• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Xhaka-Coq with Ramsey or Wilshere on the right would be great for tough games.

Think we might be lacking against smaller-mid teams though.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Xhaka-Coq with Ramsey or Wilshere on the right would be great for tough games.

Think we might be lacking against smaller-mid teams though.
Exactly, Xhaka-Coq is a backs-to-the-wall midfield, not one we would be needing to use often.

Coq only pairs well with Elneny and Cazorla, and then we still lack in some way because Coquelin doesn't function well enough as a defensive-DLP that permits his partners to move forward more. His passing is too short and not progressive enough (though he is occasionally capable of what we need).

chessygoal

With the news of Kante starting tonight against Russia for France, Coquelin can say goodbye to his hopes of playing the next Euro.
It's a shame really, I don't know why Deschamps never called him last season, there must be something fishy.
It would be quite funny now if Roy decides to call him !

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

With the news of Kante starting tonight against Russia for France, Coquelin can say goodbye to his hopes of playing the next Euro.
It's a shame really, I don't know why Deschamps never called him last season, there must be something fishy.
Nothing fishy, Kante is a better player.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Tbf if I was England I'd rather Coquelin than Henderson, there's something annoying about him, like Ant and Dec that you just can't figure out.

Bould14

Why we even having this debate? Xhaka isn't coming to us. Wenger going to look for the cheaper solution.

alboots101

Established Member
Why we even having this debate? Xhaka isn't coming to us. Wenger going to look for the cheaper solution.

I think he's going to shock a few people this summer, he, they.....Wenger and the board cannot be blind to the demands of the fans, I think that sacking Wenger cos the fans are protesting is a non starter but someone will urge him to spend the money this summer.

I could be wrong though.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I feel bad wanting a more complete midfielder, because I honestly really like Coquelin.

Now I'm trying to convince myself that Xhaka-Coquelin would be a sick midfield pairing. Sadly it wouldn't be unless Coquelin became a Kante player, doing the business everywhere instead of restricting himself to staying back. Could work... right? :confused:

Last edited:

alboots101

Established Member
I feel bad wanting a more complete midfielder, because I honestly really like Coquelin.

Now I'm trying to convince myself that Xhaka-Coquelin would be a sick midfield pairing... sadly it wouldn't be unless Coquelin became a Kante player, doing the business everywhere instead of restricting himself to staying back. Could work... right? :confused:

I've not seen enough of Xhaka but from what I've read the fella could be good and anyone that could pair up with our Coq and give real solidity to the base of our midfield.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I've not seen enough of Xhaka but from what I've read the fella could be good and anyone that could pair up with our Coq and give real solidity to the base of our midfield.
The thing is both of them are players that stay back, and it's a big part of their games. Xhaka acts as a pivot from side to side and sprays long balls to bypass opposing midfields, while Coquelin acts as a counterattack counter and destroyer of buildup.

Xhaka I think should stay back moreso than Coq, as what he does is tactically very important from that position, and he would then make the need for Coq to stay back smaller. Maybe the latter would then be destroying all over the pitch à la Kante and teeing the team together while in possession, leaving us very sound defensively. Would also remove the need for Xhaka to defend as much, as he admittedly still needs maturing in that department. It's quite a wild thought though, it assumes that Coquelin plays well from box-to-box (which he used to be tbf), that we sign Xhaka, and that Wenger would even try this kind of thing.

KillaJax

Now I'm trying to convince myself that Xhaka-Coquelin would be a sick midfield pairing. Sadly it wouldn't be unless Coquelin became a Kante player, doing the business everywhere instead of restricting himself to staying back. Could work... right? Very unlikely though :(

Coquelin does the bussiness at the back because that is what we have been crying for... for god knows how long. I understand and appreciate wanting more from our players but one must first understand the restrictions and responsibilities placed on some of our players. Coq is a DM first and foremost, his job is to simply make sure the back four is secure. He does that brilliantly and I could not ask for much more.

Him and El-Nenny are an amazing combination to me because they balance each other out very well. El-Nenny may not be Cazorla but his distribution (transitional play), engine and positional intelligence are excellent in complimenting Coqs defensive work. We do not need both our midfielders to be pushing up... That is the problem we have had for a very long time and one of the biggest issues people have with Ramsey in a midfield 2. We need to continue keeping our defence secure (given we are transitioning into a new partnership).

Coq to me does not need to be a DLP because we need him to be a DM (the destroyer mould). His partner is the one who we expect or hope to be a complete midfielder or good/excellent DLP. Xhaka and Coq together is a strong defensive partnership and both could take turns transitioning (I believe Coq is capable of good distribution and transitional play) while sharing defensive duties. Coq/Xhaka- Saul, Coq/Xhaka- Wilshere, Coq/Xhaka - El - Nenny are great and balanced midfields for the system we are currently playing. We don't need 4 midfield creators given how our RW is normally set up i.e false wingers or creative wingers (not cross merchants)

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Also there's still the fact given our injury record, even if we do sign Xhaka we'll see a lot of chopping and changing as the season progresses. Only hopefully with extra quality additions it won't be Flamini or Arteta coming in it'll be Xhaka, Coquelin, Elneny or whoever.

Aevi

Hale End FC
More videos coming through... his performance vs Everton was defensively noteworthy, so I feel it deserves a post:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom