• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,771
  • Views 1,156,006

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
I know Toral is injured right now but is there a chance that he could make it? Would love to see a Wilshere, Toral and Zelalem midfield in 5 years time. I think the balance would be perfect in such a midfield.

akhil

mavelous said:
he's more in the diaby league for now - minus the athleticism of course. perhaps a bit of a rosicky in him, again minus the athleticism. but we can't expect him to emulate cesc's creativity yet - he did have a couple of nice thru passes, and has a very aesthetic touch to his passes - crisp, little spin, hard and on the ground, good angles, good interplay and link-up with teammates etc.

his calmness, skill and weak-foot ability should, theoretically, be a factor to achieve that creative vision. but those skills don't necessarily translate to what we had with cesc - see cazorla. santi is a better dribbler than cesc, and he even has better control and unpredictability thanks to his two-footedness. but the passes and chance creation don't solely depend on that.

so, given no significant hindrance to development in the form of excessive injuries or lifestyle/attitude problems, i can see him developing into at least a joe allen or diaby level player. hard to say if he even will end up in midfield or further forward. then of course, for CM type players we don't know how he will fit defensively. if he's over 6ft and bulks up eventually, can play a similar role to ramsey, or even an arteta if his tactical brain develops early. perhaps even mata/silva type wingmaker, sort of a free role that arshavin had on the left. i don't think we'll try anything crazy like converting him to a #9 or a CB. exciting player, we haven't had kids like him and gnabry since jack wilshere.

He's 16 making his debut at a level he hasn't played before and you got all that from 5 mins of edited video? :?

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Sydney Gooner said:
I know Toral is injured right now but is there a chance that he could make it? Would love to see a Wilshere, Toral and Zelalem midfield in 5 years time. I think the balance would be perfect in such a midfield.

Who would do the defending in that midfield?

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Toral, Olsson, Zelalem, Eisfeld all have a shot at breaking into the first team

Toral is a very good box to box midfielder, he can pick a through ball, he tracks back and defends, his biggest asset is his runs inside the box but he needs to start converting his chances

Olsson is being played as a holding midfielder right now, I thought he may become an Arteta type midfielder but he doesn't look equipped to play the holding midfield role. He looked much better as a CAM

Zelalem looks good but we have only seen him play once, need to see a lot more of him to make an opinion

Eisfeld needs to go on loan, he's too good for the reserves

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
akhil said:
mavelous said:
he's more in the diaby league for now - minus the athleticism of course. perhaps a bit of a rosicky in him, again minus the athleticism. but we can't expect him to emulate cesc's creativity yet - he did have a couple of nice thru passes, and has a very aesthetic touch to his passes - crisp, little spin, hard and on the ground, good angles, good interplay and link-up with teammates etc.

his calmness, skill and weak-foot ability should, theoretically, be a factor to achieve that creative vision. but those skills don't necessarily translate to what we had with cesc - see cazorla. santi is a better dribbler than cesc, and he even has better control and unpredictability thanks to his two-footedness. but the passes and chance creation don't solely depend on that.

so, given no significant hindrance to development in the form of excessive injuries or lifestyle/attitude problems, i can see him developing into at least a joe allen or diaby level player. hard to say if he even will end up in midfield or further forward. then of course, for CM type players we don't know how he will fit defensively. if he's over 6ft and bulks up eventually, can play a similar role to ramsey, or even an arteta if his tactical brain develops early. perhaps even mata/silva type wingmaker, sort of a free role that arshavin had on the left. i don't think we'll try anything crazy like converting him to a #9 or a CB. exciting player, we haven't had kids like him and gnabry since jack wilshere.

He's 16 making his debut at a level he hasn't played before and you got all that from 5 mins of edited video? :?

:lol: don't judge a book by its cover, if you actually read the whole post closely you wouldn't find any absolute statements or unreasonably vague speculation. when skill is there it doesn't take too much to notice, especially the more tangible, blatant aspects like close control or the short passing technique. beyond that, then yes, you're getting into a lot of speculation.

he's an exciting prospect. but many on this forum have a misguided notion of hype - an outright claim that XYZ will be playing in first team in T years, that's a bit bold and really not that helpful. but it shouldn't stop us from having a rough idea on where our youth stand today - at least in relation to each other if not how far from the first team or the youngsters in comparable age bracket at other clubs.

yuvken

Established Member
mavelous said:
an outright claim that XYZ will be playing in first team in T years, that's a bit bold
I'm not sure about X and Y, but the outright claim that Z will be playing in the first Ar team I made entirely (and not just a bit) bold :) . What are the T years, I'm not sure (I hope it's not as soon as some have suggested), but if one says T≤3, I'm not arguing.

jmsmtthw28 said:
Toral, Olsson, Zelalem, Eisfeld all have a shot at breaking into the first team
Toral is a very good box to box midfielder, he can pick a through ball, he tracks back and defends, his biggest asset is his runs inside the box but he needs to start converting his chances
I just haven't seen enough of him to know. What I did see didn't catch my eye nearly as much as agent Z did in one game (though JT came here with Bellerin, in the famous La Masia raid 8)) ).
Olsson is talented, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't play PL football. But I'm not convinced he'll do it here. I agree with you he's more cut for more forward play.
Agree Eisfeld is wasting his time now (and that he could be a player - even for us).

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The problem with Toral is his injuries he needs to shake them off, Bellerin has gone from strength to strength.
For me Toral is a bigger talent than Olsson and Eisfeld who are both very good players but he needs to get over his injuries
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUXuwJ3FWQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUXuwJ3FWQ</a>

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
MutableEarth said:
jmsmtthw28 said:
@DialSquare_1886
Reports that #AFC have signed a pre-agreement with German wonder-Midfielder Enie Fucher from 2. Bundesliga side St. Pauli.
any info :?:

Enie Fucher = Any f*cker :lol:

Someone's having a laugh lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't believe smithy bought it!!!

Mike-Tyson-clapping-and-laughing.gif

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
great gif :lol:
I have stayed in Hamburg for a a few months so I know FC St. Pauli, made it easier to get duped

yuvken

Established Member
jmsmtthw28 said:
Toral is a bigger talent than Olsson and Eisfeld who are both very good players
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUXuwJ3FWQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUXuwJ3FWQ</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd need to see more of him to say that. Maybe I just didn't see enough (the vid is a year + old, and only thing I learned from it is that he's really comfortable with both feet and has a decent control).

Vela

Established Member
Toral was better for the U18's than Olsson last season. But Olsson has improved a lot this season playing regularly for the U21's this season. Where as Toral missed all of pre-season through injury and started with the U18's at the start of the season. But then Toral got injured again came back featured in the Youth Cup games and some of the NextGen group games. Then got injured again and needed surgery the reason why he hasn't featured for a while.

Toral made his debut for the Reserves in the same game Gnabry did last season before Bellerin and Olsson if I remember correctly.

Wenger14

Established Member
Quick question to anyone who has been following him this season: What is the likelihood of Ignasi Miquel being used as 4th choice next season, hence no new centre back being brought in? Has he progressed much this season? Is he ready for regular first team appearances?

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger14 said:
Quick question to anyone who has been following him this season: What is the likelihood of Ignasi Miquel being used as 4th choice next season, hence no new centre back being brought in? Has he progressed much this season? Is he ready for regular first team appearances?
unlikely, most likely to go on loan next season

marv3llous

Must say it has been a dissapointing season so far for him in my eyes. I was hoping to see much more of Miquel this season. Something about him has always stood out for me and i have been waiting for him to build his upper body strength. But i think he had a lengthy injury (?) and he has not gone out on loan so i hope he has done hard work behind the scenes.

Top Bottom