• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Best attacking player of past 10 years

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 1,238

Whos our best left midfeilder of the past 10 years

• Andres Limpar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul Merson

• Marc Overmars

• Robert Pires

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tox

Im extremely fond of merson hes a great player who originated from my local club brentford. But this questions too easy, Pires.

jeromelee

Overmars and Pires ties it for me. Both equally effective for Arsenal yet both play differently.

A

Anonymous

Pires peak - player of the year, 15 goals and the same amount in assists in 3/4 of a season - very important goals, and general oiling of the Arsenal machine with slick central fluent passing, aswell as tradition wing play.

Unseen of vision at Arsenal to supply Henry - on the end of dribbles, added a dimension that other players didn't quite perfect like he did.
Cant argue with that.
Bobby for me.
Overmars is close though, also merson and limpar were great players. Dont think majority on here ever saw anders, but i remember against leicester i think it was he set wrighty up for 4 goals in a match, totally unselfish and a great player who deserves alot more recognition.

Canuck

Established Member
Oooh! I just can't choose. Is it Pires, or is it Overmars. Many people would make a good case for Merson maybe...I'm on the fence here. Bobby or Marc.

KingReyes

Established Member
Pires wins it for me, he has a better all round game. Just like someone else said, Overmars was too one dimensional, used his pace to do what he knows best whereas Pires has better off the ball positioning, better passing (Ask Thierry Henry), better scoring variety. he can score from outside (Liverpool goal), inside the the penalty box and also class goals (Chip over Schmeichel at Villa Park 2001/02 season.)

Big shout to Limpar and Merse though, they were top players for Arsenal and Limpar was arguably our best player in the 90/91 season (attacking wise). Merse was more of an all round player. He wasn't a pure LM player, he could play other positions and therefore his contrubution on the left isn't as recognised as much as the others.

Split

Pires going on consistent outrageously good performances.

However, Limpar is my favourite and you have to wonder what he would have been like in this current team under Wenger. perhaps even better than Pires. It was just a shame that George Graham was such a fan of crap football.

Anders I salute you!

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
gunner13 said:
Pires the Man!!!!! Pace, Skills, Accuracies, Looks! Everything a modern midfielder needs are all in him!
Well that ends the debate once and for all then I guess.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
No way was Limpar better than Pires. He was spectacular the season we won the championship in 91, for my money had a good season 91-92 and then faded dramatically after that. Though you could argue he was a vicim of GG's decision to switch to a more defensive style of play, I don't think Anders ever did anything after that to show GG was wrong to sell him.

But that goal against Liverpool.... anyone remember that? It was my third trip to Highbury, I was stood in the East Lower with a Liverpool supporting friend of mine and even he applauded it!

Merse didn't come from Brentford, by the way, he went there on loan, I think Frank McLintock was still Bees boss at the time.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You'd see all the reasons why if you read previous posts reyesoflight, . By the way no-one is saying he is a bad player, we're saying there are better.

Sonic Youth

i thought limpar played on the right wing most of the time?
anyway i think pires is by far the best of the four.
merson was a striker and a very good one but i don't think he would have been class on the left wing.
overmars was good as well but pires is more skilled i think and he has a better shot. only bad thing about him is that he dives sometimes, he shouldn't do that.

Serip

Pires for reals. I've always been a big fan of his and was over the moon when he signed for Arsenal.

SuperBob

Pires has probably been one the best left sided attacking midfielders in europe over the past 4 seasons he has everything a attacking midfielder needs he's also developing his defensive skills.
I would say Pires could get in too any team in the world at his peak which is right now and has been since the start of the 01/02 season.
Overmars was a great player for Arsenal but Pires just has more to his game But has anyone seen a midfielder who chips in with more goals then him?

Latest posts

Top Bottom