• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,150,080

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
ebouenolike said:
@DJMarkstar : yeh it was a rubbish pun, I just wanted to get it in early before someone else did :lol:

Nice to hear Martinez is doing well, always seemed highly rates, as does Shea, we have quite the glut of young goalkeepers.

I enjoyed it :lol:

Ansah me this though, would you still have used it if someone had used it before you?

... I'll get my coat :|

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Emma Lusa said:
Vela said:
Another five years salary gone, this lad was on a very decent contract so why after his failure to step-up in 2008-9 has it taken another two years to cut our loses - we need someone in this club to start making the 'tough' decisions a lot quicker - carrying 30-40m of deadwood salaries a year is just crazy ...
Got the details handy? Might want to factor in/hunt down any loan agreements too. Ta in advance.

ebouenolike

Established Member
Cudareli said:
ebouenolike said:
@DJMarkstar : yeh it was a rubbish pun, I just wanted to get it in early before someone else did :lol:

Nice to hear Martinez is doing well, always seemed highly rates, as does Shea, we have quite the glut of young goalkeepers.

I enjoyed it :lol:

Ansah me this though, would you still have used it if someone had used it before you?

... I'll get my coat :|

Quite probably.

Even if it wasn't exZactly perfect timing :wink:

Emma Lusa

AnthonyG said:
Emma Lusa said:
Vela said:
Another five years salary gone, this lad was on a very decent contract so why after his failure to step-up in 2008-9 has it taken another two years to cut our loses - we need someone in this club to start making the 'tough' decisions a lot quicker - carrying 30-40m of deadwood salaries a year is just crazy ...
Got the details handy? Ta in advance.

ARSENAL salaries 112m
SPUDS salaries 66m

difference 6 points .....

You pick which of our non contributing players are getting that extra 50m and there's your answer .....

As for the academies Barcelona have the policy that 50 per cent of their players should be from La Cantera and then 35 per cent should be the best players from Spain or Europe and then 15 per cent from the top ten players in the world. This means that almost 85% of their junior academy players 8-12 can live at home weekends and holidays ... By the time they reach their teens Barcelona have a huge number of Spanish juniors to select from. Barca can then select from this huge pool of juniors who will live in a youth hostel arrangement on Barca's own land near the Nou Camp.

In England Premier League clubs are now bound by strict rules meaning they can only recruit boys whose journey to their training ground is 90 minutes or less, this ridiculous rule produces very little 'local' talent. Thus our academies are forced to trade teenagers from around the world to fill the home grown gap. This involves many of our academy players living in expensive London accommodation often with their entire families also being housed.

It's not our fault or indeed Barca's it's the FA rules that restrict the English Clubs. It should also be noted that Barcelona are allowed to run Barca Athletic in the lower leagues. This allows the youth players to gain competitive experience playing together whereas we are forced to loan youngsters all over the country ...... again FA rules prevent 'feeder' clubs in England.

The upshot of this is Barcelona produce a constant stream of quality juniors for a fraction of the cost that English clubs trying to match this set up are forced to pay.

In the end PL clubs are probably so hamstrung by regulations in England that they might as well not bother with youth development and just buy the best 18 year olds from other clubs.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
AnthonyG said:
Ah, so you don't actually know what he was on. That's disappointing. Thanks all the same.

I'm surprised you were expecting something more.

I'm still waiting on the Drogba and Berbatov quotes begging that their clubs not release them.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Emma Lusa said:
1. difference 6 points .....

2. You pick which of our non contributing players are getting that extra 50m and there's your answer .....

3. As for the academies Barcelona have the policy that 50 per cent of their players should be from La Cantera and then 35 per cent should be the best players from Spain or Europe and then 15 per cent from the top ten players in the world.

1. The difference is Champions League football, rather then just '6 points'.

2.Bentley, King, Woodgate, Bassong, Keane, Jenas and the list goes on. Sp**s have more dead wood on high salaries then any other team in the league. We include all our staff salaries in the figures we put out. Also, the quality of the players we have far outweighs that of Tottenhams. Other then Modric and Bale, they have no one that is of high quality.

3. Cool policy. Obviously works a treat considering how financially sound they are at the moment... Wait a second.

KY

Established Member
It also helps that Barcelona has a much wider area to cast their nets on since the only two major clubs there are Barcelona and Espanyol.

@Cudareli One thing though about their wage policy, Tottenham offer MUCH lower wages compared to us. That's why they can rarely keep their best talents. So their deadwood don't cost as much as ours does...

Emma Lusa

ebouenolike

Established Member
Hardly begging though is it?

He's on crazy wages and would consider staying and playing top level rather than going to Marseille etc. Pretty logical.

Emma Lusa

AnthonyG said:
Ah, so you don't actually know what he was on. That's disappointing. Thanks all the same.

Never said I did - I said that the three year contract which he signed in 2008 was "a very decent contract" most juniors are on rolling one year contracts where the club has the option to terminate ...

Emma Lusa

ebouenolike said:
Hardly begging though is it?

He's on crazy wages and would consider staying and playing top level rather than going to Marseille etc. Pretty logical.

OK "begging" was stretching things with Droggba ... the point was despite both players having been dropped down the starting order you don't here them demanding to leave in fact you hear the opposite, both players expressing a desire to stay and fight for their place .....

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Emma Lusa said:
AnthonyG said:
Never said I did - I said that the three year contract which he signed in 2008 was "a very decent contract" most juniors are on rolling one year contracts where the club has the option to terminate ...
Hmmm, got the details on why it was 'very decent' then? Oh, and have you calculated the loan agreements yet? Oh, and one more thing (hard to keep up with your wriggling you know), is he one of these rolling youfs? I'll wait.

Vela

Established Member
@younggunsblog

Emi Martínez on being selected for Argentina: "I thought f**k. This is big news. I will not waste this chance."

Emma Lusa

Cudareli said:
1. The difference is Champions League football, rather then just '6 points'.
Thankfully true but it's still only six points .... would be much happier if it were twenty!

2.Bentley, King, Woodgate, Bassong, Keane, Jenas and the list goes on. Sp**s have more dead wood on high salaries then any other team in the league. We include all our staff salaries in the figures we put out. Also, the quality of the players we have far outweighs that of Tottenhams. Other then Modric and Bale, they have no one that is of high quality.
Totally agree they have a huge number of overrated and overpaid players in fact they have the largest squad in the PL - so why is there salary spend only half of ours?

3. Cool policy. Obviously works a treat considering how financially sound they are at the moment... Wait a second.
Don't get your point? They are owned by a billionaire and are profitable

"We include all our staff salaries in the figures we put out" yes we do but even if all 322 non playing staff on our books were paid 50k a year each (and seeing as the vast majority of these are ground and match day staff I doubt that very much) it would still only come to 16m.

That leaves a salary spend of roughly 100m and yet we only had one player in the top fifty salaries http://www.1000goals.com/top-50-highest-football-salaries Arshavin at 47, although Cesc has probably moved up since his last pay rise.

So where does all the money go? - it goes on our youngsters who earn much more at Arsenal than at other clubs (no reference just go look it up) ... is this massive expenditure, the Arsène plan if you like, actually paying off?

Despite our large salary budget it should be remembered that we only spend 46% of our income on salaries the 2nd best in the PL.

In a very interesting book "soccernomics" statistics show that spending on salaries has a direct and significant impact on League position. This was born out again last season with five of the top six finishers being the top five 'salary spend' clubs.

Wenger in September 2009 expressed a doubt that the youth policy could remain a success with the FA rule changes http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/23/Arsène-wenger-arsenal-youth-regulations he was probably correct ..... to continue spending the money we do on a policy that, with the FA restrictions now in place, in Arsène's own words two years ago "will make that policy virtually impossible" seems a bit odd .......

So the facts are that we spend around 100m on player salaries, an amount we can afford as a percentage of income. The question is should we continue to spend a large chunk of this money on youth development, despite the difficulties the FA have created for youth academies, or should we invest more in new players for the first team?

Emma Lusa

AnthonyG said:
Emma Lusa said:
AnthonyG said:
Hmmm, got the details on why it was 'very decent' then? Oh, and have you calculated the loan agreements yet? Oh, and one more thing (hard to keep up with your wriggling you know), is he one of these rolling youfs? I'll wait.

three year contract try reading before typing .. who cares about the loan agreements or do you actually think that Burnley, MKD and Rotherham pay the same salaries as Arsenal ..... wtf's a 'rolling youfs'

Why do you ask stupid questions? players contract details are not revealed, loan agreement salaries are not revealed - a sensible person should know that. Whilst I freely admit to making "assumptions" most of them are based on available information if you disagree that's fine just quote the source of the genuine numbers if I've got them wrong ........

Latest posts+

Top Bottom