• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Different approaches imo. Coquelin's more action and highlights (no disrespect), whereas Arteta was better positioned. Arteta was really underrated. Could distribute well, defend well, and was usually in the right place.

I think Arteta did a solid job for us for a couple of years, then tailed off quickly. What's telling is his two best seasons came next to Song and Ramsey, both players who lack positional sense but can get up and down the park.

Arteta was tidier on the ball but Coquelin's attributes are crucial for us IMO. Although Arteta was sound positionally, a pacey CAM could always leave him for dead. Coquelin has good recovery pace and makes more interceptions.

I still remember our CL tie against Bayern in 2013, Kos scored late on and there was a real chance of a shock. Arteta however, continually fouled the Bayern players, kept taking the bait so to speak, wasted any time we had at a winner. I'm admittedly still bitter about that :lol:.

Gervais

Established Member
Our central midfield in recent years was at its peak in the second half of the 12/13 season and the first half of 13/14; Even though Coquelin puts himself about more, I still rate Arteta in those two seasons as much better than anything Coquelin has shown us.

It's such a shame that Arteta aged as quickly as he did, because he really did compliment Ramsey so well in midfield.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I thought for 5/6 weeks he had a pretty good partnership with Diaby too. Arteta probably had 3 fairly good seasons with us, though even at the time he was somewhat underrated. Fantastic positional awareness and a great reader of the game. His legs completely went though towards the back end of the 13/14 season and ever since just hasn't been the same.

SantiWizard91

What Coquelin lacks the most and divides him from players like Kanté atm is his calmness on the ball.
This is so much underrated imo.
You can be the best passer with the best technique - if you lack calmness on the ball it is worth nothing...IF you play as a central midfielder of course.

I even think Coq is a underrated passer..he offers much more offensively than most think... BUT if you watch leicesters or now frances games you will notice how calm kanté is with the ball.
He is no better passer than le coq in my opinion but he got this aura that makes you think he wont loose the ball.

I would even say that most of our players lack this calmness. Özil got it...so does Cazorla... but Ramsey, Jack and most of our attacking players (Walcotts calmness is in minus regions..) are really lacking it.

that for me is one of the main reasons why we had so many heavy defeats in the past.

Look at carrick for example...some will say he never was any special and is very average...but he really frustrated opponents with his calmness and composed passing

Mastadon

Established Member
I thought for 5/6 weeks he had a pretty good partnership with Diaby too. Arteta probably had 3 fairly good seasons with us, though even at the time he was somewhat underrated. Fantastic positional awareness and a great reader of the game. His legs completely went though towards the back end of the 13/14 season and ever since just hasn't been the same.

I don't think he was underrated at all. There were plenty of posts here saying he should play for Spain and was better than Alonso/Busquets a few years ago which was obviously complete nonsense and the kind of stuff you read about any Arsenal player who puts in a few consecutive good games. He was a good player but nowhere near being elite or even top class.

Iceko

I personally feel Coq/Santi has been the best CM pairing in recent years. I never could understand playing Arteta in front of our defense, charged with defensive duties.. Yes, he could pass the ball and he did what was required. He also did everything he could to hide his lack of pace but I've always wanted someone that's in better physical shape.
And with so many good DM's moving clubs in the time Mikel was starting for us that made him so frustrating for me..

When I watch other teams, their DM's never really stick out to me, unless they're playing against us ofcourse. In terms of DM's where would you rate these BPL players right now in a top 3/5?

Listed by BPL club ranking:

Kanté (Leicester City)
Dier (Tottenham Hotspur)
Coquelin (The Arsenal)
Fernandinho (Manchester City)
Kouyaté (West-Ham United)
Schneiderlin (Manchester United)
Wanyama (Southampton)
Imbula (Stoke City)
Can (Liverpool)
Matic (Chelsea)
Yacob (West Bromwich Albion)
Besic (Everton)

Nor sure the rest of them matter so I'll stop there.

My top 3:

1. Kanté
2. Coquelin
3. Wanyama

Godwin1

Very well-known
Problem with Coquelin is he's quite a situational player, in games where we don't need someone so much with his defensive capabilites he can look out of place compared to a controller more suited to the role. He's decent enough at passing but not really up there to be anything more than a defensive player.

That's where the critisim ends for me though, he's easily worth it for the games where we do need him and coming through at a time when people have be crying for a defensive midfielder for a number of seasons he's shown exactly why we always needed one. Easily worth points on the board.

Eduardo_da_Silva

No one's said he's not good enough to play for us. Get a grip ffs.

Then I must be * since frazes such as not good enough passing skills, not enough positional awarenes, he is no Kante probbably mean he is perfect for us.

Couple of weeks after his return showed what people really think about Coq and the amount of comments labeling him a one season wonder or not good enough show what I meant.

Eduardo_da_Silva

People need to understand that a player can be excellent at what he does despite not being the best fit for the team.

No one wants to sell him, no one is calling him crap either.

Problem I was pointing out is that people on this forum tend to bash our players for no particular reason, and this pattern is repeating itself for the last 15 years.

I can name you 10 players that were slaughtered or kept being called not good enough before their growth after which those same people use frazes such as I always knew he would come good.

Coquelin is great at what he does, and his numbers in some games and throughout the last season show that his importance for the team and the balance he provides us makes him a perfect fit for us.

The whole talk about him can be compared to the way Makelele was percieved in Real Madrid team. Both Fans and President thougt that he is not a good fit for such a high profile squad and only after he left people realised how important he was for all the flashy stars.

Impact

Established Member
Personally think the likes of Kante and Dier are currently being overrated. Both are good players but look better because the systems their teams play gets the most out of their ability - add to that the inevitable confidence boost good form brings and they are probably playing above their level.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Was better today even than at Everton. Had a good game possession-wise which is encouraging. Played some nice slide rule passes. Still think he needs to improve in this area if he wants to be elite, but he did very, very well today in possession.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Some of the comments in this thread got me like..

are-you-serious-wtf-meme-baby-face-jpg.20942

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Massive difference between this game and when we lost.

No comparison with Bellerin and Monreal over Chambers and Gibbs. Much punchier in attack. Coquelin and Sanchez eventually coming back to form after their injury. Iwobi and Welbeck, great movement, compared to Girouds more static style.

Like chalk and cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom