• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Week no.20: LAUREN

bobbypires

Established Member
Right wing exists at Arsenal! Last week it was Ljungberg's and this is dedicated to Lauren, the Spanish Cameroonian. He has improved a lot since he came 4 years ago. Boro game was his 100th in the Premiership. Another 100, Ralph?

Name Bisan Etame Mayer Lauren
Born 19 January 1977, Londi Kribi
Position Defender
Country Cameroon
Height 180 cm / 5'11
Weight 71 kg / 157 lb
Joined Arsenal 30 May 2000
Arsenal Debut Premier League v Sunderland (a) 19th Aug 2000 (Lost 1-0)
Previous Clubs Utrera, Sevilla B, Levante, Mallorca

He's half Spanish, so you can write in Spanish. With his funny Andalucian accent. :D

Aussie

Established Member
Well he was solid as a rock last season and really only had one bad game which was at home to Sp**s. Ill be happy with more off the same from him this year.

He was the only player not to score a goal for us last year that played consistantly.

arsena1

1 thing I will never forget is Lauren taking the penalty against Sp**s in our
double winning season in 01/02 when the other players didn't want to take it
and he struck it down the middle right at the keeper and the keeper dove and didn't save it. that was both class, mental fortitude, funny and luck all together.
my legs went jelly at the moment he struck it.

Mark

Established Member
Lauren is a very solid player but sadly he is one of the players who gets the blame when things don't go right. He had a few bad games last season but was otherwise consistent and I imagine he will continue to be. Defending and going forward he is a great full back.

Henry IV

Lauren was so brave with than penalty against Sp**s in April 2002. He's a consistent performer without being overly spectacular. I hope he can keep up his level of consistency this season.

johe

He was one of our best performers in the group stage of the CL last year, he really got forward alot and put some good crosses in. Good thing with Cameroonians is their versatility, as most of their national teams players can play in 2-3 positions. ;)

All in all very good right back, probably the best in the Premiership. That Paolo Ferreira was pretty good for Porto, but at the moment I'd rather have Lauren as he's already used to the Prem.

KingReyes

Established Member
Lauren has really improved his defensive attributes over the past season, something he lacked a bit when he first arrived. Very good tehnically going forward and when he is on one of his overlapping runs he gives us another option in attack. Still lacks a bit of pace running back on defense but rarely caught due to his great anticipation.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Alot of us forget that Lauren has only been playing as a right back for 3 seasons - its unbelievable how quickly he's established himself as our number 1 right back. He's developed so much throughout the years, his no nonsense attitude fits in well with his tough tackling and his solid, consistent performance for the club.

sean

glad to read on here he is getting a bit of respect.
because of the way arsenal play you require a ball playing attacking right back and not an out and out defender.

only johnson of chelsea will overshadow him and he cannot get a game and lauren at the moment has better concentration for blindside runs than does johnson.

tourre does an outstanding job there but is needed in the middle.

Canuck

Established Member
Lauren put in another good performance today, but had a couple of sloppy challenges, and was really lucky not to get sent off...

Gooner_Milton

I thought he had an absolute stinker. Gave away the ball, sloppy challanges was lucky not to get sent off at all.

I'm sure he'll bounce back up of course. Still first choice right back in my book.

Mark

Established Member
AFrican_Gunner said:
Lauren is rock as ever.I may be Biased but lauren is the best african defender 'round n havin' in arsenal is just a pleasure!!

I think there are better African defenders than Lauren. Toure comes to mind.

gooner4eva

I am not too convinced about Lauren's defending. He seems to have these days when he has the bit between his teeth and performs well. Otherwise he seems to perform as if he is cross with everyone else. Still he does okay and if he wasnt good he wouldnt have been a regular in the team for so long. I just wish he was more commanding as a defender. He also need to develop a better understanding with Freddie and Pennant now.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom