• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

New Stadium Stand Names

vin de guerre

What is the rush to name stands?
Why not get into the ground and once each area adopts its own character ie
the noisy section as the Chapman end whilst the overcoat brigade can be in the library. :evil:

A

Anonymous

Wenger shouldnt have a stand, not yet. Only players from our history.
Chapman stand sounds good.
Clock end
rocastle stand = out of respect
yuppie mugs stand (put all the plums in this one) :lol:

Should have a designated standing section in parts of the ground. Areas where they dont sell seat numbers, just the name of that certain block. For instance block A. So anyone who is interested in making noise and standing up buys a ticket for block A and gets to go an stand in that designated block anywhere he likes. Say designate 2,000 tickets at one end and another 2,000 the other. That would improve our atmosphere.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
There has to be a Chapman stand. I'm not sure about honouring Arsène whilst he's still there, but there again why not? I did hear that there was possibly going to be a bust of Wenger or something like that commisioned for the new stadium.

I'd like to see a Rocastle stand, but I don't think it will happen.

KingReyes

Established Member
Wenger deserves a stand to be named after him, he's the main the reason we are moving in a new stadium in the first place. Not now obviously but when he leaves, which hopefully won't be for a very long time. :wink:

How about having a stand called The Highbury stand?

A

Anonymous

arsenal will not name any stands after a player or manager as that would say they were more important than the rest and all have played a part. They may name a room or dining suite but not a stand. Keep the same as we have.

Maybe they will sell the rights to the naming of the stands....didnt Leeds call theres the Lurpack

A

Anonymous

Thank God we never had a great player called Bell :wink:

There will be something named after Rocastle. I really hope it is a stand, where all the main lads will sit. He is a legend, and there would be no better tribute to him than that. But I think he will have to settle with a dining suite :roll:

There will be a Chapman stand, a must I would have thought.

Mark

Established Member
As someone pointed out, there has to be a Wenger stand, because if not for him there would not even be the stadium. Not to mention he has revolutionised this club and we now see, arguably, the most attractive and exciting football ever played.

Mark

Established Member
Sol said:
There will be something named after Rocastle. I really hope it is a stand, where all the main lads will sit. He is a legend, and there would be no better tribute to him than that. But I think he will have to settle with a dining suite :roll:

Chapman and Rocastle were the first names for stands I thought of when I saw the title thread. They will definetly get something, it goes without saying. I also really hope they are both stands.

va_va_voom

Mark said:
Sol said:

Chapman and Rocastle were the first names for stands I thought of when I saw the title thread. They will definetly get something, it goes without saying. I also really hope they are both stands.

I know Rocky was quality, and I know he was loved by both the Arsenal fans and everybody who met him, but, and I am really sticking my neck on the line here and expect loads of abuse...

.... but was he any more special than some of the players who've gone before him or since, or is everyone happy to jump on the rocky bandwagon just because he died so young.

As I say, I know the place he has amongst the Gooners hearts, but there have been some exceptional characters who have acheived lots for the club both before and after Rocky who are held in less high esteem.

Its almost as if you need to die before people can truly realise your worth.

I'm not looking for a fight, just an observation.

Rocky, RIP.

Mark

Established Member
Rocky was a great player, and a true Gooner through and through. I think out of respect it is right to have a stand named after him. I don't think there's really any question about it. Maybe it won't be a stand, I hope it is, but if not it may be something else as Sol said.

va_va_voom

Mark said:
Rocky was a great player, and a true Gooner through and through. I think out of respect it is right to have a stand named after him. I don't think there's really any question about it. Maybe it won't be a stand, I hope it is, but if not it may be something else as Sol said.

I couldn't agree with you more, its only right we honour great players.

Clarkey

The sentiments are great guys but the new ground won't have any stands because it is a bowl. It is all joint together in one structure.

jeromelee

KingReyes said:
Wenger deserves a stand to be named after him, he's the main the reason we are moving in a new stadium in the first place. Not now obviously but when he leaves, which hopefully won't be for a very long time. :wink:

How about having a stand called The Highbury stand?

Damn Wenger deserves a statue build in his honour!!! Made of marble and standing tall outside the Grove. That'll be a sight to behold. Has to be huge!

thegreatbriton

North Bank, Clock End, The Chapman East Stand and another name for the West Stand, perhaps The Bertie Mee, West Stand. Rocastle wont get a stand.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
There won't be a stand called the Chapman East stand either.

The Rocky issue is interesting, I don't think va va voom, that it's a case of jumping on a bandwagon. It's just a fact that the for the majority of young Arsenal fans and by that I mean under 30, so I include me, just! that Rocky is the first one of the side the majority of us grew up with to have died. And died so tragically before his time.

He was my first Arsenal hero and I'm sure there's more than a few of us out there with 2001 shirts bearing the legend "Rocky 7" on the back. So I think it's right that we want him remembered in some way, and I'm sure the club will do do that. Acheivements shouldn't really be an issue in the case of a man who as Mark rightly says was Arsenal through and through.

The only other Gooner I can think of who died recently, George Armstong got a training pitch dedicated to him, I think..?

Top Bottom