• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ex-Gunner Watch

Is it wrong to still love Giroud

• Yes he’s no longer a gooner

• No he will always be a top man

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
I was having a chat with a Utd fan and I thought the same thing, but at the end of the day he singlehandedly won them the title. Obviously it's a team game but let's be honest, when that defence wasn't pulling it's weight until 2013 and Rooney was injured it was Van Judas that pulled the strings along with Carrick. Luckily for them his form dried up when the didn't need him as much. They've had less talented players become legends for winning them things before, Yorke comes to mind and then half those fickle lot tend not to consider a long term player like Nicky Butt a Utd legend because he didn't stand out

Glovegun

Established Member
fabo said:
Van Persie is the one laughing at the end tbf, he's gonna get that PL medal and there will be other chances in Europe. His comments above don't really bother me - it sounds weak if he says he doesn't want to win it at our place. Deep down I'd bet that he would rather win it somewhere else but it is what it is. Wenger sold him and we knew this would be the outcome.

I don't know why people pay so much attention to what footballers say. They're essentially puppets controlled by agents and PR people. I cannot remember the last time I heard one say anything at all interesting. Nothing new to see here.

I'm as annoyed at the club about the transfer as I am with the player.

van Persie has won Man United 22 points from losing or drawing positions this season. That is huge. Man City spend billions doing it last year and we just sold the title to Beetroot Face for the paltry sum of £24m. We'd have to spend nigh on double that to bring in anyone nearly as good as him.

We might've done well to get them up to £24m from their opening bid (apparently half that) but I don't see any way that the club can paint this as a good deal. We've shot ourselves in the foot and we know it.

I don't give a flying **** if he wanted to go. Vieira wanted to go to and we kept him on. Didn't make him a bad player. We should've just kept him for this season and if he still wouldn't sign then he can go on a bosman. We'd have a hell of a lot more points and that could be worth more than £24m. Especially if it propels us to the title.

False economy from the club yet again tbh.

silent_shadow

Established Member
Think they would've won it without him tbh. Would've just played someone else as striker who would've done the job, not like they're lacking in that department.
They came painstakingly close last year against a far better City side without van Persie and I'm sure Fungus would've driven them over the line again, no matter how average they may look as a team.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Don't think RvP will ever reach legend status for Manure, there are players who won loads and had multiple successful years who barely get a mention now days from their fans. Would be a different story had RvP been younger when he joined them.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
squallkid said:
So some unimportant Dutch striker gave an interview....

Why are we discussing this again :? ?
For the same reason we discuss some meaningless Catalan midfielder's comments about how much he loves Arsenal.

So some of us can demand Wenger out.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Uncle Mike said:
squallkid said:

For the same reason we discuss some meaningless Catalan midfielder's comments about how much he loves Arsenal.

Iniesta said that? :shock:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Former Arsenal player Chris Kiwomya is the new manager of Notts County. Bit of a nothing player for us, but he was part of the set up when I started supporting Arsenal, always used to get confused with Kiwomya and Keown back then too.

Eduardo with his typical type of goal for Croatia, no one at Arsenal can finish like him.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
mavelous said:
Uncle Mike said:
squallkid said:

But Iniesta's not a Catalan, must of been Barca's press officer Xavi

Uncle Mike

Established Member
mavelous said:
Uncle Mike said:
squallkid said:

Well played. :lol: Although Iniesta's hometown of Fuentealbilla is nearly 300 miles from Camp Nou -- about the distance between the city centers of London and Newcastle.

Whether he thinks of himself as Catalan, only he knows, but Fuentealbilla is not within the regional borders of Catalonia. And try telling a Cockney he's a Geordie, or vice versa, and see what happens. I know if you go 300 miles from my New Jersey home, and tell someone from Portsmouth, New Hampshire (likely a Red Sox and New England Revolution fan who hates the Yankees and Red Bulls) or Richmond, Virginia (the capital of the former Confederate States of America) that we're roughly the same, they won't like it.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
GDeep said:
Former Arsenal player Chris Kiwomya is the new manager of Notts County. Bit of a nothing player for us, but he was part of the set up when I started supporting Arsenal, always used to get confused with Kiwomya and Keown back then too.

Eduardo with his typical type of goal for Croatia, no one at Arsenal can finish like him.
In North American sports, the best head coaches have generally been mediocre players -- often those washing out before age 30, who then get a head start on coaching. And the best players, once coaches, often lose patience with players who aren't as good as they are (Rogers Hornsby and Ted Williams, to cite two notorious examples from baseball). Joe Torre was a really good player, but Bob Brenly was average at best.

In our football, very few men have been Hall of Fame quality as both a player and a head coach -- Mike Ditka, for one. But Vince Lombardi, Joe Gibbs, Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin never played pro ball, and, between them, these 6 men won 18 titles.

Wenger wasn't much of a player, Terry Neill was workmanlike at best, and Bertie Mee and Herbert Chapman barely played. Jose Mourinho wasn't much of a player. Alf Ramsey was decent but nothing more. Billy Wright was a sensational player, but, to Arsenal's dismay, not much of a manager. Neither was the man he replaced, George Swindin, a very good goalie. Kevin Keegan was a great striker, but his managing has left much to be desired.

On the other hand, Alex Ferguson was a good striker. Don Revie, Brian Clough and Kenny Dalglish were great ones. George Graham scored a bunch of terrific goals.

So many Arsenal fans have wanted Tony Adams and Dennis Bergkamp to become managers. Adams' first results haven't been promising, although he's hardly had much to work with.

Good luck to Kiwomya, who certainly fits the profile of the mediocre player who becomes a manager. But Arsenal have produced far more pundits than managers.

Frankly, I'm surprised more of Graham's players haven't become managers. Most good coaches produce several good coaches. Look how many of Ferguson's players and assistants have gotten head jobs. (Insert punchline here.) But, so far, unless I'm missing someone, the closest any of his players have come to running a team is Niall Quinn.

I wonder if David Rocastle would have gone into management if he'd lived.

viper_001

Established Member
Quotes from Nasri's recent BeIN Sport interview (being retweeted all over the place at the moment)

"AW is the best coach i worked with, the one who understood me the most. He made me the player I am. I'm very thankful"

"During 3 years with him, I was very happy. When I left the coach and I were fine. I wish we talked more"

"Cesc or me were supposed to leave. AW told me that if Cesc would leave, I would stay. But Kroenke wanted the money"

"I never regret leaving. I won the league. And when I see how Arsenal are in difficulties to finish 4th"

"The coach told me we'll only take Gervinho, Cesc was already gone, I had only 1 year left so I decided to leave"

It doesn't exactly bring about any new information, but I'm a bit surprised he's still talking about us. Almost as if he's trying to deflect attention away from his ****e performances on the pitch. In a couple of months, he'll be shipped off back to Ligue 1 when City sign a more consistent performer. Maybe he's starting to feel the heat.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
take a pay cut, roll your sleeves up, and get your work on. maybe then we might give you a place on the bench next to gervinho

Gunner_JT

I doubt he just randomly brought up Arsenal, it's an interview so he's going to be asked questions like that. He's been average for a while now apart from that purple patch at the beginning of last season.

dpt49

Established Member
Uncle Mike said:
GDeep said:
Frankly, I'm surprised more of Graham's players haven't become managers. Most good coaches produce several good coaches. Look how many of Ferguson's players and assistants have gotten head jobs. (Insert punchline here.) But, so far, unless I'm missing someone, the closest any of his players have come to running a team is Niall Quinn.
I've often thought it odd that so few of Graham's players became managers or coaches, yet so many of them became pundits on radio or T.V.

Players like Dixon, Winterburn, Merson, Wright, Groves, Parlour, Robson, Keown, Smith etc have all had good careers in the media.
The only players I can think of that have stayed in football working at a club, are Quinn at Sunderland and Marwood, at Man City.
Also the only players I can think of, that played for Graham and went on to a coaching job was Adams, at a few different clubs, Bould, with us and Kiwomya, who wasn't exactly a first team regular with us.

I'm sure there must be others but I can't think of any.

Top Bottom