• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ex-Gunner Watch

Is it wrong to still love Giroud

• Yes he’s no longer a gooner

• No he will always be a top man

Results are only viewable after voting.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Vieira is a legend, no doubt. Flirted with Real but which player hasn't considered a change of scene? Gerrard was tempted by Chelsea, Roy Keane was tempted by Bayern and Italian clubs, natural for a player.

In the end, he was pushed out of Arsenal, Wenger had Cesc coming up. Post Arsenal a player can do what's best for them and it won't affect how I view them, work for City, be less than positive about Arsenal like Vieira has been at times etc.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I'm on the fence with Paddy. He said a lot of things identical to what RVP said about the future of the club but didn't move in the end, you get the feeling he would have left a lot earlier if the decision was 100% his. I also don't like how he's working for City when he more than likely was offered a job here. He was an outstanding football and leader, but being honest it wouldn't feel right to say he's a legend all things considered.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The Real decision was his, Vieira has confirmed HE pulled out when a move was possible. Nothing to suggest he was offered a job at Arsenal either, the City gig was prestigious as it was highly paid and involved a friend from Inter - Mancini.

I don't care about the statement, Keane said unsavoury things about Manure, I think De Rossi and Totti have done similar etc, stick to the field and he was the driving factor to all our success, as a player and captain.

If we want to knit pick, Henry isn't a legend, joined Barca after he couldn't beat them.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I don't know. The captain of your club coming out and criticising players isn't on for me, and to top it all off we went on the go unbeaten that season so no only was it uncalled for but also a load of bullshit. I don't think anything Keane said was on that level, it's what makes me doubt him when he says the decision to stay was 100% his. You don't say that current players and signings aren't up to scratch, that we aren't going anywhere in the future and then turn down Real Madrid. I doesn't add up.

I'd be hugely surprised if he wasn't offered a job with us, I thought we were in to loan him as well. I don't think money and Mancini should be enough to temp him either, he spent the bulk of his career here as a captain, and as you say yourself a legend of the club.

jerome2158

Established Member
vieira did say a lot about the future of the club, but then again....look at what we've been through.

Was he so wrong?

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
GDeep said:
Vieira is a legend, no doubt. Flirted with Real but which player hasn't considered a change of scene? Gerrard was tempted by Chelsea, Roy Keane was tempted by Bayern and Italian clubs, natural for a player.

In the end, he was pushed out of Arsenal, Wenger had Cesc coming up. Post Arsenal a player can do what's best for them and it won't affect how I view them, work for City, be less than positive about Arsenal like Vieira has been at times etc.
Poor decision in hindsight, haven't won anything since Paddy Vieira left. For that alone he has to be considered a legend. Led us to countless trophies and have been unable to win something without his on-field leadership.

Still waiting for David Smith to weigh in and say Fabregas is an Arsenal legend, but Vieira's not.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
jerome2158 said:
Was he so wrong?

He talked about how he couldn't see us finish in the top 5 in a season in which we won the double FFS, of course he was wrong.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
GDeep said:
Mourinho wants him to stay on and renew his contract, so sadly a return is looking unlikely.

A legend for me btw, came through the ranks, played at world class levels, helped us get success, part of the best Arsenal sides any of us can remember, part of the greatest rivalry in PL football etc, for a someone who left us at a very young age he made a brilliant mark.

Also, his departure was debateable, it's not an RvP situation, and he's remained very classy over the years. Still got a lot of love for Cole.

I know you write this stuff for a reaction but ****ing hell :lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Bigbludfire said:
GDeep said:
Mourinho wants him to stay on and renew his contract, so sadly a return is looking unlikely.

A legend for me btw, came through the ranks, played at world class levels, helped us get success, part of the best Arsenal sides any of us can remember, part of the greatest rivalry in PL football etc, for a someone who left us at a very young age he made a brilliant mark.

Also, his departure was debateable, it's not an RvP situation, and he's remained very classy over the years. Still got a lot of love for Cole.

I know you write this stuff for a reaction but ******* hell :lol:

Never.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
jerome2158 said:
Paddy is a legend.

I agree, 100% legend for me but he does leave a bad taste in mouth with the Real talk and Man City work. Was just asking Stevez his take since he said about legends not leaving a bad taste in the mouth, which I don't specifically agree with.

Henry and Fabregas are also similar cases, although less 'bad taste in the mouth' because of their obvious love for the club since leaving for Barca.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
DJ_Markstar said:
jerome2158 said:
Paddy is a legend.

I agree, 100% legend for me but he does leave a bad taste in mouth with the Real talk and Man City work. Was just asking Stevez his take since he said about legends not leaving a bad taste in the mouth, which I don't specifically agree with.

Henry and Fabregas are also similar cases, although less 'bad taste in the mouth' because of their obvious love for the club since leaving for Barca.
Yeah, Fabregas paying the club £5m tastes like chips.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

In other news, Everyone's favourite "he wasn't really that bad, honest guv" Ivorian has decided to have a dig at Wenger.

Can't say I'm surprised.

EDIT:

:lol: oops! That's about the most innocent thing I've looked at today as well! :eek:ops:

future heroes

It's bizarre to read that some Arsenal fans question Vieira's status as an Arsenal legend.

As already been stated:
jerome2158 said:
Paddy is a legend. He was here the bulk of his career, played almost 200 more games for Arsenal than for everyone else, and won a heap with us. Granted there were always the rumours of him leaving/wanting to leave, but he was still here long enough and didn't go to a direct rival.
Vieira gave us his best years, captained the Arsenal team that went unbeaten in the league (that alone would make him a legend in my opinion), left the club as a winner, and then went abroad.

It was a privilege to have Vieira as an Arsenal player. A legend at Arsenal and a legend in PL.

burnsjed

Established Member
The weird thing about the Vieira talk about him leaving, is that it would obviously surface every summer, and coincidentally, when ever he was out of the country.
The stories were all coming form his agent, who he eventually got rid of, after another story broke out while he was in NY.

Pat was a top man.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

future heroes said:
It's bizarre to read that some Arsenal fans question Vieira's status as an Arsenal legend.

No one is doing that, what is happening is just a fleshing out of ideas - I wanted Stevez to quantify his 'bad taste in the mouth' statement is all.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
When Vieira left, it was as the Captain of the national champions. A year earlier, he had been Captain of the league champions. (The FA Cup is a lot closer to a "national championship" than the League is.) To say that we didn't need him anymore is harsh, especially since we, essentially, went from being 1st & 2nd every year with him to being 3rd & 4th every year without him. But, at the time, it didn't look like a terrible loss. And he HAD produced trophies for us, and was as responsible for them as anyone else. Or, to put it another way: Arsène Wenger has never won a trophy for Arsenal without Patrick Vieira.

Whatever he's said and done since leaving, Vieira is an Arsenal Legend.

Contrast that with the ones who left:

* Ashley Cole. Arguably a legend, since he did help us win a Double, the Invincible season, and 2 other FA Cups, and got us into the CL Final, and along with Sol was the most important defender. Bastard though he became, and bastard though he has been, he did achieve with us. Hold your nose while saying it if you must, but he's an Arsenal Legend.

* Cesc Fabregas. One trophy, the 2005 FA Cup, on which he was not one of the 11 or even one of the 15 most important players. The 2006 CL run, on which he was definitely one of the 11 and arguably one of the 6 or 7 most important players. But that's it. And he went on strike and left us at a time when we very badly needed a player of his talent, and he didn't give a damn about that. Not a legend, rather a ****.

* Robin van Persie. One trophy, the 2005 FA Cup, on which he was one of the 15 most important players. (He did, after all, score one of the penalties.) The 2006 CL run. But that's it. That red card on Jens was like cutting off the history we should have had, and if it hadn't happened, and Cesc and RVP had still left in horrible ways, it would still be forgivable because they would have been key figures in getting us the greatest trophy of all (for a club team, anyway). But, like Cesc a year earlier, RVP essentially won nothing as a starter, and then, when we needed him most, he screwed us over. Not a legend, rather a ****.

I won't even put Adebayor and Nasri into the mix, since they didn't generate the same kind of love as those three Judases (Judaii?) did.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Stevez said:
DJ_Markstar said:
jerome2158 said:
Paddy is a legend.

Vieira left because he wasn't as important to the club as he would have liked to have been due to Cesc's break through.

That's entirely wrong.

Fabregas had his breakthrough season the year after Vieira left. Vieira was our captain, don't see how his importance to the side was ever in question.

Top Bottom