• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
I think what @say yes meant to say was that people here overrate his ability as a footballer, not his importance to the team.

Personally i'd say he was world class in 2015. Since coming back he hasn't been up to the same level.

But even so he's such a relief to see on the pitch again. His attitude is faultless, which makes me believe he can come back to his level from last year, just need dedication and hard work, which he luckily have in abundance.
Since coming back? You mean in the 1 and a half games he's played since returning from injury? Give him a few more games bloody hell :lol: He'll be back to his normal level soon.

CJJ

Established Member
Since coming back? You mean in the 1 and a half games he's played since returning from injury? Give him a few more games bloody hell :lol: He'll be back to his normal level soon.
The thing is, that i'm not yet convinced thats his "normal" level. I hope it is, but i doubt it honestly. Much like Ramsey's purple patch. Dont get me wrong, i still think he's a good player, but in 2015 he was an absolute beast, and i have a feeling he might not get back to that level.

nmn

Him coming off today is an indication of the lack of belief Wenger has in him as an attacker and goalscorer. Sell him and bring in Kante, better known as Baby-Coq.

CJJ

Established Member
I think you guys are naive. This is exactly the same tendency as Ramsey had 2 seasons ago (purple patch). Everybody was praising him to the skies, saying this is his true self etc. I kept saying people should wait and see as i reckoned he couldn't keep that up and look what happened.

I'm by no means saying neither Ramsey nor Coq are bad players, i think they're good. But blindly thinking that Coq will return to the form he had last year is naive. All indications and tendencies you see elsewhere basically tells you the opposite. I'd love to be wrong though.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I think you guys are naive. This is exactly the same tendency as Ramsey had 2 seasons ago (purple patch). Everybody was praising him to the skies, saying this is his true self etc. I kept saying people should wait and see as i reckoned he couldn't keep that up and look what happened.

I'm by no means saying neither Ramsey nor Coq are bad players, i think they're good. But blindly thinking that Coq will return to the form he had last year is naive. All indications and tendencies you see elsewhere basically tells you the opposite. I'd love to be wrong though.
There are two sides to this. You are blindly assuming he won't get back to previous form despite no evidence.

Just let things happen, and then judge. He has done nothing to suggest he can't replicate performances that he not only completed last season, but also the first half of this season. Give him another game or two to get back into the swing of things.

CJJ

Established Member
There are two sides to this. You are blindly assuming he won't get back to previous form despite no evidence.

Just let things happen, and then judge. He has done nothing to suggest he can't replicate performances that he not only completed last season, but also the first half of this season. Give him another game or two to get back into the swing of things.
How so? How is anyone supposed to provide you with evidence of such a thing?

And no i didn't bring evidence because there are none. This is speculation, but at least i speculate based on tendencies and indicatoins you usually see from other players. (even one of our own) Whereas the faith that Coq will return to beast mode comes from what? your gut?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Purple patch is one of the most stupidest things you hear in football, mostly by people that can't or won't back up their argument.

A year and half is not a purple patch.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

The big difference here is Coq is positionally very good his role and he relishes doing the basics , good positinal sense is not a purple patch . Not sure Ramsey does but to be fair it's a much harder role and his purple patch was to do with the goals he was scoring .

stajlarN

Just because some players rely solely on flow (walcott for example) doesn't mean everyone does. Stop with the purple patch nonsense, Coquelin is a class footballer, you can see it in the way he treats the ball. I feel a lot safer when he's on the ball compared to Ramsey tbh

CJJ

Established Member
Purple patch is one of the most stupidest things you hear in football, mostly by people that can't or won't back up their argument.

So Ramsey never had a purple patch? Its a retorical question by the way. Of cause he did, its a more extreme way of being in form. They play over their usual ability and won't be able to keep it up for a long run (years). And how exactly do you add up a year and a half in regard to Coq?

CJJ

Established Member
@stajlarN @celestis
We will see. I've never meant to sound like i dont rate Coq, i rate him highly. I just don't think he will reach the same level he had last year, nor should he be expected to.
No doubt he's grown as a player, but those performances last year was complete and utter world class, just look at the stats. To me it seems like a clear cut purple patch. But again, i'd very much like to be proven wrong.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So Ramsey never had a purple patch? Its a retorical question by the way. Of cause he did, its a more extreme way of being in form. They play over their usual ability and won't be able to keep it up for a long run (years). And how exactly do you add up a year and a half in regard to Coq?

Again, a year and half (at least) is not a purple patch.

Maxim

Agree - It's incredibly infuriating to hear this "purple patch" bllocks, like some players have a magical spell where they are incredible then drop back to a baseline.

Football, like every sport, is built on a constantly fluctuating bed of factors; form of the team and opponents (as a team and individually), confidence, players available, synergies between players, mind state, circumstances in life...I could go on.

Most teams and players are always striving to be at their best and sometimes all the factors line up to bring them to another level. But of course this doesn't mean when those factors change the same players can't come back to that form or get even better just because things have changed.

Basically a "purple patch" in the sense it is used for in football is complete jackanory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom