• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,156,036

patrick42uk

Established Member
The stuff Arsène was saying about JET on arse.com is just incredible really. He said, if he works on his fitness, he wont just be a good player but a great player. Also said his finishing from inside and outside the box, left foot or right foot, was outstanding. Seriously high praise.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
The comment after that was equally high praise too:

Interviewer: "It's an unusual story as well because normally players start up front and end up as a fullback."

Wenger: "I know, it's completely unusual that you start at the back and finish up front. Usually, in 99 percent of the cases you start up front and finish at the back. So it just shows you how much talent he has."

Interviewer: "Have you ever had a player do that before?"

Wenger: "Never. Never. *shakes his head* Never have I've had a defender who's [ended up as a striker]. He's the only case I know."

ricky1985

Established Member
I sort of took Wenger's interview as confirmation of my recent belief that Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is a seriously special talent, a monster in the making.

ivansen

He needs to take this criticism from Wenger and work hard on his fitness, He's always been a special talent. And currently way to good for the reserves. He should either be included more in the first team or shipped out on loan. West Ham would probably take him after his performance the other night, hehe.

And Randall? Wtf? I know he's not turned out to be the player many of us hoped 5 years ago, but still, league 2? He's far to good for that league surely? I mean he hasn't looked completely out of place whenever he's played for us. He'll never make it here of course, but shouldn't he be at least good enough for a championship side? Something smells fishy about this. Wenger is punishing the lad for something by shipping him to Rotherham.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

patrick42uk said:
JET isnt lazy, he just doesnt have natural stamina. He's a power player that produces explosive moments and it makes sense he's being used further forward. Why ask him to run around if it erodes his ability to do what he does best?

Have to agree there , a guy that size can't be expected to run up and down all day . Its just not effecient use of his natural ability .

DK Gooner

ivansen said:
And Randall? Wtf? I know he's not turned out to be the player many of us hoped 5 years ago, but still, league 2? He's far to good for that league surely? I mean he hasn't looked completely out of place whenever he's played for us. He'll never make it here of course, but shouldn't he be at least good enough for a championship side? Something smells fishy about this. Wenger is punishing the lad for something by shipping him to Rotherham.

I actually think this is a better move for Randall. For all the hype our youngsters have received, those that have gone out on loan have not had the best of times. This season a majority of them have fallen into the category of unsused substitutes at both Championship level and League 1. I guess the fact that our youngsters have superior technical ability is not the deciding factor when playing in lower divisions.

Wenger on Randall

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger insists the door is not shut on Mark Randall after he agreed a loan switch to Rotherham.

Randall, who has had previous short-term stints at Burnley and MK Dons, has only made two substitute appearances in the Premier League for the Gunners but Wenger claims he still has a promising future ahead of him.

"It's important that he plays first-team games and that he gets regular games," he told Arsenal's official website.

"We have plenty of young players who need to play in the reserves but Mark is now above that step.

"He is a player I like personally because he has all the qualities. At this club he didn't get the breakthrough yet but I am sure he will be a late developer because there is so much quality that I refuse to think he will not make it.

"It is an important step of his career and I still believe in him. He has still got a chance here but he needs to gain confidence and play regularly now at the top level in a team and cope with the stress. He has the technical qualities of a great football player."

Wenger likened Randall to the Republic of Ireland striker Stokes and the Frenchman believes certain players take longer to develop.

"Some players take more time than others (to develop)," he added. "Sometimes you have the likes of Wilshere and Fabregas and then you have sometimes players like Stokes who develop later. He has made a great career definitely in Scotland.

"I always thought Randall was a late developer and that he has so much technical quality and the qualities of a good attitude as well. I hope it will be beneficial for him."

The need for regular games is important. Technically he is a gifted player, but has not been demonstrating it on a consistent enough basis. The fact that he is still here when so many others have been shipped out indicates to me that Wenger still believes there is a chance his talent will be realised. IMO, while he doesn't lack determination, he lacks the confidence to express himself adequately. He has had a few chances which have not sold him as a first team player, but then again, he could be considered unlucky at the timing of his emergence. Our squad at the time was brimming with players such as Diaby, Denilson and Song, who were afforded chances in the first team not based on merit, but because their peers had been moved on. Randall was not good enough to get in ahead of them and it would have been even more negligent of Wenger to promote more untried talent given that we were struggling to reach 4th place in the PL. Whats done is done and Randall is not at the level needed to be a positive contributor to the team on a consistent basis. However remarks from le boss about Randall being a late developer give him hope and the situation at Rotherham may be more favourable than a stint higher up. They are pushing for promotion so confidence is high which may positively impact on his confidence as well. To get a player from Arsenal for League 2 may also give us more influence over his game time during the loan spell. Lets hope he makes the most of this opportunity even if it doesn;t work out for him at Arsenal.

Yaya

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u18s/News/2010/EngPolSquad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u18s/ ... ngPolSquad</a>

Aneke and Yennaris picked for the england u18 match against Poland.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
So I am hearing good things about Aneke and Afobe. Do they seem to have the potential to make it at Arsenal? I watched a video of Aneke and he looked pretty good.

outlaw_member

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://pitacodogringo.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/arsenal%E2%80%99s-wellington-silva-frozen-out-at-fluminense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pitacodogringo.wordpress.com/201 ... luminense/</a>

It's a week old, though.

Smudeagle

Sounds like a right little mardy bastard.

Sadly that article paints him as the archytypal young footballer.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
According to reporters with sources in Brazil it's more about Fluminense not being happy with Wellington spending time in England while he's still their player, apparently. Which is their problem really since they agreed upon the current arrangements. The reason for his lack of playing time is political above anything else.

The president has been trying to shift some blame on the player for him leaving on the cheap. In reality, though, Fluminense were forced to sell him due to their terrible economy. We helped them out by paying a significant portion of the sum up front at a time when they couldn't even pay wages. I wouldn't make too much out of this story.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Wellington's current predicament is doing him absolutely no good. There's the question of whether his mind his right to continue playing for Fluminense, given that he's already signed for us. Admittedly, that's a pretty convenient conclusion to draw, irrespective of whether it's accurate or not. As seen by Coutinho who joined Inter Milan under similar circumstances, he was able to contribute for Vasco right up until he actually moved. It's also worth mentioning that Wellington only really broke into the first team after he had signed for us.

It seems to me that Fluminense's recently appointed manager tends to favour older players, and as such hasn't supported Wellington like his predecessor did. Still, idly waiting around before he can move to London isn't helpful, at all.

KY

Established Member
youngguns reporting that three youngster signed scholarship terms: Zach Fagan, Anthony Jeffrey and Isaac Hayden. Anyone know anything about these guys?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
outlaw: We only owe 70% of his license (or something like that) so far. The rest of the money will be transferred once he gets a work permit, which they're pretty sure will happen in january.

Yaya

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://tv.arsenal.com/default.aspx?p=channels/C3_S1b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tv.arsenal.com/default.aspx?p=channels/C3_S1b</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shea, Nordtveit, Cruise, Yennaris, Hajrovic, Miquel (c), Sunu, Ozyakup, Murphy, Henderson, Aneke. Subs: Deacon, Martinez, Boateng, Rees, Angha

Aston villa currently leading by a goal.

edit: 0-2.

Eirico

Ex-Arsenal player Samir Curruthers scored the 2nd goal.

Villa fielding a more experienced team than us with the likes of Guzan, Bannan, Delfouneso and Albrighton, so not a surprise this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom