• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Should Cesc partner Vieira?

Who should partner Vieira?

• Cesc

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gilberto

• Edu

• Flamini

• Total voters

kanuuu

Established Member
I'm not sure, Cesc is in supreme form but we know that the Vieira gilberto partnership has been excellent for the last season and they seem to compliment each other in that gilberto will always stay back and shore thing up when paddy gets forward, but i think we should go for cesc and Vieira to see if they can form a lethal partnership.

phenn

Like Wegner says Cesc is too young to play every game. He needs to be protected for the future so he doesn't burn out. I'd rather see him come on as a sub later in the game to keep him from playing too many full 90s.

Jasper

We kinda have a traffic jam at midfield.

MC=Vieira, Gilberto, Cesc, Edu, Flamini
ML=Pires, Reyes, Van Persie

I think the biggest problem is who starts in ML? Pires or Reyes?

Another problem is what if? When Vieira does start instead of Cesc, we start becoming ineffective? But honestly I do not think either Cesc or the others could start every premiership game and not get tired out.

nosneb

i think its fair to say that cesc has exceeded all expectations with his performances thus far, but i still think he needs to be protected as he is still young and his body isnt fully developed..

IMO, gilberto should continue being vieira's 1st choice partner.. he has upped his performances thus far as our captain recovers and im hopeful that he can maintain this form even after paddy makes his return as he seems to have found his place in our team..

also, i may be over-speculating at this point but by playing cesc too early, i think we run the risk of him either A)him getting slightly arrogant or B)him leaving by the age of around 25 as by then he may seek new pastures or C)do a kluivert and due to his early success, lose the plot altogether
ok, i might cop abit of flak for points A, B and C and they might be totally untrue, but even if tat is the case, i'd still pick gilberto over cesc as 1st choice next to paddy

kazu

vieira and gilberto are alike in a way as in they are solid holding the line, getting the tackles in, and in gilberto's case doing the 'invisible' stuff... :angel

cesc brings in more options for the attack, yet at the same time is not greedy for possession like other attacking midfielders... i think that's the reason why wenger is playing him in central midfield... cos all his formations have been with 2 defensively sound central midfielders: vieira, petit, parlour, gilberto, edu... edu can't tackle as hard but his size is put to good use there...

i hope that wenger will try out the cesc-vieira combination and if that doesn't work, we can get gilberto or edu in....

beanz

I think Arsène will carefully choose the games he plays Cesc in, he is a very special player, but is'nt yet the finished article.
When Paddy is back on top form, I'd really like to see them together for a couple of matches, just to see if the chemistry works between them.

juz7_pi12es

when vieira is fit, cesc will get games like how clichy last season i suppose
play the last 10-20 mins OR play when vieira is out injured again

we must protect him too, so be patient

Split

I'd like to see Cesc carry on. but I think wenger will drop him and keep Giblets in, in order to 'protect' the youngster.

DaViEsW

Cesc has been majestic, but you need to remember he is barely seventeen year-old kid. Gilberto is really an unsung hero, he doesn't always get the credit for what I call his "behind the scenes" work. I think Cesc can be given a good 20 games this season, I mean I reckon Sir Wenger will start him in the Carling Cup Games/Early FA Cup rounds. Cesc is definately one for the future, but right now Arsenal's Engine Room is Vieira and Gilberto.

efurze

Against the better teams I think it should definitely be Viera-Gilbert/Edu. From what I hear, the boro game exposed how defensively vulnerable we can be when we're soft in the middle. But I think Cesc is a good option to have on the bench in tough games. If we're chasing the game, put him in for Gilberto for an offensive boost, he definitely brings creativity to the middle.

kanooo

Jasper said:

Another problem is what if? When Vieira does start instead of Cesc, we start becoming ineffective? But honestly I do not think either Cesc or the others could start every premiership game and not get tired out.

I think that Reyes, as well as Pires should be in the starting line up - in expense of Ljungberg. No disrespect to Freddie but I really believe that Pires is still far more better.

As for Vieira's partner in midfield, I really do not have a clue.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The fact that cesc is only 17 does not mean anything. I couldnt care less how old he is - aslong as he's performing better than gilberto and edu then he's good enough to be starting every game.

I personally think Arsène only wanted to give him a little bit of experience by starting him against united in the community shield - i dont think he was planning on starting him in our opening 3-4 league games but the way cesc performed gave Arsène no choice - he simply had to play him in more games because of how sensational he performed - he showed us that age doesnt matter - if he's good enough, then he's good enough.

He's only played 3 incredible games - the question isnt whether he's good enough to be partnering vieira - its whether he's good enough to play like he's played in the last 3 games - week in, week out, for the rest of the season. I think he is - but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

turtle

I would go for Gilberto, he gives more protection to the defence and being in the 1st team for so long, there is a better understanding between him and the defenders. We need Gilberto, especially before Campbell return from injury.

A

Anonymous

Jasper said:

i think they should both start, providing Wenger wants to play Bergkamp up front, then Reyes has to play on the left. We have all seen in the past how much Pires gives us, he helped to change the game, when he came on as sub against the Boro, and he gives so much more all round, then Freddie does, i say Reyes left, Pires on the right, and Bergkamp and Henry up front.

The only time Freddie should start is when Reyes plays up front so Pires can revert to left midfield and Freddie on the right, does anyone agree.

Mark

Established Member
Gilberto and Vieira will be our first choice midfield, I'm sure of it. Gilberto does an important job and we don't have any other midfielder who can do that. Obviously we will have injuries, suspensions and we will rest players, so the midfield will change around a lot. I don't think this is Flamini's year, I think he is going to be behind all our other midfielders, and he will sometimes fill in on the right.

Vieira and Fabregas would be a great partnership though, and we're bound to see it at some stage this season.

MightyArsenal

There is no way that he will play every game but the guy is good enough, if youve seen him play for spain U17's youwill know this.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
we certainly do have a jam at CM.... Paddy, Gilberto, Edu, Cesc, Flamini... thats a whole lotta players, and only 2 spots per game... as the season starts getting on, i think we will see Flamini and Cesc playing more for the reserves and in the cup matches only... (barring injuries)Paddy, Gilberto and Edu were our first 3 choices last year and they will be this year too... we didnt lose a league match last year, and i think that is proof that those players should be stuck with...

as great as Cesc has been in his first 3 matches, lets all keep in mind that it is 3 matches, against the "not the best" competition in the world (yes, we played ManUre, but a severely understrengthed one at that) and Everton and 'Boro... 'Boro should be a team we wiped the floor with, but we relied on our offence to bail us out...

against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, ManUre (full-strength), Villa, Newcastle, etc, we will not be seeing Cesc play... nor Flamini... i dont think he will play much in the first team this year at all.. we have MORE than enough cover in the center, and both Freddie and Pennant are ahead of him on the right... he is a "depth" player this season....

Spike

Established Member
Vieira + Edu.

Vieira's the defensive midfielder, Edu's the attacking midfielder.

Cesc is too young, give him more time to mature.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom