• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiiphunn

Established Member
lagosgooner said:
stiiphunn said:
As long as you put it like this, I tend to agree with you lagosgooner.
But to be honest, from a strictly footballish point of view, Ljunberg leaving us is in my opinion the best solution. Freddie won't get many games as he wants, and at 29 he can still find one last exciting challenge in a top club. As for Arsenal, it'll allow us to get an effective winger, because let's be honest Freddie has been quite poor up till now and for about two seasons now.

We all need to move IMO, and the moment seems about right. And I'm not talking about financial matters, strictly about football matters.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I did say I was playing the devil's advocate. I wasn't saying I would like Ljunberg to take that stance. I was just throwing a counter argument to Shadow Moses' assertion that Arsenal and the fans' reaction to freddie's possible exit should be all about the money to be saved disregarding other things like his contribution and relationship with the club. I argued that if all that mattered was the money, and arsenal tried to ship him off in an undignified manner, then Freddie was well within his right to take the same stance and see out his contract.

My point being money should not be the biggest issue when trying to find a solution considering the long relationship between freddie and the club and the dignity of the player should be respected.

Yeah sorry I misunderstood you- Read too quickly ;).

I agree with you then- money shouldn't be the issue in this case.

the dawn raids

Established Member
lagosgooner said:
What right have you to say the club can adopt a strictly business stance without Freddie doing the same?

because freddie has no leverage dealing with the club because hes been consistently crap for quite a while now.

the manager/board arent stupid or callous; of course theyll handle the situation delicately given the history between arsenal and fred. but patrick is totally right. players in the last two seasons especially that have shown signs of decline have been let go, and i see no reason why this trend will or should stop with ljungberg.

frankly im a bit suprised this didnt happen in the summer; im sure wenger didnt want to lose so many senior players in such a short span. and maybe after a good cl final he bought himself a bit of extra time.

lagos

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
because freddie has no leverage dealing with the club because hes been consistently crap for quite a while now.
Goodness me! You baffle me with your comment about leverage. are you following this thread or did you just jump in and respond? We are not talking about a renewal but a possible termination of the current one. Even freddy knows this is his last contract at Arsenal so what leverage does he require beside the contract he already has. :roll:

the dawn raids said:
players in the last two seasons especially that have shown signs of decline have been let go, and i see no reason why this trend will or should stop with ljungberg. .

I don't think anyone would argue in favour of keeping Freddie especially on the wages he's on. That's not the issue! (like I said, are you following this discussion? ) :roll:

the dawn raids

Established Member
then what is the issue? treating him with dignity when he leaves? because i did address that issue, you just didnt choose to quote that part (insert little smiley thing here).

its a moot point anyway; freddies contract wont be terminated in such a manner. especially as wenger has made it abundantly clear no ones coming in and with such a tough and congested part of the season coming up hes not going to put us in a situation to be left short.

IBL

Established Member
The club has to move on and allowing a highly paid player who's contributed next to nothing over the last two seasons (and is unlikely to do so in the future) to move on is only common sense.

What I dont like is some posters showing Freddy a complete lack of respect for all he has done for us over the years. His defiencies have been shown up with the departure of Bergy, Vieira and Pires and he doesnt fit in anywhere in the current Arsenal team, but you cant deny the effort he puts in when he does play (minus the moaning).

Grampus_Eight

It will be really sad to see Freddie go. His contributions to the club speak for themselves and his effort and desire were always world class.

But the reality is that he can't contribute to this team anymore. In fact, Flamini, who is so consistently disparaged offers so much more with his ability to play anyway in midfield and both fullback positions. This comparison just shows how much Freddie has been decimated by injuires and age. He relied on his speed and quickness so much that shorn of it (and his dyed hair for that matter) he just can't do the business. If he was willing to often play with the reserves and not even always make the bench and at least cut his wages in half, then it would be great to keep him around. But there is no chance Freddie would ever do that, so the only solution is to sell him or like Sol let him leave on a free. I hope he goes to Atletico or Valencia or over to Italy to play as it would be crushing to see an Arsenal hero and perhaps near-legend play for another english club or a rival. Yet, given the amount of money currently available to premiership clubs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Freddie end up at West Ham, Liverpool, Villa or given his wages, Newcastle.

It is, or should be painful to all the supporters that he won't get a testimonial at a club where he has given everything and been so vital to our successes through these years.

But in the final analysis, he can't offer much to us and his wages are ridiculous.

lagos

Established Member
the dawn raids said:
then what is the issue? treating him with dignity when he leaves? because i did address that issue, you just didnt choose to quote that part (insert little smiley thing here).

As most of us know Arsenal would not behave that way. hence if you followed the discussion you would realise that there was no need for me to respond to that part. I was arguing with shadow moses' view (not Arsenal's view) but of course you butt in and take a different spin on the argument without taking time to understand what's being discussed

morpho

Established Member
please people.. dont believe everything you read... This is nothing more than speculations from the press, and now you are all questioning the way the club disrespect Ljungberg??
Jumping conclusions, are we? Maybe he disaperes in summer, but not before... And honestly.. would you prefer to keep Ljungberg because of lojalty or make money out of him so we can get Ribery?

bazza_afc

It will be a sad day when Freddie leaves us. Not from the aspect that we will lose a key part of the team but he epitomises everything I love in a footballer, heart, passion & commitment.

Christofaux

Smartly Dressed Morris said:
There is no room for sentimentality in football my younglings , you should all know that by now.

So dont get upset when Arsenal lose games... no need to be sentimental ;) .

sentimental turns to fear, fear turns to hate, hate turns to anger, anger turns to russian money.

qs

Established Member
There is no room for sentimentality in football my younglings , you should all know that by now.

I hope i never believe that, if I did i dont know if I could love the game anymore.

Smartly Dressed Morris

qs said:

I hope i never believe that, if I did i dont know if I could love the game anymore.

From a management perspective it's the only way to be. You would rather have a team of dinosaurs playing for "old times sake" ? I think not.

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
The clearout continues.

Jens and Lauren up next.

Then Henry and Gilberto at some point?!

As with all big players for this club, thank you but goodbye, wish you all the best for the future and I shall continue to track your career. Writing's been on the wall for a while now and now with his perceived 'big game player' tag looking less ad less vital I fear these reports ARE true.

Watching Villarreal tonight I was sitting all glum thinking 'I was really looking forward to seeing Pires play in Spain' :( :(

morpho

Established Member
I cant understand what the problem is? Football players is over paid
as it is, and now you want us to continue paying huge wages for a player we dont even going to use in the carling cup? Arsenal does not have the founds to pay has-been players, espesially when we are a club with ambitions!

Christofaux

Its funny how everyone jumps on the hes a moaner and he doesnt offer anything. Ide like to see you try and play football and not complain if everytime your halfway round a player they take your legs. He doesnt moan unless the ball is out of play as well. I remember quite clearly he gets taken down, no foul is given, he gets up and fights for the ball, when the ball is out of play he then asks the ref the only way freddy knows how. He doesnt think like a typical englishman, his first impression is literally "What the F*** is going on thats not how the game works."

I also agree with Sabre in that Freddy wont want to leave London.

Grampus_Eight

Christofaux said:
Its funny how everyone jumps on the hes a moaner and he doesnt offer anything. Ide like to see you try and play football and not complain if everytime your halfway round a player they take your legs. He doesnt moan unless the ball is out of play as well. I remember quite clearly he gets taken down, no foul is given, he gets up and fights for the ball, when the ball is out of play he then asks the ref the only way freddy knows how. He doesnt think like a typical englishman, his first impression is literally "What the F*** is going on thats not how the game works."

I think he would potentially leave London for Milan or Rome where he could get a bit of la dolce vita, not to mention that he could also be effective there or in Spain where he could potentially make a good impression at Atletico and still live it up.

As for excusing the moaning - Freddy has changed as he's lost his pace.

Furthermore, what about moaning on and on about Cesc and the kids last year when it was he who failed to show the required leadership and step-up. Even if this failure was the result of frustrating injuries, he slagged off the young guns instead of taking a look in the mirror.

Not the sort of leadership or attitude needed.

morpho

Established Member
Christofaux said:

Why not? Probably done the most of the chicks in london anyway, so a bit of a different playground wouldnt hurt... Both Arsenal and Ljungberg would be better of if he leaves. Its not babies we are talking about here, but professional football players. Dont think he will leave until the summer, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom