• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asajoseph

Established Member
There's far more to his game than scoring tap ins. As I said before, just watch him link up with Titi - his short passing in and around the box is absolutely fantastic.

Canuck

Established Member
Perhaps VanReyes should have picked Freddie as the most underappreciated Gunner. He probably would have gotten a better response.

Skysports
I'm sure most people have already read this.

Sources close to Freddie Ljungberg have moved swiftly to deny reports in Greece that the Arsenal star met with Olympiakos president Socrates Kokkalis this week.

The Sweden international is out of contract next term and is yet to commit his future to the FA Cup holders.

Olympiakos coach Trond Sollied is a huge admirer of the 28-year-old and reports in Athens claimed the club were looking to set up a sensational transfer.

However, a source close to player told Expressen that the stories are "nonsense".

It was front-page news in Greek publication Sportime, but Ljungberg has been at Arsenal's training camp in Austria and would appear to have had little time to travel to Athens.

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood revealed recently that the club were entering into negotiations with Ljungberg about a new contract in order to prevent him leaving under the Bosman Ruling next year

eddie_wills

Allyboy said:
Freddie has not been at his best for 2-3 seasons, and beyond running into the box and tapping goals in there is not much to his game.

That comment is far more true of Robert Pires than it is Frederik Ljungberg.

On top of the qualities you concede Freddie holds, his defensive work is excellent, his commitment is faultless, he is extremely quick and makes intelligent runs off the ball.

Maybe he is the weak link in our team, but that doesn't stop him being an excellent player. To sell him would be an awful move.

Spartan

i'm assuming they've mixed up the scandinavians coz apparently olympiakos are close to signing iversen (lol) :lol:

Icarus

Freddie stated to Olympiakos President Kokkalis (a billionaire btw) that he is willing to go to OSFP.

Whether Olympiakos can find it with Arsenal is another thing, which I don't see happening.

OneProudGooner

Established Member
And how would he do that? He's in Austria for god's sake you are just saying the rubbish the tabliods have published like as if you were there "listening" to them.
You can't even compared him to Rivaldo either he was getting on a bit but Freddie is NOT, why would he leave a big club for a smaller one?

Icarus

Hey look, believe it or not, Greece has the most sports newspapers than ANY other country. And I personally think this is BS, as they need to sell papers in the offseason you know.

But for the sake of arguement, while OSFP is no Arsenal for sure, it's not as if they are butt poor. They've an owner/President who has hundreds of hundreds of millions, and they play CL football (not very well though lol). It's not as if he would be signing with FC Keflavik.

OSFP has won their 33rd Greek title and their Prez/owner is tired of Greece. He is craving something in Europe and is splashing around some money.

It's not as insane as it sounds though IMO Ljunberg is about 2-3 years 'too early' for Greece.

Jinn

Established Member
You're going to have to back those statements up, or else I'm just going to lock this. Sounds like absolute tosh to me.

Arsenal_FAN1983

I have never seen Freddie as our weakest link. If that was the case Wenger wouldn't want him to sign a new contract. Freddie is an excellent player who also has his off days, if he had proper competition then maybe he could get a rest sometime.

Sir YoL

I translated this interview in order to finally close this thread.
http://www.arsenal.se/nyasidan/nyheter.asp?meny=Nyheter&underMeny=Alla nyheter&idNr=3150

Translation:
EXTRA: Freddie denies moving
Arsenal Sweden spoke about Greece with Freddie in Austria. - Well, they have to sell newspapers, says the swede and laughs.

Arsenal.se is as the only swedish representative on site and follows Arsenal's training camp in the austrian Bad Waltersdorf.
The news which Aftonbladet published today concerning that Ljungberg would move to Greece and Olympiakos strongly is being denied by Freddie.
- They have to sell newspapers, he says to arsenal.se
But you were supposed to have been there last Tuesday?
- Yes, but I was here last tuesday and trained.
The talk about Greece is in other words only talk?
- Yes. I'm not that flexible so that I can be in Greece and Austria at the same time.
Tomorrow at 10 am Ljungberg and Arsenal will continue to train on the Thermerstadion in Bad Waltersdorf.
You can quote us if you want Aftonbladet.

JOCKE LANDER AND AXEL ASPLUND. Quickly translated by Sir YoL

There you go! Please close this thread now.

jucsitin

Freddie Ljungberg

After reading some of the comments and ratings for the Charlton game yesterday, I have been quite taken aback by the negative comments left by some members of this board on the current performances of Freddie Ljungberg, and indeed his long term value to the team.

Admittedly his performances this season so far have been shadowed by those of Hleb (who was absolutely fantastic especially against Charlton, but this has been well documented) and also Rosicky. However, I believe this is down to the absence of players that have left the club en masse recently, players of the "last generation" that Ljungberg used to work so well with.

On top of that, he has been moved from the right wing to the left wing. This raises two problems: Firstly, he has to get used to the change in position. Some may cite the example of Pires and how he was successful on the left, but may I stress that the two have very different playing styles. Ljungberg likes to take on a man on the outside a lot of the time, using his speed to get past the man, or make runs into the box behind the man, whereas Pires rarely ever reached the by-line, choosing instead to cut in for a shot. For a right-footed player like Ljungberg playing on the left it makes doing either of those considerably harder. Secondly, he has not been able to cooperate with a permanent fullback yet; in previous seasons when he was playing right wing he would have the support and the overlapping runs of Lauren, and the two had built up a definite rapport and understanding over the years. However now on the left and without a constant left back (which is another topic altogether), Ljungberg may feel at times stranded, and I think that has affected his performance a lot.

This season Hleb has made the right wing position his own, and Wenger seems to be intent on playing Ljungberg on the left. I think it is unfair to say immediately that “Ljungberg is on terminal decline” or things like that, since playing in what is essentially a new team in a new system definitely takes time and games to get used to. I strongly believe that after another few games Ljungberg will be back to his battling, man-beating best.

Ljungberg is the longest serving player of our current squad, a Gooner through and through. He is a fighter, and that is evident in every single game I've seen him play. Although in the future, when Rosicky eventually gets integrated fully into the team, Ljungberg may have to take a lesser role than he was accustomed to, I think he has been and is one of our most consistent players in the past 3 seasons, and it would be wrong for us to turn our backs on him now.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Freddie doesn't have any "speed" anymore. That's part of my problem with him. My other problem with him is that he's nowhere near the footballer that either Rosicky or Hleb are now.

And when you talk about performances this season, you forget that he spent most of last season either on his arse, or moaning about the kids in the team.

The_byrne

you cannot say that because he is a gonner he is still worth a place in the team. Your explanantion of his aweful form only explains this season, Why not last aswell?
Everybody's expectation of freddie was heightened after the end of the 2001-2002 (where he played on the left, !!!!) and Early 2002-03. But now he is too slow, and is unable to play one touch football.

As you rightly said some of this is due to other players leaving, but his failure tro adjust to the new arsenal, is no reason to keep him. He would be better served leaving to play in a slower pace league

Shahram

As much as I like him, Ljunberg is finished.

You can't hang on to players for sentimental reasons. Selling him will free up £X k a week, however much it is he is on.

Number8

His time isn't finished, but he won't be a first team player much longer unless he steps up his performances. If Rosicky or Hleb get an injury or need a rest, we have no-one besides freddy to fill in. I'd rather have him at right midfield than Cesc or Eboue.

jucsitin

his failure tro adjust to the new arsenal, is no reason to keep him

But we have given time to Hleb, to Eboue, to Cesc and countless others a "grace" period to fit into the system, why not one for Ljungberg too? I'm not saying his performances now warrant a starting position. Indeed I'm all for Rosicky taking his spot eventually, as things like these happen in football. I just don't want us to flame him as we're doing now.

As much as I like him, Ljunberg is finished.

You can't hang on to players for sentimental reasons. Selling him will free up £X k a week, however much it is he is on.

And what? Bring in another teenager? There is currently an imbalance of experience and youth in our team, I think the experience and grit Ljungberg brings to the team is worth every penny we pay him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom