• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

ashley cole on right.

shaz

hello. another late night topic for me. again, please feel free to lock if mods feel it is unessasary.

i just wanted peoples opinion on my idea.
basically, i was thinking of maybe taking ashley cole on the right for more stability on the right. and then having clichy fill in for him on the left.

what do people think?

Ally

shaz said:
hello. another late night topic for me. again, please feel free to lock if mods feel it is unessasary.

basically, i was thinking of maybe taking ashley cole on the right for more stability on the right. and then having clichy fill in for him on the left.

what do people think?

Never uneccesary to put forward an idea mate.

Not sure about that though TBH - I still rate Lauren despite his antics last weekend - he's simply a good, solid right back who can be a rock as part of a STABLE backline. Which is about his (our?) problem just now methinks.

jeromelee

I think we've discussed this before? Including converting Clichy into RB as well?

But anyway, in my opinion I don't think it's necessary as we've Lauren and possibly Hoyte in that position now. But Lauren's really got to be more consistent. He played well for 3 games and then he did some crazy **** against the canaries. I'm just glad he didn't get sent off for his antiques in that match.

A.M.A.G.

'tis an interesting idea, but i doubt something like that would happen unless of serious injury... so may it never happen

Mark

Established Member
I do think we need a left footer on the right of midfield. It would suit the way we play better like right footed Pires on the left. Cole won't move position now, but Clichy playing on the right might be an idea.

huyha123

i think it excellent. maybe in training Clichy sometimes should play there in case we lack Lauren at CL matchs. :( too terrible to think more.

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
i have battled with the initial feelings of disgust and outrage that came up in me when i saw your post. i have supressed them. in the light of my desire to respect all opinions here, i will express my verdict on your idea in the shortest and most unoffensive way i can muster. i think its unnecessary and pretty much useless.

what is wrong with lauren?? when he is in the team of the season last year, everyone loves him. once there are rumours of a trabelsi deal, he is inadequate. the way opinions change here startles me. the man has done so much for us in the past few seasons and still doesnt get the respect he should get for being a starter in a team where average players dont exist and good players happily warm the bench. leave ralphy alone for God's sake!! when will this stop!?! i am not suggesting that he is the best in his position in the world but surely he is still ahead of clichy!! i feel ralph suffers in the eyes of gooners because he is not glamorous of flashy. he gets the job done and gives 2000%. we should not complain. could this be because he had a bad game against norwich? or is it just a lack of appreciation for our more work-manlike imports? in light of my belief that gooners never fail to appreciate the players, i will choose to believe that the norwich game is still clouding your evaluation of an excellent player. cole on the left lauren on the right. thats the way of sanity and thats the way of Arsène Wenger's Arsenal. thank you and goodnight.

jasonlohkh

nice idea for Clichy as RB but just as cover. Lauren is a consistent performer for us last season. Dun judge him just one game.

Canuck

Established Member
Now that we have established that Lauren is doing great, and we all love him to bits, lets move on. We are not looking to replace him, Wenger thought he might bring in some european experience. Now people keep talking about having a lack of experienced cover for RB and while this may be true. I believe that several people have already mentioned that every team in the Premship doesn't have cover for every position...look at ManU after Rio was put on ice. Plus if you had experienced cover for everyone, when would the youngsters get a chance to shine. The youngsters are coming along nicely, and sure in a pinch you could shuffle the back line to fill a gap.
Heck, if it was a worst case scenario we could always put Paddy in the back. (I hate to bring "Them" up again but on their preseason tour Fergie used Keano as a defender. I know it was only preseason but hey!)
Sol and Paddy holding the backline, would that be experienced enough for everyone?

Now if I've offended anyone...just close your eyes, plug your ears and sing the Flintstones song over and over again until you feel better. :mrgreen:

gooner4eva

Canuck said:
Heck, if it was a worst case scenario we could always put Paddy in the back. (I hate to bring "Them" up again but on their preseason tour Fergie used Keano as a defender. I know it was only preseason but hey!)
Sol and Paddy holding the backline, would that be experienced enough for everyone?
Roy Keane has been used as a defender often enough by Fungie. If things become real bad I am sure Vieira can more than fill that position....and he would surely be better than Keanwho?

quattro

really has nothing to do with lauren, but putting cole on the right will waste his rapport with henry and pires which is one of our already established attacking assets.

besides, i dont think weakening the strong part of your game to augment the weaker ones is a good strategy. imo, its a great way to turn your side from having an exceptionally strong facet to one that is average all over.

jeromelee

quattro said:
really has nothing to do with lauren, but putting cole on the right will waste his rapport with henry and pires which is one of our already established attacking assets.

besides, i dont think weakening the strong part of your game to augment the weaker ones is a good strategy. imo, its a great way to turn your side from having an exceptionally strong facet to one that is average all over.

Right on. But somehow Arsenal seem to lack the penetration necessary on the right. Almost all our goals start from work on the left. Lauren has great pace. Freddie's got pace and has pretty good ball control as well. And even with Reyes or Bergy playing on the right (in Reyes case when Bergy's not playing and Pires is playing LM) Arsenal just don't seem to be able to attack as frequently from the right as they do from the left. Of course there are the occasional attack from the right but just not as often or penetrative as from the left. Wonder why actually. Dont see anything wrong with Freddie or Bergy. Even with JP it still lacks the little something. And it's not that Lauren doesn't support well as well. Maybe AW just thought to try and bring someone in from the RB position to see if he can unlock more devastating attacks from the right as well

Sammer

Established Member
Cole is the best LB in the world.

Lauren has been doing his job well for months now. One bad game doesn´t change my view on a player.

KingReyes

Established Member
You put a player in his best position, Ash is one of the best LB's in the world. Putting him somewhere else would mean him not being as effective and that would only harm the team as a whole. Henry was put as a striker from a winger because Wenger felt he was better up there and he was right. I can't see Ash switching from LB to RB, he's a pure left sided fullback and the best at it.

Ridge

i think clichy is more like a left midfield player. mostly when he comes on, he subs pires.

sabret00the

Established Member
Ally said:
shaz said:

what do people think?

Never uneccesary to put forward an idea mate.

Not sure about that though TBH - I still rate Lauren despite his antics last weekend - he's simply a good, solid right back who can be a rock as part of a STABLE backline. Which is about his (our?) problem just now methinks.
i've never rated lauren, always seen him as a weak link, although he's not as weak a link as i thougth, he's still a weak link, but ashley on the right is a no.

kanuuu

Established Member
do think we need a left footer on the right of midfield. It would suit the way we play better like right footed Pires on the left.

Reyes could do that playing on the right.

Spike

Established Member
Cole has already adjusted playing on the left.

Putting him at RB is like playing Henry in Goal.

Top Bottom