• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,774
  • Views 1,157,046

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Gnabry is an impressive prospect, best player vs Moscow I thought, Eisfeld also seems to be on the fringes of the first team squad. Bellerin looks first team bound if he has no bigger injuries in the near future. Those three look like they will make COC appearances next season, the others need more time to judge I think.

yuvken

Established Member
Yeah, agree with Jones there. These 3 should make it (and to me personally, at least talent wise, Serge leads the pack). Add Akpom who's really interesting, but that is further in the future, and less certain. Yennaris is another name not to be forgotten - he'll play PL football, is my bet, don't know if with us.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I wonder with this crop, and future ones, of youth team players if we're going to start an "Arsenal DNA" epidemic where we have plenty of talented players who will have Premier League futures, but there won't be enough room for them in the squad so we sell them to only buy them back in the future.

I know Wenger has an unofficial policy against re-signing players he previously sold, but buying back a former youth team player once they reach maturity is completely different than re-signing an established player who you sold.

There are a lot of talented players in this youth team, but probably won't be room for more than 2 in the first team in the coming seasons.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Gnabry is definitely going to make it
Eisfeld will be eventually sold IMO, I dont see him becoming a starter for us and I doubt he will accept a squad role
Bellerin is the kind of FB that Wenger wants in his team, if he gets better defensively then he's going to be our RB in the future (until Barca come calling)
Apkom is the best ST in England in his age group, he wasn't scoring regularly in the first half season but recently he has scored 9 goals in 8 games. Wenger will give him a chance then its up to him
Hayden is the only CB in a long time that has actually looked like a decent CB

silent_shadow

Established Member
I think Gnabry's been a lot more impressive than Eisfeld in the Reserves tbh. But I also reckon Eisfeld is the type to only really show his class when he's surrounded by better players, like how he slotted in in the League Cup. As a midfielder he's more reliant on players around him, different to Gnabry who can still show his skill and dribble past players.

sagreig

IMO Eisfeld looks by far the most assured and ready for first-team action out of the youngsters. I would definitely say he's better at what he does than Gnabry is at his role. But Eisfeld needs to be judged differently because he has a couple of years on most youth players. Gnabry is 3 years younger. Eisfeld needs regular first team action now for us to properly judge him. A loan move to a premier league (or championship if there are no takers) club has to be on the cards for next season. If Gnabry is finding the reserves too easy (as Bob Wilson and others in the Arsenal set-up used to say Wilshere did) then he also needs a loan move. We need to put them into situations where they have to sink or swim.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I can see Yennaris having a career like Sidwell at best. Good lad but I'd say he'll have to move on to get the games.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I'm not going to go out and say Eisfeld won't make it here, because I haven't seen him enough to judge, but whenever I have seen him he hasn't impressed me hugely. He scores goal from midfield and seems clinical which is brilliant but from what I've seen there hasn't been anything special about him that has made him stand out.

Gnabry for me should make it here, physically he is unbelievable for a 17 year old, his dribbling is very good, hes a good finisher and has a cracking shot aswell. IMO he is the leading contender to make a name for himself in the 1st team.

Akpom has impressed me aswell, very athletic CF who can lead the line and hold up play well, but scores a good share of goals aswell. I'd like to think that he can make a name for himself here aswell but hes still got a long way to go, definately a contender though.

Bellerin looks fantastic from what I've seen, even though I haven't seen as much as I' have liked to. Brilliant dribbler, great linkup play, good pace, has all the qualities to make a top attacking fullback, but if he doesn't match up inthe defensive stakes he'll struggle to make it here. I can't judge him just yet but it seems his attacking qualities outweigh his defensive ones, but if he can hold his own as a defender he should have a good chance.

I'm with Yuvken on Yennaris, he isn't as talented as the others I've mentioned but he strikes me as a guy who will squeeze every ounce of talent out of himself, plus he is very versatile, so I think that even if he can't make it here he can make a good career for himself.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I actually think Yennaris will make it here, call it a hunch. Think he will eventually go past Coq and Frimpong in the pecking order.

Giroud

Established Member
I've seen Bellerin a few times and he looks relatively assured defensively although the game against Inter was the only time we were under real pressure. He looks a very good tackler and seems to get back into position relatively quickly.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Giroud said:
I've seen Bellerin a few times and he looks relatively assured defensively although the game against Inter was the only time we were under real pressure. He looks a very good tackler and seems to get back into position relatively quickly.
Bellerin is weak in the air and he has on occasion failed to pick up runs from wingers

Iliev, Bellerin, Hayden, Olsson, Toral (if he ever gets fit), Gnabry, Eisfeld and Apkom this is a very talented Reserve side
Can anyone name one talented player for U18 side that you think has a chance of making it at Arsenal?
Jordan Brown is the only player I can think of

marv3llous

Eisfeld and Gnabry are clear standouts currently. Everyone else has a much bigger gap with the first team (except for Yennaris ofcourse). With Gnabry its obvious, he has the skillset that is needed to make it - speed and dribbling and if he improves his shot aswell he can have a good career with us. Eisfeld may look ordinary at first glance but there's so much intelligence in what he does and since his technique is also very good it is already a good combination. He can definately make it in a "footballing side". I hope its us.

Yennaris will probably make it as a pro, wouldnt mind if he gets a chance for us but im not convinced he is top 4 material though. But definately Championship career and probably even PL.

Akpom needs to mature a few years, he is tanking it in the youth sides by being a step ahead physically. If he wants to have a good career at the top club he has to get the same thing going for himself among the grown ups. Because he doesnt look fast enough to boss it with speed, in fact looks a little cumbersome. His close control did look ok though and composure will come with time also. But im not entirely sold on him because i think its a year or two too early to say.

Bellerin i havent seen enough yet to say, but he does look extremely comfortable on the ball and his forward runs look good and he seems to have pace. I guess there is enough talent for our coaches to work with there.

Everyone else are in no mans land. If anyone emerges then good, but they probably wont. Some may make it in the lower leagues.

Giroud

Established Member
Zelalem? A lot of people seem to say he's immensely talented and he's now playing for the u18s isn't he?

marv3llous

Giroud said:
Zelalem? A lot of people seem to say he's immensely talented and he's now playing for the u18s isn't he?

He is training with the 1st team alot according to people who report stuff from training ground.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
marv3llous said:
Akpom needs to mature a few years, he is tanking it in the youth sides by being a step ahead physically. If he wants to have a good career at the top club he has to get the same thing going for himself among the grown ups. Because he doesnt look fast enough to boss it with speed, in fact looks a little cumbersome. His close control did look ok though and composure will come with time also. But im not entirely sold on him because i think its a year or two too early to say.
Apkom is one of the quickest player in the Reserve side mate, for me he needs to become a regular goal scorer
He's got the height (6'1-6'2 for a 17yr old), speed, one touch play, first touch and a very high work rate what he lacks in my opinion is finishing. He gets into a lot of good positions but has failed to finish them off (has been scoring regularly in the last 2-3 months)

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I know it's early days and that... But I can't help but get excited by Serge Gnabry. He's like that mate you had back in the day, who you'd always pick first because he was so good. Like no matter what the team, if they had THAT player they would win.

He's sooo good technically, very fast, pretty versatile and most importantly looks like he just loves to play and express himself. I can see him making it here, definitely. He has so much ability. If he has the right attitude and continues to develop the way he has been, he'll be quite an asset for us in the next 3/4 years IMO.

yuvken

Established Member
Brown and Zelalem.... that's a long way to go. Sure, you can point at obvious talent, but if we can't be sure about Gnabry, Eisfeld and Bellerin - 2-3 years younger is really, really far.

About Gnabry - though his obvious skills (control, dribble, pass, shoot, finish) are easy to see and get excited about, I was actually most impressed by his intelligence, reading of the game, anticipation, etc. With that set of assets, the only question mark regarding him as far as I can see is - will he continue to work hard and not get too much into the "star" hype.

Giroud

Established Member
Gnabry's vision really impressed me against CSKA, didn't know he had that in him. Can't help but get excited by the lads potential, could be a real top player.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Saw Bellerin the other week for the first time, exciting to see someone who looks excellent going forward - makes sense as I'm reading he was a winger converted to a RB.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
All the Zealam hype is unwarranted till now, its common for Wenger to pick the most technically gifted players from U16s, U18s, Reserves and see them in person
We need to see how he does for the U18s before we start hyping him up

Latest posts

Top Bottom