• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

qs

Established Member
Glovegun said:
Will we sign another central striker, eg Gouffran or Anelka?

Wenger said we wont sign Anelka.

Glovegun said:
Will we go for a winger? (Di Maria Id assume)

Arsenal Shorts made that one up.

Glovegun said:
Is Eboue now seen as a right-winger?

Hasn't played there in preseason yet.

Glovegun said:
Where does Wenger see Rosicky fitting in?

Almost certainly left midfield unless we switch to the 4-3-3 like you have above.

Glovegun said:
Where will Eduardo play?

Out and out striker I think. Though I could be wrong.

Glovegun said:
The future of Reyes?

Certainly not at Arsenal.

Glovegun said:
A lot changeable factors in there, but a transition to 4-3-3 could be likely (or a 4-5-1 without the ball).

Definitely possible. When we signed Rosicky last year I remember Liam Brady saying it was to make up a midfield trio with Bert and Fab, add Denilson, Diaby and Flamini to that and it makes alot of sense. I believe the reason we didn't see that come about properly is because Reyes left and Wenger was left trying to figure out how best to shape his side after that.

Another problem was Henry as he didn't suit the role of playing in the centre of that shape attack. Now however we have Adebayor and Dudu who can both play that position well. van Persie is clearly ideal for that formation but on the right as opposed to the left with Walcott providing quality back up. The addition of Sagna could also indicate that there will be less cover for the full back position. However I see a couple of problems here. We really don't have anyone for the left wing forward position and Robin didn't do great when used there last season so the last thing we need now is to move our best forward again.

Lots of pros and cons for that system.

guinertron

Thanks Freddie, time is right for him to move on he has had a super career with us.
Also a BIG saving on the wage bill especially for a player who has missed big portions of the past few years with injuries.

Hope its one in one out

Blimey had forgot we have more or less lost Reyes too.
surely we will sign

lewdikris

Established Member
Very sad to seee one of the best purchases of Wenger's time here go ... but it really is time to go. Loss of pace and loss of Bergy and Vieira didn't leave him with a role in the side; but no-one could ever question his contribution, or forget the goals, and the hair (until it fell out)!!!

It feels more and more with each day that 4-3-3 is the future just waiting for confirmation. Will that mean a new signing? Doesn't seem like one's massively necessary on current personnel, and there's not an obvious player out there bar ones who aren't really available (Robinho, er, Ronaldinho) who would fit the bill...

But let's see. So long Freddie, you were an awesome awesome player, and a real Arsenal legend.

Nutsy

Established Member
Odd that Arsenal.com has not mention anything yet. I wanted Freddie to leave, but for the cause that he has past it. It is quite sad though. SLowly and slowly our Invincibles team moves away. but it is inevitable.

I like Freddie, absolute player for us before, and a cheeky bastard too.

LjungbergFreddiePJToungueOut040402Abg.jpg
_1983441_freddie300.jpg

From that to this.

ljungbergcrutches.jpg

And then.

See ya Freddie!

training19072007_8.jpg

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
firstly, its saddening to see freddie go. it came as a shock to me because i already set my heart seeing him the next season. well he is a forever legend with us and he will never be forgotten, true gentleman, loyal as always.

then this story teaches us never to believe footballers or anything in football world. wenger say 90% he is staying, then he goes. ljungberg says he will never go to another rival english side, he went to our bogey ham.

finally, i am sorry to say i am glad freddie finally leave the club. its not like i wanted him to leave, but now i am think there is one good player coming in i am happy. i also know wenger isnt stupid afterall and he knows everything that is happening around him.

so our club has cleared all the legends the oldies and underperforming players this season and last season. now barring from a perfect squad would be a winger and flam going out?

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
so now whats our lineup?

lehmann
sagna toure gallas clichy
cesc gilberto rosicky
rvp ade eduardo

lack depth still

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Never quite warmed to Freddie like most gooners. Perhaps because for all his loyalty to the club, I'd always heard reports of him being a bit of a toss pot off it from people that had been 'involved' with him.

I do though greatly respect what he did for our team though, a valuable little asset who seemed to almost single handedly win us our title in 2002 with all those vital goals; lets also not forget that goal in the cup final.

As I said, never really warmed to him, but appreciate what he did for us and wish him well.

arsenal_hleb said:
so our club has cleared all the legends the oldies and underperforming players this season and last season. now barring from a perfect squad would be a winger and flam going out?

Whats with the Flam hate? You hate him that much, you want him to leave...pffft

In the same way that people loved Freddie for his passion on the pitch, take a look at Flams. He'll run his heart out for our team, even if it kills him and I think he's a highly underrated player (as I've droned on about for ages, so don't really feel like repeating my reasons why). When we have defensive players injured, you can rely on the man to do a job. Pure and simple, no fuss.

Anyway, I'll stop interrupting the Freddie love.

Nutsy

Established Member
Tell me why are you dropping Eboue for no apparent reason? I hope you are not assuming because Sagna has made a great debut therefore justify him over Eboue after just one game against a Turkish side?

4-3-3? From Mr. Arsène? Dare to dream A_h Dare to dream indeed.

Glovegun

Established Member
qs said:
Glovegun said:
Will we sign another central striker, eg Gouffran or Anelka?

Wenger said we wont sign Anelka.

Glovegun said:
Will we go for a winger? (Di Maria Id assume)

Arsenal Shorts made that one up.

Glovegun said:
Is Eboue now seen as a right-winger?

Hasn't played there in preseason yet.

Glovegun said:
Where does Wenger see Rosicky fitting in?

Almost certainly left midfield unless we switch to the 4-3-3 like you have above.

Glovegun said:
Where will Eduardo play?

Out and out striker I think. Though I could be wrong.

Glovegun said:
The future of Reyes?

Certainly not at Arsenal.

Glovegun said:
A lot changeable factors in there, but a transition to 4-3-3 could be likely (or a 4-5-1 without the ball).

Definitely possible. When we signed Rosicky last year I remember Liam Brady saying it was to make up a midfield trio with Bert and Fab, add Denilson, Diaby and Flamini to that and it makes alot of sense. I believe the reason we didn't see that come about properly is because Reyes left and Wenger was left trying to figure out how best to shape his side after that.

Another problem was Henry as he didn't suit the role of playing in the centre of that shape attack. Now however we have Adebayor and Dudu who can both play that position well. van Persie is clearly ideal for that formation but on the right as opposed to the left with Walcott providing quality back up. The addition of Sagna could also indicate that there will be less cover for the full back position. However I see a couple of problems here. We really don't have anyone for the left wing forward position and Robin didn't do great when used there last season so the last thing we need now is to move our best forward again.

Lots of pros and cons for that system.

Just to answer your points.

What Arsène said about not signing a striker is not, to my mind, relevant, based on the fact that he is a) secretive and b) just said that Freddie would be staying.

re: Reyes, I know he's going but I assume we wont sign someone until he has gone - the size of the fee will determine how much we have to play with.

You're right about Eboue, but he was used on the right-wing as a substitute last season, and to good effect. The Sp**s carling cup match springs to mind.

The bit about Eduardo, Im not sure about. Wenger did say something about him operating out wide, I'll try to dig the quote up.

Im not necessarily advocating a 4-3-3, but our most recent signings seem to point that way.

Central midfield options:

Gilberto, Fabregas, Diaby, Denilson, Flamini, Song, Randall + Rosicky.

Up front:

van Persie, Adebayor, Eduardo, Walcott, Bendtner

Out wide:

Rosicky, Hleb, Walcott, Eboue (?)

Now although the wide men we have are not bad players, in fact they are excellent ones, it appears that that area of the field has been neglected somewhat. There are also question marks over each man's suitability to play there, whereas the central midfielders and strikers appear more naturally suited to their positions.

Another point Ive been mulling over:

Did we 'miss out' on Ribery, Malouda and Babel, or did Wenger purposefully not go for them?

lewdikris

Established Member
Glovegun said:
qs said:
Glovegun said:

Did we 'miss out' on Ribery, Malouda and Babel, or did Wenger purposefully not go for them?

Hmmm - i'd say we purposefully didn't go for Ribery (probly not an option with Thierry leaving anyways) or Babel, and Malouda was never an option anyways: he makes total sense as a Chelsea signing, and is a pal of Essien and Drogba...

Glovegun

Established Member
Its quite peculiar that over the past couple of years we have lost three of our wide-men (Pires, Ljungberg, Reyes, you could probably also throw Pennant into the mix), and not brought in one natural winger as a replacement.

Rohit

Established Member
Do we have anyone from that 2001/02 double winning team left? In just 3 seasons our unbeaten team has totally disintegrated, its happened so fast its not funny. I can only assume that Freddie going to West Ham and Reyes' inevitable departure will see us buying another player or two, whether that be a striker or a CM or a winger. I loved Ljungberg but it was time for him to go, he has been a great servant for this club, could never doubt his passion, committment and desire to win.

Wenger - Ljungberg's experience is an asset

Its possible the deal and negotiations started after these comments by Wenger. If not i or no one i guess will ever understand why he does this, what is the point?

Big_Cake

lewdikris said:
Glovegun said:
qs said:
Glovegun said:

Hmmm - i'd say we purposefully didn't go for Ribery (probly not an option with Thierry leaving anyways) or Babel, and Malouda was never an option anyways: he makes total sense as a Chelsea signing, and is a pal of Essien and Drogba...

I disagree, Babel would have been a great signing and I believe if had worked a little faster then we could have got Malouda. Now I just don't know who we will sign, no idea whatsoever. Its quite exciting really, I will be reading the gossip sections with more aplomb than usual than this week

asajoseph

Established Member
At £10million? Babel would have been an awful signing, at that price.

Anyhoo, what a shame, eh? The experience argument is probably overplayed, when you consider how bad he's been on the pitch in recent years, but the guy's been a true legend for us, scored some cracking goals, and given us some great moments.

Will Wenger replace him? Who knows... Luka Modric anyone?

Big_Cake

Who knows what infulence Freddie had off the pitch though?
I think Babel will more than justify his price tag to be honest.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Rohit said:
Do we have anyone from that 2001/02 double winning team left? In just 3 seasons our unbeaten team has totally disintegrated, its happened so fast its not funny.

Check your calendar. 8)

I doubt Wenger would sell one player without having his replacement already prepared.

Just my two cents of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom