• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,150,025

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Well lets hope I thought right then. There is no guarantee unfortunately - he does seem to have a higher ceiling overall than the others. Lets hope he's not another JET - massive talent, didn't work hard enough. I have a good feeling about Akpom. Same with Aneke - they just need to keep applying themselves.

dyeruz

Established Member
It's funny because people were co-signing Afobe, JET and Aneke saying they would make it. Based on what evidence? Still like to see some given a run in our actual team. Miyachi would be an upgrade on Gervinho so why not. If Afobe scored at the Emirates what a boast it would give the lad, motivate him and spur him onto greater things. We give up too easily on players, absolutely no chance of late developers nowadays, they're washed up by 21.

musicmonkey

Established Member
dyeruz said:
It's funny because people were co-signing Afobe, JET and Aneke saying they would make it. Based on what evidence? Still like to see some given a run in our actual team. Miyachi would be an upgrade on Gervinho so why not. If Afobe scored at the Emirates what a boast it would give the lad, motivate him and spur him onto greater things. We give up too easily on players, absolutely no chance of late developers nowadays, they're washed up by 21.
That's what the homegrown rulings have done. Clubs won't gamble on a player if he's going to take up one of those valuable 21+ spots.

yuvken

Established Member
Quicker than Walcott said:
Akpom won't make it. Basing that purely on the fact we don't produce good strikers ever.
Forget it.
That's a good one. I take it you haven't even seen him? (why would you need to, if 100% of your call is based on our record - decision could be 100% a priory. Actually, if you did see him you would not have claimed it is "purely" based on our record, cos you'd have had some impression of him).

Afobe: He might still make it - who knows. But apart from that, he was never a sure thing at all. Last time he was really exciting is when he was very young. He never really managed to show top quality as he matured. I'm not sure if Akpom will be different - at this time he does miss some things. But he might make it. Let's let experience decide, shall we?

yuvken

Established Member
MutableEarth said:
Same with Aneke - they just need to keep applying themselves.
I think Chuks has a different problem, and though there's no argument regarding his talent, his dynamism limitations - if not overcome - could prove an obstacle too big to overcome. I would love it if he does, but my doubts are growing.

MaestroCesc

Afobe still has half a season left to go with Bolton, so he could still make it a successful loan. Dont understand why we loaned him out to Bolton who have many strikers already.

Would like to see how he fares in a competitive match or Arsenal

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I still think Afobe and Aneke have a shot, but a lot of it depends on who we buy in Jan., where we finish in the league, and who we buy in the summer. I think they have the talent, but there are a lot of variables.

Of the two of them I think Aneke has the best chance due to Wenger's preference for players like Diaby and Arteta.
Aneke is kind of a hybrid of the two of them and could be an ideal successor for Arteta.

He has the size to be a DM, but not the speed to be a box to box like Diaby, yet he has the technique and creativity to retain possession and create scoring opportunities. If we can bring him into the first team and improve him defensively then we could have one hell of a player. Right now everyone has a problem deciding where to play him and at Crewe he is an AM, but he won't make it here as an AM. Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey and Rosicky are all ahead of him, but we need someone with his size in our midfield. Ideally that person would be Diaby, but that won't happen.

Aneke could fill an obvious need that we have and dominate that position for years to come.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Come on lads, Afobe has zero chance at Arsenal. He can't even cut it in the Championship, much like JET, although the latter had more ability. Aneke is another who seems overhyped, he's slow and lazy.

People go terribly overboard with these kids, Miyaichi was the new Ronaldo a while back.

evoh_1

Established Member
fabo said:
Come on lads, Afobe has zero chance at Arsenal. He can't even cut it in the Championship, much like JET, although the latter had more ability. Aneke is another who seems overhyped, he's slow and lazy.

People go terribly overboard with these kids, Miyaichi was the new Ronaldo a while back.

Yaya toure wasn't a top player straight away and afobe has been spanked by injurys after bursting onto the scene. Not everyone can go stellar like jack and cesc and we need to stop overhyping that they will do so and allow players more time to develop at their pace.

I've got alot of time for players like aneke and miyachi who are technically good enough with the ball and need to add other elements, that comes with age you can't teach a donkey to kick a ball. Aneke reminds me of a riquelme type who just wants to get onto the ball and isn't going to cover back as he knows he is far better finding space and effecting the game that way. Problem is we don't want these sort of players anymore for better or worse and he needs to improve his work rate and stamina to match up with the demands of top level football.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Agreed, Aneke is brilliant. I'm especially impressed with his ability to find space. He does need to up his work-rate - the Crewe fans are very mixed on him. However, I'm sure there is a way he can be utilized effectively - he is too talented to fail. I have faith he will make it.

yuvken

Established Member
Aneke is brilliant, and writing him off already is surely criminal. But the slow accusation is true and telling: he'll need to find the next gear, or he just won't make it, no matter how brilliant he is. And I truly can't tell if he can do that or not.
The JET comparison (or the lazy tag) are not on, though. JET was indeed extremely talented, but he was as lazy as they get. it was so obvious the boy was going nowhere. Not Chuks' case - he might look lazy, but it's a different thing altogether.

akhil

Whats with our lack of strikers anyway? In the last couple of seasons we've bought Ryo,Wellington, Campbell, Chamberlain as potential future wide options but a single striker. We're normally stacked on midfielders through all levels. We have a fair few defensive signings as well in the youth team but barely any strikers. Lupoli and Bendtner seem to be the last ones who were very young when they came here along with Vela (outside our system).

The guys coming through the academy all seem average with their physical superiority helping them dominate through the youth teams.
Simpson, Watt, Afobe, Akpom all seem to be similar in their playing style but none of them can seem to have any exceptional qualities for a striker. Akpom seems like Afobe , playing above his age group although he seems fully grown already.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Campbell will definitely develop into a striker, just the usual adaptation phase on the wing that most young strikers undergo, from the first day I've seen him it was clear to me that he's a striker. Does pretty well at Betis these days after a flaky start, his stamina has improved it seems and he shows great work rate, I've seen him two or three times now lying on the pitch completely exhausted just after the full time whistle goes.

Hope he won't do too well for them, that alleged buying option is worrying tbh.

darkgunner

jones said:
Campbell will definitely develop into a striker, just the usual adaptation phase on the wing that most young strikers undergo, from the first day I've seen him it was clear to me that he's a striker. Does pretty well at Betis these days after a flaky start, his stamina has improved it seems and he shows great work rate, I've seen him two or three times now lying on the pitch completely exhausted just after the full time whistle goes.

Hope he won't do too well for them, that alleged buying option is worrying tbh.

Yeah, like he would turn off the tap if he suddenly went on a mad goalscoring streak. We would probably refuse to sell him, we need him more than Real Betis do. They can take a pick out of Bendtner or Chamakh.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/db10Halo/status/294253209118179328/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/db10Halo/status/294 ... 28/photo/1</a>
Such a shame we had to loan him out
amazing talent but needs help off pitch

Latest posts+

Top Bottom