• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

>YounGunner<

Established Member
I dont see what Freddie has to offer. What experience can he bring? How to fall down or moan better?

Also its not like he offers much leadership wise.

I feel we are keeping him for too long now. Hes obviously lost two of the most important things in his game and they where his Pace and Dennis Bergkamp. Hes injury prone and while out for most of the season he picks up his big pay check every week. Can we afford that?

What can he offer us? Apart from his so called wonderful experience?

Grampus_Eight

Freddie reiterates desire to stay.

I'm the first to admit that he seems past it and it looks like he'll never be totally fit or recover his pace - and as much as I do think that he should have been replaced (by Ribery), it's nice to hear that Freddie wants to stay...

Regardless of what happens, as the song goes, he is Arsenal through and through. His determination almost kept up the resistance to Barca...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... ars120.xml

Invincible

Established Member
Freddie is such a wonderful bloke and always has been. Hopefully he will recover his old form for us next season. He's far from past it in my honest opinion and it's silly to write him off like that tbh. He has been hit by constant injuries in the last 2 years.

vin de guerre

This may and most probably get shouted down but I would not be averse to seeing him as captain! He is showing he is doing a good job with Sweden and i am sure he would be better than Titi.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
vin de guerre said:
This may and most probably get shouted down but I would not be averse to seeing him as captain! He is showing he is doing a good job with Sweden and i am sure he would be better than Titi.

I can't see the point of making Ljunberg captain when he only plays a handful of games a year and isn't a straight first choice. I can understand your sentiments though. He's been very loyal and a great servant to the club

Nutsy

Established Member
Rosicky's a captain of the Czech Republic National Team. Though he's wet behind the ears. But eventually Rosicky will learn and he can be a good captain.

Freddie is a loyal servant to begin with, I pay my sentiments to him. but the fact that we are still paying him 70k per week with him barely doing anything kinda steep.

I love this guy. but 2 consecutive seasons plagued with injuries hurts us and him. We cant hope to see Freddie of 2002. It will take a miracle to do that. that and the red hair.

Gocklosaurus

Yeah, but we will see a very compact and experienced Freddie, who will not anymore look as fancy as he did, but will be very efficient for the team.

cescthebest

vin de guerre said:

What are you talking about, giving the captain band to a dead wood, be serious if Freddie was not playing for us, many will be calling him crap, but we Arsenal fans always seem to overrate our players.

Freddie is past it buddy, we need someone that can beat his marker and also be a threat in front of goal( Reyes, Babel), freddie offers none.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
I just hope that IF he stays, that this season does not end up like that season at Man City for Seaman.

I think that if he was here for another season at say 30k a week, we would all say "yes".

We do seem to have a dearth of experience at Arsenal right now. Freddie has bags of that, so would be good for that reason.

Chips&CurrySauce

If I had my way Freddie would be gone. He's hardly ever fit and when he is fit he spends more time on his arse than playing football.. Without his goals, which have been missing for a few seasons now, his limitations are glaring.. Can't beat a man, can't cross a ball, but he runs around alot...

The only reason why he is desperate to stay is that next year is his testimonial year and to be honest, despite what his agent is saying a just can't see a top team coming in for him... If he did leave he'd end up somewhere like Portsmouth or West Ham...

Freddie for captain is just a totally bizarre suggestion..

Glovegun

Established Member
Ive slightly changed my opinion of Freddie over the past few months. I think it's obvious that he is never going to be as good as he was again - the goals have dried up, and so has his pace.

But - he has had the sense to reinvent himself as a player. He's not really an asset when it comes to breaking teams down at home, but away in a 4-5-1 he has proved very, very able. If Freddie accepts that he isnt going to play regularly (even when fit) then we may as well keep him.

We shouldnt have to come to a case where we keep a player because of his age or experience, but I think that needs to be considered. We have so few experienced players, and even fewer who really know the club. Freddie is one. Had Pires stayed, had we not sold Lauren, had Sol stayed put (etc etc) that wouldnt be such a big factor, but unfortunately it is.

j'nuh

The thing is, Freddie is still only 29. You just dont go into irreversable decline at 29. He's never going to have the blistering acceleration he once had, but if he can keep free of injuries he can be a valuable asset to the club. Wenger has said this for a while. He hasnt been fit for two years. Its a big if, i know.

He could be key in breaking teams down at the grove next season. His movement is always world class, and if he can combine that with fitness he can be the goalscoring midfielder weve been crying out for this season.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
number_0 said:
I hope he changes his game like the way Ryan giggs did at Manu.
he would be a great leader for us.
wake up lad.

it will never happen. giggs always had the speed to beat players.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Freddie wants to stay - oh boy this summer just gets worse and worse.

I suppose we'll still have the comedy factor that are his stepovers amuse us, but as much as I like a giggle I wouldnt want the club paying out £70k a week for it.

Lord Dula

Established Member
arsenal_hleb said:
number_0 said:
wake up lad.

Also Giggs has tremendous balance and can drop his shoulder and fox a defender - Freddie cannot and has not ever been able to do that.

number_0

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
arsenal_hleb said:
number_0 said:
wake up lad.

Also Giggs has tremendous balance and can drop his shoulder and fox a defender - Freddie cannot and has not ever been able to do that.

i didnt mean improve his pace, because that is gone, i meant impoving other aspects of his game, like set piece taking(which is good btw) or his overroll defending and disturbution

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Giggs's peaking again last season was not luck. He worked hard and took good care of himself. He hired a yoga trainer to prolong his playing career. He took those extra miles just to win more honours. I wonder what Freddie has done to himself in the last season. To me, his limb movement just looks more and more rigid. Not to mention the frequent snaps on his hamstring. Freddie has past it and he should accept that. The club has been good and patient enough to him. Time for him and the team to move on, in seperate ways, I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom