• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

How We Stole Cesc From Barca

MightyArsenal

I just heard an interesting story from the radio. Gabrielle marcotti says the only reason we nicked cesc from barca is because of an internal feud between the two presidents ie gaspart and laporta. It seems out of revenge gaspart purposely allowed cesc to leave. The story is when laporta was looking through the players records at barca he came upon fabregas's folder and when he opened it it was empty except for a note that said something along the lines of " this is one player you wont have!"

And to think we got him :)

JazzG

Established Member
I heard something different. When Laporta came and checked his folder it said something like "Fabregas is the best player to ever come through our youth sytem, he was right under our noses and we couldn't see him" (not exact words but something like that)

MightyArsenal

Marcotti usually tells the truth, and it would make sense. Gaspart lost the elections and so made sure laporta wouldnt be successful by selling their best youth player to us, lets not forget dein and gaspart got on as we sold overmars and petit to them.

JazzG

Established Member
I read this ages ago though, like when we signed him last year. It was on the evening standards site and they are usually very reliable. Doubt they will still have the article though, let me see if I can find it

hmm had a look and can't find anything grr!

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, let's hope Wenger can instill some loyalty in him, because he's gonna have to be super-loyal to resist all the offers that are gonna come his way in the next few years!

Arjan

Anyone interested in Saviola??

He is allowed to leave Barca as well, probably on loan, but he won't play for them this season.

Another folder: We had him, but Wenger turned Javier Saviola into the best striker ever? :wink:

JazzG

Established Member
hehe ;)

Dunno about Saviola, looked pretty good a few years back but just hasn't performed with Barca. Also Argentine players historically haven't done well here, then again nor have Spanish but look at Reyes and Cesc so far!

Arjan

JazzG said:
hehe ;)

Dunno about Saviola, looked pretty good a few years back but just hasn't performed with Barca. Also Argentine players historically haven't done well here, then again nor have Spanish but look at Reyes and Cesc so far!

remember that saviola was never bought by Barca, no-one at barca knew him when he signed for 36!! million euro!
The spanish media had him tapped up, he even had a weekly column, stating his love for Barca.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
If I remember correctly Cesc was very happy to move to London coz his parents have a house here and he's been to London many times on holiday.

westo

I think its international law that u parents have to have a house in the country of where u want to play for 2 yrs before u sign, |I heard marcotti say that Dein arranged the house for them because he was desperate for Cesc.

johe

Saviola is no team player though. He always shoots even when there are others better placed. Do we really need someone like that? An alternative would be that, since Bergkamps form is rocketing, we could try and get him after this season? Henry and Bergkamp up front looked lethal today against Everton, but with Reyes on the left, we would have Pires on the bench and he's just waaay too good to be on the bench permanently or even in rotation! To make sure Saviola will get sufficient time on the pitch, he would have to come next year. Just thoughts. ;)

juz7_pi12es

I heard something different. When Laporta came and checked his folder it said something like "Fabregas is the best player to ever come through our youth sytem, he was right under our noses and we couldn't see him" (not exact words but something like that)
cool

AFCG7

Established Member
We have 3 fit strikers at present.. Bergkamp Henry Reyes, problem is that Bergkamp cant fly so that will be down to 2 in the CL , some will say Van Persie but that still leaves us with only 3 front men for the CL campaign..if anybody were to get injured or suspended we would be extremely low on striking resources in European competition.
The dilemna facing Wenger though is to find a striker good enough who will be happy to play as 3rd or 4th choice striker in the team.

johe

AFCG7 said:
We have 3 fit strikers at present.. Bergkamp Henry Reyes, problem is that Bergkamp cant fly so that will be down to 2 in the CL , some will say Van Persie but that still leaves us with only 3 front men for the CL campaign..if anybody were to get injured or suspended we would be extremely low on striking resources in European competition.
The dilemna facing Wenger though is to find a striker good enough who will be happy to play as 3rd or 4th choice striker in the team.

This is where a loan could come in handy, or a young player who wouldn't demand playing week in week out. A loan could be ideal, but the question is again, will they be happy to play 4th striker? Saviola could perhaps, if signed with an option to buy and being promised more first team footie when Berg's retires.

Eastrek

johe said:
AFCG7 said:

This is where a loan could come in handy, or a young player who wouldn't demand playing week in week out. A loan could be ideal, but the question is again, will they be happy to play 4th striker? Saviola could perhaps, if signed with an option to buy and being promised more first team footie when Berg's retires.

Wasn't we strongly linked with some Brazilian striker during the summer? perhaps Wenger will pull something out the bag just before the transfer window shuts. Don't forget about this Italian kid, the new Del Peiro... be too young to realistically think about challenging for first team football, but maybe as fourth choice striker and get a few substitute appearances here and there

johe

Eastrek said:
johe said:
AFCG7 said:

Wasn't we strongly linked with some Brazilian striker during the summer? perhaps Wenger will pull something out the bag just before the transfer window shuts. Don't forget about this Italian kid, the new Del Peiro... be too young to realistically think about challenging for first team football, but maybe as fourth choice striker and get a few substitute appearances here and there

Well, if not the new Del Piero, but at least he scored as many goals at U-19 level. ;) The thing is though, I've heard from an Italian friend, that this guy is more of a real striker than what are used to in players like Henry, Reyes, Bergkamp, Kanu etc, so it would be harder for someone playing up front for us as a box striker at that age, bcause he isn't physically fully developed, whereas a more unconventional striker could get away with being physically smaller.

beanz

"Serendipity", what a lovely word and it's so apt in Cesc's case, it means "A happy and unexpected accident" :mrgreen:

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom