• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Gunners_Nadz said:
Although i was being critical on Freddie's current form. i have to say it would be terrible if he goes tbh. he has been a class player for us aswell. are gonna be one of those clubs who dumps em when they get old? we retired Bergkamp gracefully (granted Bergkamp is Legend), should we let Freddie stay a lil longer?

lil bit on the dilemma here guys, heart says he's "Arsenal", tactical head says he's a terrible player due to his current form :?

There is a difference between form and ability and frankly darling even if Freddie still gives a damm his ability is not there anymore, atleast not the ability we need, this is jsut not a dip in form. His playing style has weakend his body to the extent that the demanding PL is too much for him and for that we should salute him, give him a testimonial the size of Dennis, (some pretty cool Swedes we could invite, P Andersson, Limpar, Thern, Schwarz and Ingesson e.g.

His current ability regardless of form could be useful for most midlevel teams and teams on the continent, not top teams but teams that can and are willing to pay his wages. He is captain for Sweden now so he won't retire any time soon. Maybe a final paycheck where it is warm would be good for him and a slower and less physical game can heal his injuries because we (Sweden) need professionals like him among the merry bunch of amateurs we have now except a few good ones and we pray for Henrik LArsson to come out of his retirment but that is another topic.

Because of Freddie great contribution to the club we should let him go, squeeze a bird to tight and you will kill it you know. That is what we have done, don't keep him on as a squad player, it is not fair against him and deep inside I don't think that is what he wants, and even if he says so show him some tough love

Goalkeeper

I think when some are you are valuating Ljungberg's contribution to Arsenal, many of you are forgetting his biggest asset to the club, his experience, which is something this squad is lacking. As Arsenal's longest serving player, he is proven and has actually won things with the club as opposed to newcomers, Rosicky, Walcott, and even Fabregas. Even if he isn't Super Freddie anymore, tossing out experience like that out of the window is a gross waste.

Losing Viera, Pires, Bergkamp, Campbell, within such a short amount of time has depleted Arsenal of it's experience and dare I say, the soul of the club, and to lose Freddie on top of that list is devastating.

Even if Freddie can't play as well as he used to, him sitting on the bench, or simply training with the squad can have a positive impact on the youngsters. To many Swedes, he is still a national hero and many look up to him. Bergkamp didn't play that many games in his last two years, so I say that we let Freddie stay until his contract is over, and resign him if he takes a pay cut.

BigBoss

sabret00the said:
Shadow Moses said:
sabret00the said:
Funny thing is, Freddie's been with the club longer than most of the posters on this site :lol:

Well considering the forum was created Oct 2003..
I didn't say longer than most people have been posting on this site, i said longer than most people on this site have been with Arsenal. i.e. He got here in '98 and most people here started supporting us around 2001 if not later.

Really? How you know that...Anyway I would have preferred him to stay or even retire while being here...remember when he allow us to win against Manu twice by lobbing Schmeichal soon after arriving.....Btw I hate Manu....I almost enjoy as much to see them lose as to see us win...but that is off-topic

IBL

Established Member
Freddy is offering us next to nothing and pocketing a huge salary, why would we want him to stay until he retires? Bergkamp and Pires at Freddy's age were still producing the goods, that's why they stayed as long as they did. Freddy has achieved close to legendary status for what he has done for us in the past but at the moment he's a luxury (of sorts) we just dont require.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Ice Berg legend said:
Freddy is offering us next to nothing and pocketing a huge salary, why would we want him to stay until he retires? Bergkamp and Pires at Freddy's age were still producing the goods, that's why they stayed as long as they did. Freddy has achieved close to legendary status for what he has done for us in the past but at the moment he's a luxury (of sorts) we just dont require.

And the key difference is that Pires and Dennis had a huge technical skillset to drop back on when the physiqye started failing, while Freddie had limited technique that was jsut enough for him to capitalize on his work rate and the technical abilities of others, now his physique is starting to fail him and his technical ability is not enough and the teams skillset is different

Tony Montana

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Shadow Moses said:
sabret00the said:
Funny thing is, Freddie's been with the club longer than most of the posters on this site :lol:

Well considering the forum was created Oct 2003..
I didn't say longer than most people have been posting on this site, i said longer than most people on this site have been with Arsenal. i.e. He got here in '98 and most people here started supporting us around 2001 if not later.

And that's what pisses me off . It was worse before the new regulations when all these Johhny come lately would sabotage the site. Even if in principle I don't like the new rules, it has done some good.

Alfonso

Established Member
What is wrong with supporters supporting Arsenal late? Everyone has to start somewhere.

Werent all of us 'Johhny come lately' supporters at one point? When you started supporting Arsenal in 1994(wild guess), were you a plastic fan because Arsenal won the cup winners cup that year?

Dont you want Arsenal to have more supporters?

The chances are, the more 'plastic' supporters we have, the more chance of having more die hard supporters. Because those plastics will eventually turn into good supporters.Law of averages and all that. Like i said, everyone has to start somewhere.

There are no rules that state the reasons for one supporting a side.

Rule 12b:
One must not support a side that has won a trophy in the past 18 months. :lol:

Anyway, plastic or not, more supporters=more money for Arsenal=Arsenal being more successful in the long run.

If it wasnt for the Wenger years, im sure this forum would have half the members it has now. Which one would you choose? I know i would choose the mentality: 'more the merrier'.

If there was a no plastic rule for supporting teams, we would still be playing in Highbury right now.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Will all these fans stop supporting us if we go through a bad period? I'm not talking about 4th here, i'm talking about not getting into Europe. I was also talking primarily of the people on this site who somehow always seem to have a superior opinion even though they only tagged along because of our success. Remember DannyDyer?

sabret00the

Established Member
It's not about being plastic Alfonso. It's just i see so many people talking **** about the guy in this thread and trust me i'm not his biggest fan and yet he was with the club when they started supporting the club, for years in fact. I'm just highlighting the lack of respect really, the fickledom that comes with peoples gravitation to a club in it's glory days.

I was with Arsenal wayyyyyy before Ljungberg got here, before Wright even got the club. But i was lucky to have the club as part of my bloodline. It became less of a family thing and more of a personal thing for me quite late, during Wrighty's era. There was no better feeling for me than signing "Wright Wright Wright", i still look back and feel honoured that i could consciously sing that and support my club and him as part of that with that song. For me there is an absolute in terms of what an Arsenal personality is about, my favourite striker to EVER don the kit. Henry has never come close to giving me the feeling that Ian Wright bestowed upon me. That man is responsible for an unrivalled passion that runs within me for this team, something that is likely to live on longer than him and right into the lives of my kids. I remember how devastated i was when he was sold too.

I'm merely saying that because most people arrived late, they find is easier to ignore his (Ljungberg's) contributions. And while i'm glad he's going "the footballing parasite" that he is. I just think that unless you were around for his tenure, you don't have the right to **** talk him.

lagos

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
Will all these fans stop supporting us if we go through a bad period? I'm not talking about 4th here, i'm talking about not getting into Europe. I was also talking primarily of the people on this site who somehow always seem to have a superior opinion even though they only tagged along because of our success. Remember DannyDyer?

Time will tell, but in the mean time they are helping us to repay our debt by filling out the stadium and buying merchandise. And if they end up loyal fans good!, it not... who cares?

Like Alfonso said everybody is a new fan at some point. Very few are fans because they inherited it from their parents

sabret00the said:
I'm merely saying that because most people arrived late, they find is easier to ignore his (Ljungberg's) contributions. And while i'm glad he's going "the footballing parasite" that he is. I just think that unless you were around for his tenure, you don't have the right to s**t talk him.

On the contrary, "**** talking" him is if anything the kind of stuff, I would only expect from "Johnny come latelys" not someone who has been around long enough to have witnessed and hopefully appreciate his contributions

bazza_afc

sabret00the said:
It's not about being plastic Alfonso. It's just i see so many people talking s**t about the guy in this thread and trust me i'm not his biggest fan and yet he was with the club when they started supporting the club, for years in fact. I'm just highlighting the lack of respect really, the fickledom that comes with peoples gravitation to a club in it's glory days.

I was with Arsenal wayyyyyy before Ljungberg got here, before Wright even got the club. But i was lucky to have the club as part of my bloodline. It became less of a family thing and more of a personal thing for me quite late, during Wrighty's era. There was no better feeling for me than signing "Wright Wright Wright", i still look back and feel honoured that i could consciously sing that and support my club and him as part of that with that song. For me there is an absolute in terms of what an Arsenal personality is about, my favourite striker to EVER don the kit. Henry has never come close to giving me the feeling that Ian Wright bestowed upon me. That man is responsible for an unrivalled passion that runs within me for this team, something that is likely to live on longer than him and right into the lives of my kids. I remember how devastated i was when he was sold too.

I'm merely saying that because most people arrived late, they find is easier to ignore his (Ljungberg's) contributions. And while i'm glad he's going "the footballing parasite" that he is. I just think that unless you were around for his tenure, you don't have the right to s**t talk him.

Somehow you have found a way to have a dig at Thierry. It seems every other post there's a sly dig not very well hidden in your posts. This thread has gone from discussing Freddie to real supporters yet you still find a way to have a dig at Henry. You talk about showing respect to Freddie, which I agree with but why don't you show some respect to Thierry Henry, the highest scorer in Arsenal history and one of the best players to ever play for the club.

sabret00the

Established Member
bazza_afc said:
Somehow you have found a way to have a dig at Thierry. It seems every other post there's a sly dig not very well hidden in your posts. This thread has gone from discussing Freddie to real supporters yet you still find a way to have a dig at Henry. You talk about showing respect to Freddie, which I agree with but why don't you show some respect to Thierry Henry, the highest scorer in Arsenal history and one of the best players to ever play for the club.
i hope you pay as much attention to your girl as you do to my posts! **** sake man, it's time to move on. i don't know why you care so much but the feeling is unrequited. i baka_afc, baffa_afc, what-the-****-ever. seriously, get over it. you accuse me of hating Henry, hating Wenger, lauding Cole and you have so little evidence on most of your claims it's just sad. As for your Henry fetish, so the **** what if i don't share it? and no i never had a dig at Henry, i merely stated that 'the official greatest ever player to ever play for the club' does not compare to how Wrighty made me feel.

You have problems, deal with them.

Alfonso

Established Member
Sabre, good post above. Ian Wright is also my childhood hero as well. If it wasnt for him, i prob wouldnt have supported Arsenal. And thank god you have finally changed that awful avator you had! :lol:

Going back to Wrighty, it is not fair to compare him and Henry. I think because Wright may remind us of our childhood, we have more nolstagic emotional attachment to him, but Henry is a bad boy as well. In 5 years time we will look back and have fond memories of the Henry years just as we did with the Wright years.

Lets just feel privalged, that as Arsenal supporters, we have had the pleasure of two great charasmatic strikers that have played for us in recent years(also add Bergkamp to this list)who have given us so many great memories.

bazza_afc

sabret00the said:
bazza_afc said:
i hope you pay as much attention to your girl as you do to my posts! f**k sake man, it's time to move on. i don't know why you care so much but the feeling is unrequited. i baka_afc, baffa_afc, what-the-f**k-ever. seriously, get over it. you accuse me of hating Henry, hating Wenger, lauding Cole and you have so little evidence on most of your claims it's just sad. As for your Henry fetish, so the f**k what if i don't share it? and no i never had a dig at Henry, i merely stated that 'the official greatest ever player to ever play for the club' does not compare to how Wrighty made me feel.

You have problems, deal with them.

Your constant criticism of Henry is as irritating to me, as me pointing it out is to you.

sabret00the

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Sabre, good post above. Ian Wright is also my childhood hero as well. If it wasnt for him, i prob wouldnt have supported Arsenal. And thank god you have finally changed that awful avator you had! :lol:

Going back to Wrighty, it is not fair to compare him and Henry. I think because Wright may remind us of our childhood, we have more nolstagic emotional attachment to him, but Henry is a bad boy as well. In 5 years time we will look back and have fond memories of the Henry years just as we did with the Wright years.

Lets just feel privalged, that as Arsenal supporters, we have had the pleasure of two great charasmatic strikers that have played for us in recent years(also add Bergkamp to this list)who have given us so many great memories.
My thing is, i realise that many people feel the same way about Henry as i do about Wright and it's an important feeling to have in football. I just don't like it when people tell me that i have to feel the same way about Henry as they do. Different people like different things, variety is the spice of life for that very reason.

As for the avatar, i stopped holding out for a picture of Cesc, Gallas and van Persie hugging and just said **** it. take it back to the old school.

Tony Montana

Established Member
When I was a kid I loved Wright. I had his name on the back of my Arsenal shirt with the premier league patches on the side. He wasn't the reason I supported Arsenal but it was a help. Even when Bergkamp came I didn't even acknowledge him properly because I was all wrighty loved up. Remember that twist, turn and dummy against Sp**s in 1996 or 97 against Sp**s when he put in a lovely long cross for Dennis on the other side of the pitch who cooly controlled it and smashed a low drive into the near post? Aaaaaaaaaaaargh. :worthy I was there in the West Stand as a junior gooner.

Ian Wright was a G. As was Ljungberg. :lol:

bazza_afc

sabret00the said:
Alfonso said:

My thing is, i realise that many people feel the same way about Henry as i do about Wright and it's an important feeling to have in football. I just don't like it when people tell me that i have to feel the same way about Henry as they do. Different people like different things, variety is the spice of life for that very reason.

As for the avatar, i stopped holding out for a picture of Cesc, Gallas and van Persie hugging and just said f**k it. take it back to the old school.

Yeah fair enough, you prefer Wright to Henry whatever, not exactly a radical view. For the record my hero/idol is Tony Adams, but it's very hard to understand your constant digs at a man who has done so much for Arsenal the team you love and if I want to bring you to task about it I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom