• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Made an impressive 6 interceptions despite playing for less than an hour. Someone like Xhaka that has good passing range but can play without Coq such a great addition.

Not sure if Elneny is that player yet, his tackling leaves alot to be desired but then Coq took a string of games to get that under control.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
I still think we could easily win the league with Coquelin though. He just needs the right partner. But I don't think Cazorla is that guy.

Leicester and Sp**s have been bossing this season in midfield with Dier and Drinkwater as their holding players. Are people trying to tell me they are that far ahead of Coquelin?

We just need to find the right balance. I'd rather we upgraded our CM spot and kept Coquelin, instead of upgrading our DM position and playing an ageing Cazorla or Ramsey there. Changing both positions in one summer will be too much.

I can see why people want an upgrade on Coquelin, i wouldn't be against it, but people talk a lot about wanting to match the Europe elite by getting a better holding midfielder in there - first we have to try and match the Premier League's best! We've got a lot more problems than needing to upgrade Coquelin to come after Barca et al. We need a new manager first.

I'd be more than happy with Coquelin being our starter next season. I think he offers more in his role than Santi or Ramsey do in theirs.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Easier to replace Coquelin than a two footed creative midfielder though.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
Easier to replace Coquelin than a two footed creative midfielder though.
Being a two footed player doesn't make him a great central midfielder.

I really do believe Coquelin is a better DM than Cazorla is a CM. Cazorla's form has also been really hit and miss over the past 12 months, people seem to forget that, while Coquelin has been extremely consistent.

Santi will be 32 next season and might start getting regular injuries now. We should be upgrading that position before we upgrade the DM position.

Wilshere is a non-factor. Ramsey looks out of his depth in central midfield nowadays. Elneny is a squad player.

That said, i still think we could improve as a team if we decided to upgrade Coquelin's position instead. It's not CM or bust with me. There's more than one solution to our central midfield problems.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah fair enough you don't rate him . I think he is quality mid . I'm not advocating replacing Coq at all just saying replacing guys like Santi is very difficult .

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Being a two footed player doesn't make him a great central midfielder.

I really do believe Coquelin is a better DM than Cazorla is a CM. Cazorla's form has also been really hit and miss over the past 12 months, people seem to forget that, while Coquelin has been extremely consistent.

Santi will be 32 next season and might start getting regular injuries now. We should be upgrading that position before we upgrade the DM position.

Wilshere is a non-factor. Ramsey looks out of his depth in central midfield nowadays. Elneny is a squad player.

That said, i still think we could improve as a team if we decided to upgrade Coquelin's position instead. It's not CM or bust with me. There's more than one solution to our central midfield problems.

Fingers crossed Cazorla doesnt consistently have any injuries after this current one and he can continue playing for us in midfield alongside Coquelin as Im a fan of their partnership I really am.

We do though need a backup for him because Arteta is unlikely to be here next season and Wilshere is unreliable so its neccessary we scout a midfielder who has the distribution skills and passing range to rotate/deputize for Cazorla in that role. If I were Wenger I'd bring back Zealalem as he's been brilliant at Rangers and also sign Ki from Swansea, a player with the necessary attributes to excel on that DLP. With Cazorla, Wilshere, Zealalem and Ki we'd have 4 players more than suitable to play that DLP and when you also consider Coquelin, Ramsey and Elneny also we'd have then the right dynamism and options through the middle.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Giroud didn't help himself, just another example of Arsenal lacking in the 'dark arts'. Any other club and Giroud would be doing backflips.

It was still a clear foul though and that idiot Oliver was staring straight at it.

Mate was a blatant yellow probably the most blatant yellow of the weekend . Oliver was standing next to them . Considering he gave him a yellow for a much less blatant pullback only reason he didn't show him a yellow was because he bottled .

Last edited:

Goon-Ger

I haven't seen much of Xhaka but the reason Saul is such a must buy imo is that he is incredibly unique as a player.

He's as accomplished in the final 3rd as he is in the middle of the pitch, has great first touch and passing range with a high IQ. But also he has the height and physical attributes to play in a two man midfield as opposed to say a Verratti.

He's like a cross between Koke and Oliver, would be stupid to pass him up.

But Saul is not a defensive minded midfielder?

We need someone who will just SIT in front of the back 4. Nothing fancy, hunt the ball down and pass it to a team mate. Saul is a good player but if we have to replace Coq we need to go like for like as in Xhaka or Carvalho.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

But Saul is not a defensive minded midfielder?

We need someone who will just SIT in front of the back 4. Nothing fancy, hunt the ball down and pass it to a team mate. Saul is a good player but if we have to replace Coq we need to go like for like as in Xhaka or Carvalho.

He can play it, in fact I like him best as a DLP. Don't like him further forward. His skill set is more suited to a midfield role.

Doesn't Coq hunt the ball down and pass it to a teammate? Saul would be a definite improvement. Other people on here who know have more worries about Xhaka and Saul is available for 24M€ right now.

Goon-Ger

He can play it, in fact I like him best as a DLP. Don't like him further forward. His skill set is more suited to a midfield role.

Doesn't Coq hunt the ball down and pass it to a teammate? Saul would be a definite improvement. Other people on here who know have more worries about Xhaka and Saul is available for 24M€ right now.

That's what I mean though, I'd rather a player came in and did basically what Coquelin does..... but better if possible. I wouldn't mind someone like Saul to come in and play alongside him but NOT replace him. I'd ideally like 2 CM's who just sit there and protect the defence and that would allow the LW,RW AM and CF to play freely on the counter.

TriniGunner

I still think we could easily win the league with Coquelin though. He just needs the right partner. But I don't think Cazorla is that guy.

Leicester and Sp**s have been bossing this season in midfield with Dier and Drinkwater as their holding players. Are people trying to tell me they are that far ahead of Coquelin?

We just need to find the right balance. I'd rather we upgraded our CM spot and kept Coquelin, instead of upgrading our DM position and playing an ageing Cazorla or Ramsey there. Changing both positions in one summer will be too much.

I can see why people want an upgrade on Coquelin, i wouldn't be against it, but people talk a lot about wanting to match the Europe elite by getting a better holding midfielder in there - first we have to try and match the Premier League's best! We've got a lot more problems than needing to upgrade Coquelin to come after Barca et al. We need a new manager first.

I'd be more than happy with Coquelin being our starter next season. I think he offers more in his role than Santi or Ramsey do in theirs.

Cazorla is one of the few gifted 2 footed midfield players in the game. I baffles me to hear Arsenal supporters diminish his importance to the structure of this current Arsenal team. Without him there, we're void of a player who actually knows where and when to start the attack. The only player like him we have currently is Rosicky.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That's what I mean though, I'd rather a player came in and did basically what Coquelin does..... but better if possible. I wouldn't mind someone like Saul to come in and play alongside him but NOT replace him. I'd ideally like 2 CM's who just sit there and protect the defence and that would allow the LW,RW AM and CF to play freely on the counter.
That's kinda the point though. There's few players who do exactly what Coquelin does as good as he does now, but those kind of players are also limited and offer us a drawback going forward. In football nowadays, you can't just have 2 basic defensive CMs and then let 4 forwards do whatever. You're splitting your team into two factions, and the offense will suffer. If we were primarily a defensive team, then I suppose it would suffice, but we are an attacking team therefore we need to better build a team that supports that.

We absolutely need someone who can replace Coq who is far better at distributing and able to control the ball, create passing angles for his teammates and enable the team to control spaces. Coquelin doesn't do these things except the latter. Helps defend the space. But he's a passenger in the attack a good portion of the time, and in today's football, you can't afford to be. You have to offer at least something - I don't mean going forward, but at least distributing better from deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom