo isnt black, just what is he then? remember that some south-americans are of african origin. so i dont really think you could class brazilian players like gilberto, ronaldo, fabaino, ronaldinho e.t.c as white. the white brazilians are the likes of lucio, edmilson kaka e.t.c to prove the point, i remember reeading ronaldinho was subjected to racial abuse from gremio fans when he left their club. the words used were specifically derogatory ones about blacks.

KingReyes

Established Member
I don't think Owen saved us from Vieira leaving, people say it took Owen 3 days to complete his move but he was convinced he was to leave Liverpool. Vieira took longer because as he said he wanted time to make the right choice, it wasn't as easy for him and thats why it took so long. This could have been his last chance to join Real and hence the long wait.

As for Owen going to Madrid, it is a surprise as it could be a bad move for him but this could be Ronaldo's last season at Real. Not too sure about this but maybe the Owen signing was done as a long term replacement for Ronaldo.

calvinngai88

Well, Benitez replied at the press that "If Real Madrid came for a bid for Owen, we can't reject it.". Does that mean he actually didn't want Owen anyway somehow? Looks like it :lol: And also, Owen was signed just to boost the shirt sales. Nothing much. Now Real Madrid may be looking for the last alternative, Liverpool's target, Xabi Alonso.

sienna

I don't think Benitez was too bothered about Owen going. It could be a good thing for Liverpool.

Jinn

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
galactico = marketability in the far east. my thinking is that this is based primarily on good looks. this maybe could indirectly have something to do with race. the exemption is ronaldo, but if i'm correct, madrid signed him j ust after his superb world cup showing in the far east which gave him huge popularity up there.

just interested, if ronaldo isnt black, just what is he then? remember that some south-americans are of african origin. so i dont really think you could class brazilian players like gilberto, ronaldo, fabaino, ronaldinho e.t.c as white. the white brazilians are the likes of lucio, edmilson kaka e.t.c to prove the point, i remember reeading ronaldinho was subjected to racial abuse from gremio fans when he left their club. the words used were specifically derogatory ones about blacks.

I would say they are neither black nor white - there's a lot of interraciallity in Brazil.

Split

theguvnor said:
Lots of people seem to think that Wenger didn;t go to madrid as they weren't offering him a "galatico's" wage.
"think that WENGER didnt go" !!!!!!????
OOooppss :lol:

ooops indeed! :eek:ops:

also I said that all galatico's are attacking players, but Carlos is a galatico :?

ethanen

Jinn said:
patrick42uk said:

I would say they are neither black nor white - there's a lot of interraciallity in Brazil.
let's compromise on semi black

Soler

Established Member
Jinn said:
patrick42uk said:

"Half cast" is the term I heard Pele' use on a football documentary.

nnaife

Thats exactly what i think Patrick42uk, i don't know why people from the far east have this "STUPID HARDON" for Beckham and Owen in the looks department.

Now that Owen has left liverpool will the thai pm now want to buy Real.

Are they obsessed with their european boyish charms over their football skills??? I must say i had a very cynical and disdainful view of the Japnese Korean overreaction to the Beckham circus at the 2002 world cup.
Ronaldo was surely the star of that tournament yet there were hordes of screaming fans young and old, male and female wetting themselves for a glimpse of Beckham.
What the hell has he ever done to deserve this sort of insane adjulation and god like status, i swear if lady diana was still alive and touring the far east she won't have been able to compete with beckham. lol

I reckon the far east fans (not the decent ones of whom there are many) see Beckham and Owen as Manga cartoon characters whose looks are the decisive factor when it comes being the best at football.

But for a club like Real Mardid to deny far superior footballers like Vieira a "galactico" wage and offer it instead to sawn off punks like Beckham and Owen based on their unsavioury obsessive popularity in the far east is very unhealthy for the sport.

I heard Perez don't even want to sign Ronaldinhio because he was "too ugly" to be considered a galactico at Real Madrid lol.

What the hell would he make of Carlos Tevez who besides being rather odd in the looks department but is probably the most gifted young player in south america.

A player should be paid according to his contribution on the pitch and not his looks, i feel the hollywood star factor encroaching steadily over football.

quattro

Thats exactly what i think Patrick42uk, i don't know why people from the far east have this "STUPID HARDON" for Beckham and Owen in the looks department.
i resent that. then again, maybe you're referring to girls here, which i am not. ;D

anyway, just glad that florentino perez doesn't really care about his club's football, though i might be the only one here thinking that its the breakdown of vieira's move that made for them opening the door to owen on the fly.

lewdikris

Established Member
ethanen said:
OH... good case.. they dont have any black players in the squad i think.

Absolute ****ing rubbish man. Along with any suggestion that 'galactico' is some kind of racial thing.

Ronaldo and Carlos are both of Afro-brazilian descent, Zidane is Algerian.

Complete bullshit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom