• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ex-Gunner Watch

Is it wrong to still love Giroud

• Yes he’s no longer a gooner

• No he will always be a top man

Results are only viewable after voting.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
jerome2158 said:
certain people seem to be applying their own fan viewpoint onto players.

Players are not like fans in any way.

When they say they love a team, they mean it in an entirely different way than a fan does. Most fans love the team unconditionally due to a variety of reasons. We don't gain anything from it other than the emotions involved, and despite how much time we spend talking/reading about the club, our direct involvement is usually 90 minutes a week.

A club for a player is job. Apply it to any other job, and the fan mentality makes no sense. Say you work at company A and absolutely love it. Then company B comes along and offers you more money for the same work, so you take it. You've got no ill-will towards company A, but you've moved on for your own sake.
First, you decide whether Company B is worth working for. They may be a bunch of bastards. If they are, what shall it profit you to gain the extra money but to lose your soul?

If you love Company A, but Company B offers more money and is worth working for, the honorable thing to do is to give Company A the chance to match the offer. If they do, you stay.

If they don't, well, you're not a soccer player already making insane amounts of money. You need the money. The soccer player who moves on doesn't need it.

Which has less to do with Fabregas than with the other traitors. As the great journalist George Seldes would have put it, many a man has betrayed a person or a country for a cause he held dear, but it's another thing to merely add to your money.

Fabregas left for love. He loves Barca. He just used Arsenal to further his career. Legends do not do that.

Essentially, he slept his way to the top -- and now that he's in the big harem, he can't get into bed with the sultan.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
xinu said:
Mike you sound like a jilted girlfriend that is desperately trying to convice people you are over your lover by ranting about how he was never good for you and your better off without him but deep down you know you would have him back in a second and we all know it too lol
No. I am not like that. When I am betrayed, I do not forgive. Ever. I shall never forgive Fabregas. I shall never forgive Nasri. van Persie is the worst of the bunch, because he had us thinking that he was different.

They can all go to hell. And if I ever meet any of them, I will tell them such. (Unless Bouchra is with Robin at the time. In which case I'll keep my mouth shut, out of respect for her fabulous self, who is too good for him.)

You think Liverpool fans would take Michael Owen back, after he went to ManUre? No, they hate his guts. And he actually helped them win things.

You don't see Tottenham fans hoping Sol returns as a coach or (dare I say it) the manager, do you? And he actually helped them win a trophy. He was their captain. He was their best player. He was their heart and soul. And yet, like Fabregas, he joined a team that stood in his old club's way (in a way that Tottenham could never stand in ours). The things they've said about him make what I've said about Fabregas sound very tame. (They do seem to have forgiven Pat Jennings, though. And since George Graham was already sacked by Tottenham before I was aware of his existence, I never had to face the question of whether to forgive him, but it would have been an easy choice: Yes.)

How about Adebayor? At times, he was spectacular for us. Would you take HIM back? No? Why not? He came up big a few times. Is it because he said rotten things about us after he left? How is that worse than blatant sabotage?

We counted on Fabregas and van Persie. We listened to them tell us how much they loved the club and its fans. We thought they were loyal. We thought they were different. And they weren't. We were just another line on their resumes. (CVs. Whatever you call them over there.)

NCIS Rule Number 42: Never accept an apology from someone who sucker-punched you. I'd rather be a sucker before they left, for thinking and hoping they would have stayed; than be a sucker after they left, for being willing to welcome them back. I don't care if there are deathbed confessions that they should have stayed: To hell with them.

mistaT

Established Member
The beloved Eduardo, who even Uncle Mike must like, is still banging them in :mrgreen:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iceWoJv3Qeg&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iceWoJv3 ... r_embedded</a>

Cracking goal.

Segway

mistaT said:
The beloved Eduardo, who even Uncle Mike must like, is still banging them in :mrgreen:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iceWoJv3Qeg&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iceWoJv3 ... r_embedded</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cracking goal.

That's a fantastic goal typical of his style but I believe it's already been posted in here.

But ohhh what could have been if Taylor hadn't happened :(

Bossa

Established Member
When Cesc returns at Arsenal for a visit he will be treated good by the fans. RVP on the other hand....

MaestroCesc

Uncle Mike said:
el57 said:
Legends don't win because this is a team sport.

Legends play like legends, but the team is the one who wins.

We haven't won a trophy for 7 years because the TEAM hasn't been able to do so. Cesc was almost never at fault, neither were a host of other capable and talented players we've had.

I hate this mentality, it's what causes people to want to leave Arsenal. They think "Trophies (and money....) are everything, I need trophies to be a legend and I am not close to a trophy here!" **** that. Theres more to football than trophies for both the players and the fans. If the fans deem Cesc a legend, then he's a legend, regardless of what the bloody silverware cabinet says.
I have no more patience for this kind of stupidity.

The team was built around him. More than van Persie ever was, Fabregas was the "one-man team." As he went, so went the team. The team would only go as far as he would take them. He hurt us even when he WASN'T trying to.

With Fabregas, Nasri was a pretty good player. Without him, Nasri was awful. It was like losing 2 players. And yet, when we actually did lose both of those players, the team finished higher than it did the last season with them.

Instead of calling him a legend, let's call him what he really was: Not part of the solution, but the central part of the problem. Getting rid of him was addition by subtraction.
Not sure if this post is serious or not?

But if it is... Cesc really didnt backheel it on purpose. He carried a team with rubbish players for 3 years and gave us 5 amazing years. Trophies dont define legends, their service to the club does. Cesc just came at the wrong time when we were just challenging for top 4 most seasons and had a really bad defense. If he had had better team around him we would have won alot of trophies. The team was only built around him because that was the only chance we had of winning.

You could see how much Arsenal meant to him in his press conference at Barca. I dont blame him for going to Barca, it was his boyhood club his dream club, he just picked up another love along the way

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
We need to send Uncle Mike to Barcelona for one week of holiday and hook him up with Cesc as his tour guide. :lol:

awooga83

Established Member
Fabregas is no way an Arsenal legend he achieved nothing to make himself such. He was/is a great player but an Arsenal legend he is not.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
SomGooner said:
Cesc Fabregas deserves our unreserved respect and that's exactly what he'll always get from me.

I agree, do do what he did at such an early age is legendary, in the premier league of all things, at the most focal position in football and to the level he did it.

if by any chance he has a falling out with Barca I would gladely welcome him back

fabo

6.51 / 10
Legend is a big word though, and I'm really fond of Cesc. Not sure he falls into that category.

mistaT

Established Member
Far from a legend....regardless, he's one of a few players that will be remembered for years to come from the post Invincible squads.

dpt49

Established Member
I would agree that Cesc will not be remembered as an Arsenal legend but he is and RVP are the only two players since the invincibles that would have got anywhere near to getting into that great team.

Cesc is still one of the greatest midfielders we have ever had at the club and it's a shame he and RVP never won much here.

halfvolley

Reading in the Swedish paper Aftonbladet that Ljungberg has released a statement that he is ending his career today. He's had several offers from different leagues, but he's saying that even though he's fit, motivation is not 100% anymore.

Thanks for everything Freddie and enjoy your retirement!

Top Bottom