• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Goalkeepers

Who would you chose as Lehman's successor?

• Stuart Taylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graham Stack

• Rami Shaaban

• Goalkeeper from another club

• Total voters

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Obviously less then Rennes. I do recall Cech's agent saying that Wenger might be interested in Cech next summer. Papadopulous is represented by the same agent.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I don't think Lehmann is too short term. He's 33, which isn't old for a goalkeeper. He could be first choice goalkeeper at Arsenal for another 3 or 4 years.

reggiepaul

Sol said:
Lehmann is definatly not my favourite player and he has still not convinced me he is a top keeper.

The Everton game added to this for me.
You all saw the Rooney free kick that Freddie was booked for handball and then Lehmann punched the re-take away.

What you didnt see was the organisation, or distinct lack of before the kick was taken.
It was a total shambles. The players in the wall looked lost, they didnt know where to go and what to do, especailly Pires who was looking towards lehmann for instructions. There was a huge lack of communication between them, and you could see Pires was getting mad.
Also Henry dropped back onto the goal line. Again he looked like he didnt know what to do, and again was a lack of communication with Lehmann.Eventually Jens had to madly wave his hands to get Henry off the line, which he didnt notice him doing for about 10 seconds.
It was not a good sign imo.

He also needs to stop his diving. Their support was crap throughout that game and we were doing a good job of keeping them quite. Then Lehmann goes down like he has been shot after he caught a ball and motions for the ref to book Ferguson.
The crowd go mad at this and begin to become really loud, all because of lehmanns stupid actions. Everton put on the pressure, we crumble and they score.

Again he looked lost on crosses into the box, and sliced his usual two or three back passes.

The goalkeeping situation is going to be key in winning this league. Us and Chelsea both have suspect keepers, where as it likes like the mancs have foung themselves a world class one.
Goalkeepers win you games, and ultimalty the league.

If the goalkeeping situation is going to crucial this season having the lowest goals against is good enough isn't it? I think out of the top 3 we've still had the toughest games yet.

I don't know about Lehmann looking lost for crosses. Looks like the most confident keeper we've had. Even more confident than Seaman.

13 goals in the league this season? Er... I'm looking for this problem. I've never been so confident about a keeper for a long time. We were looking for a replacement for Seaman and we have him. Not even Taylor is close.

OK, he punched the ball away. So what? Should he have caught it or should have done something else - I don't know. No smoke, no fire. As for the team looking lost - they were blocking anyone's movement from the Everton end - holding an offside trap that stopped Everton from getting around.

As for their goal it wasn't a crumble on our part really but a massive defensive error where Sol, Cole and Lauren we're all out of position. He made a great save on the first, Lauren should have been there - I reckon Kolo would have been. Have we really sold Volz now or is it still on the table?

I don't know why we draw but is a draw really that bad? Think we're doing brilliant!

Sammer

Established Member
Sol,

saying Lehmann looks lost on crosses is like saying Henry has no pace.

This is getting ridiculous....

jc8gooner

I don't know about Lehmann looking lost for crosses. Looks like the most confident keeper we've had. Even more confident than Seaman.
I am beginning to understand where criticism of Lehmann on crosses comes from.
Lehmann comes for a very large percentage of crosses. That is his style. He is a very bold and daring keeper. If you remember games against Balackburn and Soton, both 1-0 wins, he came for loads of crosses. A few times, he didn't get there, and it looked dreadful. The majority of the time though, he used his agility and height to get there successfully.
This is the problem. With any keeper that comes for a large proportion of crosses, there are going to be times when he doesn't get there. In the past, we have seen this sort of thing with David James. In my opinion, it balances itself out; when he does claim successfully, this might prevent a goalscoring opportunity for the opposition in 1 in 5 cases. When he doesn't claim successfully, this might create an opportunity for the opposition in 1 in 5 cases.

johe

He certainly is alot better at taking crosses than any other goalkeeper we've had imo.

jc8gooner

Goalkeepers win you games, and ultimalty the league.

If this is the case, which I suspect it is to a certain extent, how did we win the league in 2001/2002? Three keepers won medals due to an unusual amount of injuries; Seaman, as usual, was regualrly criticised, Taylor was completely unproven at this level, and Richard Wright, although he had a good reputation, did not prove himself to the arsenal fans (hence Wenger was not too worried that he left).

reggiepaul

Nothing wrong for a keeper to come in for crosses. Is there? If he is confident of getting it, which he always does, isn't that the best thing? That's in our favour?

Andrew

Just saw an interview with Bob Wilson, it was quite a while ago. Wilson said that Lehmann was very similar to himself and he would "honestly" choose Lehmann ahead of Kahn for the German team. He also said that Stack will be a top level goalkeeper in the future, and earlier in his career he couldn't decide whether to be a outfield player or goalkeeper. About Taylor, he said that Taylor was very good technically and is just as good as Kirkland and Robinson. But I got the feeling that he rated Stack the highest out of the two young goalkeepers. And he said that if he were Wenger he wouldn't have bought a new goalkeeper because he thought our current ones were good enough, but said that Wenger knows best. He didn't mention Shaaban at all, which was quite interesting.

zerofeel

Lehmann can still improve and i think Wenger likes the way he plays...the sweeper keeper style is risky but it kinda helps as lehmann helps to give an extra option of another defender...

seanconvey66

Taylor does look good, but in the games ive seen him in, his judgement in certain situations seems a bit off. He doesnt claim enough crosses and/or corners, and he doesnt command his area enough. I actually think with more games he will improve tho. I would loan him out to a Div 1 club, till the end of the year fitness permitting so he can get some games under his belt. In Div 1 he will get more practise at crosses and high balls against teams like west brom, wimbledon, preston, sunderland etc.... This is the area he can improve on.

I do believe he has the potential to be a very good keeper, however we are The Arsenal and we need an excellent keeper to eventually replace Lehman and im not sure if Taylor will cut the mustard!

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I've also been very impressed by Niemi but my first choice would be Petr Cech. I really hope he doesn't end up at Chelsea!

Andrew

Can I just say about Sol how he's going on about the lack of organisation and all. Well how many goals have we conceeded from direct free kicks this season... and from set pieces for that matter? I couldn't give a toss how bad the organisation is if there aren't many goals scored from those situation I couldn't care less.

Sammer

Established Member
You are right, but Taylor should then be sent on loan in the meantime to get more experience. Otherwise the chance of him not being ready is quite high....

Top Bottom