• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,954

It is easy to get excited over your youngsters these days, maybe because all the disappointments with the senior team.

@MutableEarth How would you compare our academy level with previous generations? And how many would you expect to make it with us from players who are on loan+u21 at the moment?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Will he be as good as a Sterling, Ibe or Ox?

No idea personally. Similar stylistically to Sterling at a push, but Sterling was a prolific forward at youth level.

I think he has a very good base to be a top class player though. He's easily the best dribbler we have had in the academy since Wilshere (although Nelson may run him close if he develops like I think he will) and when switched on, he's a very clever and tactically aware player. That may stand him in very good stead, but ideally - if he's playing as an attacking player - he puts up good numbers as soon as he gets an opportunity.

That means knowing when to shoot, making the right passes and - most importantly - having the right movement. That said, he was very promising in his CM position yesterday and that might give Jonker and Wenger ideas.

It is easy to get excited over your youngsters these days, maybe because all the disappointments with the senior team.

@MutableEarth How would you compare our academy level with previous generations? And how many would you expect to make it with us from players who are on loan+u21 at the moment?

Definitely easy to get excited particularly about talent - but it means nothing if they not only never get a chance but fail to force themselves into the picture.

I wouldn't say this academy is ahead of previous ones. We didn't really have much bonafide Hale End talent until 08 when we won the Youth Cup. That side had very decent talents - Wilshere, Lansbury, Emmanuel-Thomas, Watt etc. Coquelin also happened to be in that team. Lansbury was a talent, but it never happened for him. Emmanuel-Thomas was insanely talented but he never made the most of it either. So we've had good talents before over the last 7 years. Afobe also comes to mind, although his injuries messed things up.

This current generation though, while lacking the right coaching at times, have a lot of talent, particularly in attacking areas. Few will make it IMO, but that is because they may not be given the chance to play rather than not being talented enough. The likes of Akpom, Iwobi, Maitland-Niles, Crowley and Zelalem all have fantastic chances of making it, but out of them, I reckon 3 at most will become squad players - at a stretch. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they all made it.

I think the crop just behind them also have a good chance - Nketiah, Gilmour, Nelson and Willock all look like massive talents from what I've seen. But they also, like all the youngsters, have a lot to prove. Not to mention the imports like Malen, Fortune and of course, Jeff.

In order to make it, they need to be given opportunities and they must make the most of them.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

No idea personally. Similar stylistically to Sterling at a push, but Sterling was a prolific forward at youth level.

I think he has a very good base to be a top class player though. He's easily the best dribbler we have had in the academy since Wilshere (although Nelson may run him close if he develops like I think he will) and when switched on, he's a very clever and tactically aware player. That may stand him in very good stead, but ideally - if he's playing as an attacking player - he puts up good numbers as soon as he gets an opportunity.

That means knowing when to shoot, making the right passes and - most importantly - having the right movement. That said, he was very promising in his CM position yesterday and that might give Jonker and Wenger ideas.

Definitely easy to get excited particularly about talent - but it means nothing if they not only never get a chance but fail to force themselves into the picture.

I wouldn't say this academy is ahead of previous ones. We didn't really have much bonafide Hale End talent until 08 when we won the Youth Cup. That side had very decent talents - Wilshere, Lansbury, Emmanuel-Thomas, Watt etc. Coquelin also happened to be in that team. Lansbury was a talent, but it never happened for him. Emmanuel-Thomas was insanely talented but he never made the most of it either. So we've had good talents before over the last 7 years. Afobe also comes to mind, although his injuries messed things up.

This current generation though, while lacking the right coaching at times, have a lot of talent, particularly in attacking areas. Few will make it IMO, but that is because they may not be given the chance to play rather than not being talented enough. The likes of Akpom, Iwobi, Maitland-Niles, Crowley and Zelalem all have fantastic chances of making it, but out of them, I reckon 3 at most will become squad players - at a stretch. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they all made it.

I think the crop just behind them also have a good chance - Nketiah, Gilmour, Nelson and Willock all look like massive talents from what I've seen. But they also, like all the youngsters, have a lot to prove. Not to mention the imports like Malen, Fortune and of course, Jeff.

In order to make it, they need to be given opportunities and they must make the most of them.

I have serious doubts about Zelalem, he's never impressed me when I've seen him at youth level. Akpom and Crowley are special talents, I'd like to think both will be key first team players for years to come. The one for me though is Maitland-Niles, so underrated. He locked down Wesley Sneijder as a 17 year old, pretty special.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I have serious doubts about Zelalem, he's never impressed me when I've seen him at youth level. Akpom and Crowley are special talents, I'd like to think both will be key first team players for years to come. The one for me though is Maitland-Niles, so underrated. He locked down Wesley Sneijder as a 17 year old, pretty special.
Zelalem is a slow burner really - his struggle really has to do more with physicality and using his ability to control matches rather than letting it pass him by. He seems to be working on that, and if he does, he'll make it.

I don't think there's much at all between him and Crowley - Crowley is a more noticeable player because he seeks to impose himself on matches. Picks up pockets of space very easily, and looks to make diligent passes and dribbles. I think the player he reminds me most of is David Silva.

Akpom is someone I'm a massive fan of, but the poor guy is so raw because he never got the consistent first team football he needed to get. He should have got the opportunities that Sanogo received. With his skillset, he could be our number 9 for years to come if it all comes together for him.

I'm with you on Maitland-Niles - I think he's the only dead cert to make it from the academy. Other than decision-making, a problem for most young players his age, he doesn't really have any weaknesses in his game. I think both he and Iwobi have an advantage over the others because of their tactical understanding.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
No one is guaranteed to make it in the PL and JET is the best example of that in our youth system. Ravel Morrison was better in United's youth ranks than Pogba and now his career is in the abyss.

Jeff, Fortune and Crowley look the biggest talents for me and I'd expect them all to make it, but as said no ones guaranteed. If they get a couple of bad loans, or injuries and no opportunities here in their positions then they'll struggle to get game time. There's a large amount of luck and the necessary attitude and intelligence to improve.

In terms of good fortune then Fortune and Akpom are lucky that we have few striker options here. Zelalem is lucky that Arteta and Flamini are on their way out.

Bould14

Most don't make it as regular first team players, but for the first time in a long time I am hoping that your current crop of young players can provide a bit of depth to the squad.

Time will tell you breaks through.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
3 things to update on here:

- The U19s UYL v Olympiakos game is going to be streamed live on Arsenal.com tomorrow. So if by chance you're at home, you can watch the entire game from 2pm.

- Good news for Jeff fans: he's back in training tomorrow.

- Donyell Malen has received FIFA clearance to play.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Olympiacos take a deserved 1-0 lead in the 7th minute. We've been sloppy, slow & not at the races at all.

Henry's on the coaches bench.

redanddread

1-1. Arsenal equalize through their captain ex-Barca man Pleguezuelo. We've been dangerous on set pieces.

redanddread

A sloppy game at the moment but Arsenal should have capitalized on a few Olympiacos mistakes. We're on the up but Olympiacos remain dangerous on the break.

redanddread

Oh, Hugo Kueto with almost a fatal mistake there. Apparently the keeper played well in Zagreb but he does seem to drift between the sublime & the ridiculous at times.

redanddread

Our defending is shaky at the best. Beilik & Peguezuelo are the CB's. Beilik in particular is looking a little dodgy.

Top Bottom