• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,774
  • Views 1,157,016

otfgoon

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
otfgoon said:
Probably best for him but I would have loved to see him in the Newcastle game first.

Wenger was raving about him yesterday, especially his finishing. Seems his only reservation about him is his fitness.
He was? Where was this?

On this thursday ATVO interview I think.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Randall has gone to Rotherham on loan <a class="postlink" href="http://goonertalk.com/2010/10/23/mark-randall-joins-rotherham-on-loan/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mark-randall-joins-rotherham-on-loan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://goonertalk.com/2010/10/23/mark-r ... am-on-loan</a>

Why he is still at the club is beyond me. He is a left over of our previous generation of youngsters. A generation not nearly as good as our current.

otfgoon

Established Member
He'll be sold/released soon enough I guess.

He looked so good as a 15/16yr old, honestly don't think he's progressed at all since then though, has probably gotten worse.

Anzac

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
JET is like a young Thierry. Pacy, can beat players for fun and has an excellent shot. It makes even more sense now to develop Wilshere exclusively as a midfielder, as Jay looks like a future star as a right forward.

How much pace does he have - hard to tell from the highlights. What's his defensive work like?
Considering we still have Walcott as RWF & any of Lansbury/Nasri can play there is AW likely to convert JET into a B2B CM = a Diaby with goals?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
JET has got decent pace. He's also a bit lazy though, which is why he's been playing a more advanced role for a while. I don't think he's got the concentration levels or the attitude that is required from a central mid, and neither does the coaching staff by the looks of it. Theoretically he's a good fit. Practically much less so. He looks like a very exciting player closer to the goal though.

Anzac

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
JET has got decent pace. He's also a bit lazy though, which is why he's been playing a more advanced role for a while. I don't think he's got the concentration levels or the attitude that is required from a central mid, and neither does the coaching staff by the looks of it. Theoretically he's a good fit. Practically much less so. He looks like a very exciting player closer to the goal though.

If he's lazy he may not go any further at the club & certainly wouldn't fit the requirements of the current role for the WFs.

I am slightly concerned that we seem to have some quite talented youth coming through in the next 2-3 seasons, but as yet have no real idea if/where they are likely to play. The last thing I want to see is us to lose genuine talent because of not being given a definative role, or that they stay & become 'dumbed down'/never realise their potential any any position/role in some search for player versatility. We have a potential glut of such players in the creative/attacking roles.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I don't think it's a huge problem. Our best player ever was a real lazy arse who spent most of his time on the field walking around to reload his batteries. What makes JET special is the rare combination of football intelligence, technical ability and physical superiority.

Anzac

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
I don't think it's a huge problem. Our best player ever was a real lazy arse who spent most of his time on the field walking around to reload his batteries. What makes JET special is the rare combination of football intelligence, technical ability and physical superiority.

I presume you are referring to TH & his role as lone advanced striker is very different to that of a potential WF.
Even then it would depend on the roles & balance within the team. JET can 'drift' as a WF if we played as a genuine attacking front 3 like at the start of last season, but not in this current pattern.

Likewise I wonder about the options available for the likes of Afobe & Aneke (1 being a striker & the other being a creative mid).

patrick42uk

Established Member
JET isnt lazy, he just doesnt have natural stamina. He's a power player that produces explosive moments and it makes sense he's being used further forward. Why ask him to run around if it erodes his ability to do what he does best?

Anzac

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
JET isnt lazy, he just doesnt have natural stamina. He's a power player that produces explosive moments and it makes sense he's being used further forward. Why ask him to run around if it erodes his ability to do what he does best?

In which case we have no position in the senior squad that would allow him this latitude in our current roles & patterns.

ricky1985

Established Member
Right wing, in our system, seems to suit him very, very well. He still has the ability, even though he's left footed, to go on the outside of his marker, making him unpredictable - hopefully that translates to the First team when he gets his chance.

I actually think he's now found the position on the pitch he can use his crazy level of talent to reach the top in. His experience playing everywhere from CB, LB, DM, CM, AM, LW, RW, CF - has made him an extremely rounded footballer. I think we've done a great job of developing him, but we usually always do - it's up to Jay now to apply himself and start getting in the squad and then the team.

Arshavinslittlelegs

JET really needs to get his attitude spot on. That is holding him back...Holloway said as much. Also the fact that he doesn't play in any particular position is a hinderance.

He has the talent though.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
JET isnt lazy, he just doesnt have natural stamina.
He's both lazy and has a short attention span. It used to be a problem in the reserves when he was still played in midfield. It was still a problem when he was at loan at Blackpool.

Anyway, I don't think it's a huge deal when he's played as a forward. It's not like he's immobilized or anything. He's definitely capable of tracking back; he just doesn't do it consistently over ninety minutes. Good thing that he plays in a possession based team that will require him to spend most of his time on the opponent's half of the field then.

ricky1985

Established Member
He's come on leaps and bounds in his on-field application. He has said that he learnt an awful lot in both his loan spells, and was noticeably improved at Doncaster, his second loan spell.

Gunner_JT

patrick42uk said:

Sounds like a bigger version of Arshavin.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
He's come on leaps and bounds in his on-field application. He has said that he learnt an awful lot in both his loan spells, and was noticeably improved at Doncaster, his second loan spell.
Absolutely, and he played exclusively as a forward at the time. In Blackpool he was moved around a lot. I think that's where Banfield started to come around to the idea of having him further up the field.

As I said, I think people are making too much out of JET being a bit lackadaisical at times. I know it's popular to say that attitude is the most important attribute in football but it doesn't work that way in reality. Some are just more talented than others and therefore they can get away with doing less. JET is one of those players, and he's gonna be a great footballer at some point because of it.

Eirico

Anzac said:
Klaus Daimler said:

I presume you are referring to TH & his role as lone advanced striker is very different to that of a potential WF.
Even then it would depend on the roles & balance within the team. JET can 'drift' as a WF if we played as a genuine attacking front 3 like at the start of last season, but not in this current pattern.

Likewise I wonder about the options available for the likes of Afobe & Aneke (1 being a striker & the other being a creative mid).

JET is a RWF or striker and Aneke will play in the Cesc role (if he makes it), but regarding Afobe I agree with you. He seems like an improved version of Jay Simpson, and I don't think such players fit very well in the lone striker role. But we'll see. When Afobe/Aneke are starting to be ready for the first team, we may have chanced our formation again, who knows.

Eirico

patrick42uk said:

True, it's hard to have a good stamina when you are as big as him. He has a lot of weight to carry around on the pitch. That could be said about Aneke too.

Zinc

Anzac said:
I am slightly concerned that we seem to have some quite talented youth coming through in the next 2-3 seasons, but as yet have no real idea if/where they are likely to play.

Who are you thinking? Apart from JET (who i personally think is now a clear forward) i think every knows there roles. I think that breaking into the 1st team will be hard, even for immense talents like Aneke with top players ahead of them, but if we lose a few to impatience or such then that is their problem.

But i cant think of players who dont know where they are going to end up positionwise

Anzac

Established Member
Zinc said:
Anzac said:
I am slightly concerned that we seem to have some quite talented youth coming through in the next 2-3 seasons, but as yet have no real idea if/where they are likely to play.

Who are you thinking? Apart from JET (who i personally think is now a clear forward) i think every knows there roles. I think that breaking into the 1st team will be hard, even for immense talents like Aneke with top players ahead of them, but if we lose a few to impatience or such then that is their problem.

But i cant think of players who dont know where they are going to end up positionwise

I'm not convinced about the eventual positions or roles for a number of players = Nasri, Wilshere, Ramsey, Diaby, Song, Denilson & Vela in the Senior Team; JET, Traore, Lansbury, Eastmond, Nordveit, Aneke, Afobe in the Reserves, let alone the likes of Wellington yet to arrive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom