• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,774
  • Views 1,157,185

yuvken

Established Member
What happened in the U-21? Eisfeld? withdrawn cos travelled with the first team (wishful thinking me)?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
jmsmtthw28 said:
CREWE must learn to adapt their game as defenders put the squeeze on Chuks Aneke, says manager Steve Davis.

Aneke grabbed his fourth goal of the season in a wide open game against Sheffield United on Tuesday, when the Alex showed fighting spirit to earn a 3-3 draw.

But less attack-minded opponents have dedicated more men to contain loanee Aneke, including Shrewsbury Town in a 1-0 defeat on the road last weekend.

Shrewsbury manager Graham Turner dropped Luke Summerfield back to man-mark the 19-year-old deep-lying striker and succeeded in keeping him quiet.

It was the same job Summerfield was asked to do for Cheltenham Town on Nick Powell after 30 minutes of last season's play-off final – but by that time Powell had already teed up victory for the Railwaymen.

Davis said: "Chuks needs to think about doing something different when he's man-marked, but he still hasn't played that many games, so it will come with experience.

"We use Chuks as we did Nick in that linking role between midfield and attack, but if he's unavailable we need to be clever and change the link and use the wingers."

This could be good for Chuks, it would allow him the chance to adapt his game. I have high hopes for him if he is able to somehow deal with his growing reputation at current. Davis is right - it will come with experience. He is a great talent.

He does need to be more athletic however. He isn't particularly slow, but he doesn't really appear to move around a lot, but he's clever and knows how to find space. He should use that to his advantage and learn to drop deep to manipulate space.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Chuks will can it here, but it just might take a bit longer than we expect. Right now he is such an obvious talent that we would like him to step up like Jack has, but I just have the feeling that it might take a little while for him to find his right position.

His touch, vision, size and goal scoring ability means he can play just about anywhere centrally, but he isn't fast enough to be a B2B. If he was quicker he could almost be a direct replacement for a probably outgoing Diaby.

But since he isn't he'll play more advanced for lesser teams like Crew, but as he progresses I think he might play a little deep due to his size and range of passing.

The talent is there, but I might just take a little longer than expected to find and establish his place in midfield.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
the only problem that Aneke has is his work rate and unless he solves this problem he will never make it at Arsenal or a decent club
Amazing ability with the ball but poor without it

fabo

6.51 / 10
Does he even look better than Diaby when he signed? I'd be doubtful about the majority of these kids really.

Some thought Afobe would be the next Ian Wright, then he's struggling to cut it in the Championship on loan. I'll be surprised if he ever becomes a consistent PL goalscorer.

Gnabry looks like he has something about him. Eisfeld is tidy enough on the ball. We'll see.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Most kids wont make it at Arsenal I think one player from every year is what we hope (the club)
Aneke is a talented player but he lacks work rate
Afobe is a talented player but he's not clinical in front of goal
Miyaichi is a talented but he lacks the tactical understanding of the game
Wellington is a talented player but he's not focused enough on football

Even Gnabry needs a loan to prove if he's got what it takes to make it at Arsenal

Aneke is doing well on his loan scoring goals, creating goals but he does get booed by fans when he doesn't defend which can make him better or worse

Afobe is learning how hard jump up from a League one to championship really is and even though he's scored a few goals he's not even close to Bolton first team. He needs to break into the team by the end of the summer

Miyaichi I am not sure what's going on there, Wigan need a player like him but he's not getting any game time

MaestroCesc

At least Afobe has the whole season to sort it out, and there will be injuries because of the packed fixture list at Christmas so hopefully he can get a run and prove himself

Enfield

Established Member
TBH we'll be lucky if any of these guys are gong to make it here. With an extra few pound for Wenger to spend and getting his fingers burned with the likes of Denilson, Bendtner, Vela etc not working out he is going to be even less likely to give a guy a chance and stick with him. The biggest chance for any young boy to break through was over the last few years. From here on its going to take a Wilshere level to make it here

Truant

Must win game for the youngers tonight. Need to beat Ath. Bilbao to stand any chance of qualifying in the NextGen series. 7pm @ Underhill.

musicmonkey

Established Member
It finished 4-2 to us.
Arsenal
Toral 7', 74'
Ansah 67'
Hayden 79'

Athletic Club
Aqueche 12'
Alvarez 83'

Means we've scrapped our way through the group on goal difference.

Truant

Jon Toral is an absolute baller. Outshone everyone on the pitch tonight, including Eisfeld. Will be a shame if we ever let him go.

/

Nice win tonight to progress through.

evoh_1

Established Member
Thought Toral and Hayden were the top players tonight. Hayden was just the sort of player the first team needs, ball winner who can get forward he really does go box to box pretty well.

Akpom held it up well as well.

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
Is Isaac Hayden a midfielder or a centre back? It would be brilliant if we could develop a top class English centre back from our own academy. Hayden and Miquel could potentially make a great Spanglish centre back pairing for the next decade or so if we manage to keep hold of them.

Truant

Sydney Gooner said:
Is Isaac Hayden a midfielder or a centre back? It would be brilliant if we could develop a top class English centre back from our own academy. Hayden and Miquel could potentially make a great Spanglish centre back pairing for the next decade or so if we manage to keep hold of them.
CB, loves to push forward though. Should see him on Tuesday against Bradford.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Hayden was a player I was really impressed with when he first burst on to scene in 10-11 season with the U18s
He was used as a RB and then moved centrally the following year

He's good on the ball but having watched him for most of last season he's not really a good CB (nor is Fagan or Angha or Monterio)
They are good on the ball but they are weak in the air and have poor positioning, apart from Miquel none in our youth system has any real chance of even becoming a first team player(my opinion)

Apkom rise has been meteoric, he has just turned 17 and to be a regular for England U19 and Arsenal Reserves is pretty impressive

Martinez, Toral, Olsson, Eisfeld, Apkom and Gnbary are the one that have stood out in the reserves this season

Jbruin

Established Member
Segway said:
Is anyone sitting with the highlights from the Bilbao win? If so, please share.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEH5t-WsGI&feature=g-hist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEH5t-W ... ure=g-hist</a>

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Jbruin said:
Segway said:
Is anyone sitting with the highlights from the Bilbao win? If so, please share.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEH5t-WsGI&feature=g-hist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEH5t-W ... ure=g-hist</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers. Eisfeld is definitely ready for some first-team minutes, head and shoulders above the rest. Olsson looked promising, still 17, Charles-Cook made some decent saves too. Think we should play some of our reserves in the FA Cup too.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Eisfeld looks ready from the pre-season games in my opinion he is good passer good finisher he has very good control and his movement is good also.

Top Bottom