• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Got this from Frenchgunner11 in the lobby:

L'Équipe TV guest Sébastien Xavier from FF said of a bid from Arsenal for striker Fred. Offer stated is €16 million and player Fredrik Ljungberg. O.Lyon are looking at the bid but would rather Gallas or Nicklas Bendtner. Alan Perrin will look to get Rafael Sobis with moneys of Fred or Chelsea's Florent Malouda

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
would anybody prefer us to sell to viola or another epl club?

i personally would want freddie to be a italian, for the benefit for himself as he would be better there in his current loss of form.

also fiorentina deal is better for us. i don't think he would be a threat to us if he move to rival clubs though

Bergy_1995

Sounds like rubbish to me. The guy is out for at least 2 months anyway, why'd Wenger sign a player he couldn't train with 'til September? We need players to join the squad now and get prepared for an important season ahead.

Much more realistic options than Fred.

And yeah, agreed thegam24, I'd take the cash from Fiorentina. Wouldn't mind Bojinov thrown in either to be honest.

asajoseph

Established Member
I know he's been awful for a couple of years, but I'm wondering if it's really worth selling Ljungberg if Arsène doesn't have someone to come in to replace him - what's the plan? Diaby? Eboue?

Bergy_1995

It'd be foolish to use Diaby as a left-sided midfielder, he's definitely a box-to-box kind've guy. We all know Eboue works best as a right-back, but loves to go forward. Right wing could be sorted much better than using him.

To be honest I'm pretty sure Wenger will use the same combo of Eboue & Hleb on the right side, then Clichy and Rosicky on the left-side. Then Fabs and Bert in the middle.

Unless he wants a 5-man midfield or a 4-3-3 where we could see Eduardo, RVP and Ade upfront, 2 pulling wide, with Rosicky Cesc & Bert in the midfield.

In an ideal world though we'd get a classy winger like we had in Overmars who could score regularly.

But yeah, I've the feeling Wenger will use Hleb and Rosicky on the flanks with Clichy and Eboue bombing past them.

Still, with all that side, and Freddie's quite probable departure, we still need to invest in a natural wide-man who can get in goal-scoring positions.

longrufus

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I know he's been awful for a couple of years, but I'm wondering if it's really worth selling Ljungberg if Arsène doesn't have someone to come in to replace him - what's the plan? Diaby? Eboue?

Im taking a positive spin on this, hoping he and his big wage bill is making way for a quality wide player.

Maybe because i cant imagine how poor we'd be with Eboue or Diaby on the wing for any sustained period of time.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
I think most people are basing their winger requirements on the assumption that Theo's form will be similar to how it was in the second half of last season. I'm not saying that's an incorrect assumption to make, but Wenger may not see it the same way. He is in a better position than us to see how exactly Theo's form was affected last season by his injury, and more importantly, how Theo will fare next season. He may feel that Theo is ready to play a much bigger part than we give him credit for.

Oh and whether Eboue is a good or bad choice for a role on the wing, there is a big difference between Eboue in midfield alongside Hleb, Djourou, Diaby, Aliadiere and Baptista, and Eboue in midfield alongside Rosicky/Hleb, Fabregas, Gilberto, Van Persie and Eduardo/Adebayor. At the very worst, I can't see Eboue being any worse than Freddie was last season, so we won't be any worse off than last season if Freddie leaves.

otfgoon

Established Member
TO be fair Eboue has looked good out wide on the right most of the times he's played there. However Eboue, Theo, Hleb and Rosicky doesnt exactly fill me with confidence, at the very least its a gamble.

thegame24

Established Member
Can anyone think of any good wingers in football though?

there arnt many

and the good ones are all taken up.

its a position that is lacking

asajoseph

Established Member
otfgoon said:
TO be fair Eboue has looked good out wide on the right most of the times he's played there. However Eboue, Theo, Hleb and Rosicky doesnt exactly fill me with confidence, at the very least its a gamble.

Which times are you thinking of?

Because he was a complete non-event playing there against Pompey.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
asajoseph said:
otfgoon said:

Which times are you thinking of?

Because he was a complete non-event playing there against Pompey.
As was every other Arsenal player on the pitch that day, but he at least managed to win us a penalty. On the other hand, playing alongside Cesc and others against Sp**s, he was outstanding. We really haven't seen enough of him in midfield for us to make a judgement either way.

asajoseph

Established Member
As was every other Arsenal player on the pitch that day.

I don't know why that's supposed to be an excuse.

On the other hand, playing alongside Cesc and others against Sp**s, he was outstanding.

At WHL? As I understand (I missed the game because I was away skiing), he only came on towards the end as a substitute. But I might be wrong.

Anyhow, I still really, really don't believe Eboue has the skills to be regularly effective in midfield.

otfgoon

Established Member
asajoseph said:

On the other hand, playing alongside Cesc and others against Sp**s, he was outstanding.

At WHL? As I understand (I missed the game because I was away skiing), he only came on towards the end as a substitute. But I might be wrong.

Anyhow, I still really, really don't believe Eboue has the skills to be regularly effective in midfield.

He also played there a couple of times early in his Arsenal career. But overall I think we'll have to wait and see really.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
asajoseph said:

Because it's hardly very easy to come into an unfamiliar position, playing in a meaningless game in a very weak side, and play well.

// edit - my bad, he came on for Aliadiere with half an hour to go. He still cut them to pieces on the right though.

I'm undecided on the matter but he has shown at times that he could be a decent option to have there. Historically we're not a side under Wenger that has stocked up heavily on wide players so I personally wouldn't be too surprised if he started the season as 4th choice.

Meatwad

Arsenal weren't doing anything on the right side against the spuds in that first leg until eboue came on.

Alfonso

Established Member
Meatwad said:
Arsenal weren't doing anything on the right side against the spuds in that first leg until eboue came on.

I think that says more about Sp**s's defence on the night than our attack.

Meatwad

if their defense was so poor that night why weren't we able to get anything going down there before he came on? that doesn't sound like an indictment against their defense, but against the rw he replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom