• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We need the search function back.

Getting sick of people sitting on their high horses with their "You used to love him now you hate him hurr hurrr stop knee-jerking hurrr hurrr the new scapegoat etc etc"

Many people have had the same views on Coq since he came into the team, it's not knee-jerk.

Maxim

Coq is a good DM. Remember Flamini in his final season with us before he jumped ship to Milan? Coq is slightly over that level minus the goals. I know he's sh*t right now but you can't deny how good Flamini was in that season. He even stepped up when Cesc was starting to get his seasonal burnouts.

The issue is - when Flamini was in our midfield the first time round, he was absolutely surrounded by top class technical players, so his weaknesses on the ball weren't as evident as he could just lay it off to Cesc, or Rosicky, or Hleb or Van persie or eduardo or even Kolo/Gallas - all very comfortable on the ball and capable of playing possession football.

Put Coq in that team and he'd be fine. But times have changed and football has changed, all midfielders need to be able to contribute going forward now and Coquelin simply doesn't. He's a squad player for us, we should not be building the team around him.

Sykes

The issue is - when Flamini was in our midfield the first time round, he was absolutely surrounded by top class technical players, so his weaknesses on the ball weren't as evident as he could just lay it off to Cesc, or Rosicky, or Hleb or Van persie or eduardo or even Kolo/Gallas - all very comfortable on the ball and capable of playing possession football.

Put Coq in that team and he'd be fine. But times have changed and football has changed, all midfielders need to be able to contribute going forward now and Coquelin simply doesn't. He's a squad player for us, we should not be building the team around him.
Exactly!!!! That midfield was probably the most technically gifted midfield we've ever had under Wenger.
I always knew we were going to be in **** when santi got injured...i was happy when rosicky came back, but as usual, he goes and breaks down.
Matter of fact, it's surprising that the Ramsey-Flamini pivot coped as well as they did at first...i always saw it as a ticking time bomb.
Coq as our first choice DM will be fine as long as Wenger gets someone like Isco or a Rabiot/Xhaka who's able to fill in as a DM when necessary with the likes of santi, jack and elneny to cover.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I can't think of many that can do the job of protecting the back four as effectively as Coq does while pinging world class balls foward every five minutes.

Where has all this sudden hate for him come from?

As much as I love Coquelin, his job is essentially to win the ball and give it. With someone like El Neny who wins the ball, but not as often, but very rarely loses possession he needs someone like that alongside him. Coquelin is a good option, can he be upgraded on? Ofcourse, but that is the case for many players unless they are the best in the world.

Personally I would like a physical player who is good in the air and dynamic with pace. That isn't hard to find. What is hard to find is them being good on the ball.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
He still has the qualities we were highly praising him for before his injury. At the same time he isn't playing as well and singlehandedly cost us a game.

I don't get this erratic behaviour here that either he is worthless or amazing.

He can be good but play poorly, they are not the same thing. Nuance would be nice.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Coq is to defending what Özil is to attacking. Both limited in their own ways, but both very very effective when on form.

Valid?

Of course not...
Accurate, however not a fair statement.

Özil while limited contibutes defensively, it's a very limited contribution but that's all his position in this formation dictitates. There's more room in modern football for attacking players who do the bare minimum defensively.

However it's a completely different case for a centre midfielder. You're expected to contribute almost equally in a defensive and offensive capacity.

Agree or disagree?

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I love Coquelin and appreciate what he does for us. Guess he's got to be this level each and every match to escape criticism. I don't know how he doesn't get some more slack while recovering from injury. If we are unable to win the title, it won't be because of Coquelin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom