• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

If it is any comfort to you Kante fanatics, I see a very similar player in Elneny. Their playstyles and respective roles are pretty similar.

Comparisons to Coq are unwarranted however, they are nothing alike besides in the ball-winning role. Kante is a box-to-box link-up CM that pressures opposition, while Coq is a midfield destroyer that stays back to assure minimal damage from opposing breaks and influences the opposition's passing.

Drinkwater seems to play a lot deeper than Kante which allows Kante a bit more freedom to run all over the pitch, Coquelin HAS to stay just in front of the back four and his job only really becomes evident when the opponent are breaking on us. Their jobs are completely different, Coquelin has to stay as the deepest midfielder because he plays with Cazorla or Ramsey who're both converted attacking midfielders into CMs, neither of which will stay beside him too often as they look to influence the attack.

It's really difficult to suggest if Kante would do a better job than Coq in the role he plays for us because he'd almost always have to do the work of two men with very little license to be the player he is at Leicester. Kante is the type of player who'd probably be ideal to partner Arteta more than anything else. There's no denying he's a great player and he's been a great addition but the comparison are a bit off.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
I'm not saying i want Kante to replace Coquelin, because i really dont, but he could definitely do Coquelin's job in our team. What are Kante's best attributes? Insane energy levels and being in the right position at the right time to break up play and make tackles. Pretty much the same best attributes as Coquelin. He also covers a crazy amount of ground so i've no doubt he could cover for Ramsey/Cazorla as they make their forward runs.

I'd take him here though. Think with Arteta and Flamini leaving in the summer we've still only replaced one of them with Elneny. Unless Wenger plans on promoting someone like Zelalam, we still need a another CM imo. Kante backing up Coquelin would be perfect.

Tir Na Nog

Can't see Wenger replacing both Arteta and Flamini, I definitely think a promotion from within is the most likely. I mean he went in to 2 seasons with them as the only DM options, then Coquelin just emerged and we've kinda just ended up stuck with both of them (though Arteta hasn't been a serious option for a while). I don't think Wenger would mind having Coquelin and Elneny as his two senior DM options, certainly not enough that he'd end up spending quite a bit of money on a 3rd one.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Comparing Coq and Kante today is pointless exercise. One is in the middle of his best season while the other is just coming back from a ligament injury. Once Coq shakes off the rust and regains his fitness then let's compare.

Tir Na Nog

In fact you could probably argue (or Wenger could) Coquelin replaces Flamini and Elneny replaces Arteta.

US_Gooner

Established Member
I thought Kante played more like Ramsey does; higher up the field than he should be at times, hustling to track back, fouling from behind sometimes.

Guaranteed Kante in our midfield makes that tackle he made on Özil would have been instantly booked.

edit: For the record, wouldn't trade either for Kante though. Lacks the guile necessary to break down a parked bus. Playing wide open suits his style, not something we get to do regularly.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Isn't Kante's postion more Ramsey's role alongside Arteta. He played well but can't help but feel he's being overrated slighlty.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Isn't Kante's postion more Ramsey's role alongside Arteta. He played well but can't help but feel he's being overrated slighlty.

Yes. But I do believe he could form a fantastic partnership with Cazorla because the guy is absolutely everywhere. Though is passing is slighty **** I must admit, but I guess it's because Leicester play "high risk, high reward passes".:rolleyes:

If you look closer, when Coq/Santi play together then it's Coq who presses highest up trying to win the ball, which is why I think he's more of a destroyer than a DM for us, and in such a role, Kante would be imperious for us.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yes. But I do believe he could form a fantastic partnership with Cazorla because the guy is absolutely everywhere. Though is passing is slighty **** I must admit, but I guess it's because Leicester play "high risk, high reward passes".:rolleyes:

If you look closer, when Coq/Santi play together then it's Coq who presses highest up trying to win the ball, which is why I think he's more of a destroyer than a DM for us, and in such a role, Kante would be imperious for us.

Bit of an odd replacement though, surely we should be looking higher if we did want to replace Coq?

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Bit of an odd replacement though, surely we should be looking higher if we did want to replace Coq?

Yeah, it's a tough call, but the way he wins ball combined with his drive is pretty unique and rare in football.

But we've so many needs that I don't think we'll be looking to improve CM at all even though we should. Someone like Gündogan would be perfect.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Drinkwater seems to play a lot deeper than Kante which allows Kante a bit more freedom to run all over the pitch, Coquelin HAS to stay just in front of the back four and his job only really becomes evident when the opponent are breaking on us. Their jobs are completely different, Coquelin has to stay as the deepest midfielder because he plays with Cazorla or Ramsey who're both converted attacking midfielders into CMs, neither of which will stay beside him too often as they look to influence the attack.

It's really difficult to suggest if Kante would do a better job than Coq in the role he plays for us because he'd almost always have to do the work of two men with very little license to be the player he is at Leicester. Kante is the type of player who'd probably be ideal to partner Arteta more than anything else. There's no denying he's a great player and he's been a great addition but the comparison are a bit off.
good post.
Kante is a good player, but there is a lot of people going way overboard with this.
he plays with drinkwater next to him in a very conservative counterattackin system where the fullbacks dont move forward, he is not getting exposed because of it.

Marmaduke

Kante was a pain to deal with for sure and he is one pesky player but he is one of those that rides the yellow card line very finely. Once he got a yellow he really mellowed out. Perhaps thats a sign on intelligence however.... Coq sometimes doesn't know when to take it down a notch...

I like Kante this season, a lot actually. However, I don't think he'll fit in our midfield and the ship has sailed imo to bring him in as competition/rotation despite all the injuries we suffer. He's not gonna be your Coq replacement as the deepest mid, more like the role played by Ramsey with Arteta but more defensive than him. I love Coq but i still think we need to get an Arteta MkII if we are gonna insist on playing Wengerball. Coq and Ramsey are not gonna gain you the control of midfield. It's also vital if Ramsey has anything to do with the CM position at Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom