• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry: The King Stay The King

onetowatch

Bit late to the party but simply echo what most of have already said.

The greatest PL era player of all time, the reason I started supporting Arsenal and so many young players (Hazard, Sturridge, Ashley Young, Benteke, Remy) supported us or Henry.

Took what we saw week in, week out for granted and thought the next world class striker was round the corner. But the line has been broken post Wright, Anelka, Bergkamp, Henry and RvP. Watching his goals back makes you really just how special a player he was.

Thanks Titi, it was a privilege.

GDeep™

League is very weak
His miss against Real means he has no iconic moments in big finals, for a great player that seems off.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Rain Dance said:
vantoure said:
2. People have said he's the best ST they've seen. How does he compare to El Phenomeno, Ronaldo 9. I've always felt like Ronaldo could do more.

Personal opinion, Ronaldo 9 falls too easily and he is a very selfish player.

but this discussion will not end cause everybody entitle to their own favourite player

Falls to easily? Ronaldo dribbled, Henry ran with the ball, theres a difference. I love both, but its no contest when comparing them. Ronaldo was the better player.

blaze_of_glory

GDeep said:
His miss against Real means he has no iconic moments in big finals, for a great player that seems off.

The performance vs Liverpool to preserve the unbeaten season makes up for that to me. That was ****ing heroic.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Tbf I never saw Ronaldo in his prime, I only really understood football around 1999 and he was injured pretty much until 2002 when he was admittedly class, but not quite the same my dad said.

As for Henry's final record, it's a shame but it shouldn't diminish his legacy. Aside from 2006 we didn't have many bites of the cherry unlike other all time greats such as Zidane, Cristiano, Hargreaves, Kaka, Raul, Messi, Sheringham, Robben, Lampard and Drogba who had 2/3 big finals.

Mastadon

Established Member
You cant say Ronaldo 9 (ladyboy edition) was clearly the better player. There were 2 Ronaldo's anyway pre and post injury. Pre injury we will never know for certain just how good he could have been his ceiling certainly would have been higher than Henry but post injury no way he's better even though he was still worldclass. Henry wasn't just about goals either he had a crazy amount of assists for someone who scored so many goals I cant find a comparison of assists with Ronaldo but I bet Henry wins that one easily. IMO there is no right or wrong answer for this one Ronaldo at his best vs Henry at his best would go down to the team they played in and personal preference.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
GDeep said:

His performance at the San Siro is as iconic as any cup final. Him not scoring in a cup final is simply one of those things that happen. No one can dare question his big game credentials, or his honours, individual or as a team.

Fabio Cannavaro is an undoubted great, and he was never able to win the CL, I know it's not the same thing but it goes into the category of things that just happen, or don't happen or whatever.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
The biggest shame in his career has been that he never have been voted as the best player of in the world, he deserved that title at least 3 times. stunning striker stunning player, I cannot describe it.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
B0pg2fNIQAAT-W-.jpg

GDeep™

League is very weak
Cannavro lifted the WC as Captain, that's his iconic moment on the biggest stage. Zidane goal v Valencia in the CL Final, R9 in the World Cup Final v Germany etc, Iniesta in South Africa etc.

Henry for one of the greats and someone who's won it all, doesn't have those moments. Just an observation.

Other than Gooners, no one cares about what he done against Liverpool in some league game.

MaestroCesc

GDeep said:
Cannavro lifted the WC as Captain, that's his iconic moment on the biggest stage. Zidane goal v Valencia in the CL Final, R9 in the World Cup Final v Germany etc, Iniesta in South Africa etc.
*cough* Leverkusen *cough*.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

So have Xavi and David Villa never had a great moment in a final despite "winning it all"? Surely being an integral part of a great team is enough, like Henry was in 2006 WC and 2009.

Football is a team game after all, great players don't always come up with the goods in finals. Johan Cruyff never had a great moment in a final but my dad says he's still the best he's ever seen.

BobP

Memri Fan
This is for those who begrudge Thierry Henry for his handball when up against Ireland.

Football is a high pressure game, the qualifier in particular against Ireland was a high stakes game. Footbllers are naturally going to do whatever possible to attain an advantage against their opponents, it is the role of the referee to ensure that the actions of footballers, in their quest to attain an advantage against their opponents, stays within the boundaries of the rules.

The referee didn't, France got through and got their just desserts once reaching the WC, happens all the time in football, what riles people up what was at stake in that particular game.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Rain Dance said:
vantoure said:
2. People have said he's the best ST they've seen. How does he compare to El Phenomeno, Ronaldo 9. I've always felt like Ronaldo could do more.

Personal opinion, Ronaldo 9 falls too easily and he is a very selfish player.

but this discussion will not end cause everybody entitle to their own favourite player

He's definitely the best striker most here have seen live for sure . Best striker I have ever seen imo was Marco Van Basten.

Henry is a greater spectacle though .

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
GDeep said:

Henry for one of the greats and someone who's won it all, doesn't have those moments. Just an observation.

Other than Gooners, no one cares about what he done against Liverpool in some league game.

? I've got to disagree-Henry's highlight reel of a career was iconic in it's own right. He was so good that he didn't need one moment to define him. His goal against Madrid in the Bernabeu to make Arsenal the 1st English team to win IN Madrid was pretty special. Obviously he didn't score in a big final which would have made for instant memory recollection but what he did for his teams in getting there and in the final was enough for me.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Not that I think it matters when people say he didn't have a big game in a final, but he made mince meat of Italy's defence in the Euro 2000 final. Didn't score but it was definitely a huge performance in a massive game - <a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOkhX_fdmQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOkhX_fdmQ</a>

The 'Henry never did it in a final' is similar to when people say Messi isn't the greatest because he hasn't won a WC - crap. Just something for the casual's who like to look at fancy stats/facts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom