• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doom

Other than jealousy I've never understood why people complain about or are mystified by footballers' salaries.

The number of players who can play at the highest level is tiny compared to the insatiable demand from the clubs.

Look at Frimpong and JET - physical monsters, schooled since youth to be professional footballers and neither could make it at the Premier League never mind Champions League level.

Furthermore the number of players that can perform at the highest level is reduced by injury. A career ending injury also end the player's earning potential as a footballer; how much has Dean Ashton made as a player in the last seven year? I've not seen too many complaints about that.

That kind of disparity between supply of good players and the demand of glory hungry hungry clubs in a cash rich environment is always going to drive up wages.

If the benchmark for a talented 19 year old is 30k per week, Arsenal may pay Iwobi that because he'll get it somewhere else if they don't.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Other than jealousy I've never understood why people complain about or are mystified by footballers' salaries.

The number of players who can play at the highest level is tiny compared to the insatiable demand from the clubs.

Look at Frimpong and JET - physical monsters, schooled since youth to be professional footballers and neither could make it at the Premier League never mind Champions League level.

Furthermore the number of players that can perform at the highest level is reduced by injury. A career ending injury also end the player's earning potential as a footballer; how much has Dean Ashton made as a player in the last seven year? I've not seen too many complaints about that.

That kind of disparity between supply of good players and the demand of glory hungry hungry clubs in a cash rich environment is always going to drive up wages.

If the benchmark for a talented 19 year old is 30k per week, Arsenal may pay Iwobi that because he'll get it somewhere else if they don't.

They complain because there's no real reason for them to be earning this much. It's the direct reason why ticket prices are astronomical and the cost to watch football in general is insane.

Add a FIFA wide wage cap - a real one, not this FFP BS - and it would benefit the sport massively. It would do no harm to the mid-table clubs while at the same time stopping every single great player from going to megaclubs. It would also (in theory) dramatically reduce ticket prices and allow teams to invest more money in youth, and reward those doing so.

It won't happen, but that's the main concern people have I think. Just saying "it's jealousy" is a bit narrow-minded in my opinion when the fact that someone like Iwobi earning 30k per week is a direct correlation to you lot paying £1100 for the cheapest season tickets.

alboots101

Established Member
Pay them or lose them. For a long time now we at Arsenal have tried to do things on the cheap, building the stadium was a good reason to tighten our belts but I seem to remember before that AW was lauded for bringing players in cheaply and selling them on for a good if not a huge profit, Anelka being the finest example. All the time teams around us spending a lot of money and achieving success. We are now in a position to be able to spend money on players or wages, we have no choice if we're going to compete for the titles we crave, it's all well and good sitting on the football moral high ground but it's got us nothing more than the ability to make the last sixteen of the CL every season.

I'm glad to see Iwobi get thirty grand a week, perhaps it's the start of us paying players what they're worth, if we want to keep Alexis or Özil and we want to add genuine quality to the squad we're going to have to pay for it.

We have to face it, we've blown it this year partly down to unfortunate injuries and partly down to not buying the players the team needed. Hopefully the youngsters that are on the verge of the first team will see what Iwobi has done and it'll inspire a couple more to step it up and Aw actually spends the money on players we need this summer, he has to, I can't see how he can't see it.

WELL DONE IWOBI, he's the catalyst for our future.

Doom

They complain because there's no real reason for them to be earning this much. It's the direct reason why ticket prices are astronomical and the cost to watch football in general is insane.

Add a FIFA wide wage cap - a real one, not this FFP BS - and it would benefit the sport massively. It would do no harm to the mid-table clubs while at the same time stopping every single great player from going to megaclubs. It would also (in theory) dramatically reduce ticket prices and allow teams to invest more money in youth, and reward those doing so.

It won't happen, but that's the main concern people have I think. Just saying "it's jealousy" is a bit narrow-minded in my opinion when the fact that someone like Iwobi earning 30k per week is a direct correlation to you lot paying £1100 for the cheapest season tickets.

Hi Dokaka,

You are arguing high player wages drives up fans costs and that there is no reason for top players to be so well paid. I would disagree on both counts.

Fan costs and Wages
I think the correlation runs like this - high fan costs leads to wage inflation.

In football the signing and retention of players is an auction process - highest bidding club gets the player.

The more good players a club has the more successful it will be.

The inescapeable logic of this is that to be successful a club must extract as much money as possible from fans. Whether via tickets, merchandise or indirectly via tv packages.

As all clubs are engaged in the same struggle to be successful, so there is a constant pressure on clubs to increase the costs for fans to enable the club to buy better players. It's a never ending game of one-up-manship, a footballing Red Queen Effect.

By paying the cost of modern football, fans are creating the cash rich environment that allows the club to pay the astronomical wages.

If every fan decided tomorrow collectively to allow their season tickets lapse and to cancel tv subscriptions, footballer wages would drop like a stone.

Fans grumble about costs but every time they put their hand in their pockets to pay for football they are complicit in what it has become. Literally the fans have all the power and for want of coordination are being exploited by the clubs.

Do players deserve their wages?

As I said in my post above the supply of top players is limited, the demand for their services is great and the auction process of attracting players encourages them to hold out for the most money possible. Every player want to get paid as much as possible.

Seeing as the clubs are prepared to pay the wages, in a narrow economic sense the clubs must think that the players "deserve" the money. Why else would they be getting it? Every club wants to pay the least to keep the players loyal.

There's a philosophical aspect to the question as to whether for the good they do for society does Iwobi deserves 30k a week whereas say a teacher gets 30k a year.

But the fact remains that there are loads of teachers available for employment and loads of people you could train to be a teacher but you could count on one hand the number of 19 year olds who've won man of the match in their last two Premier League games.

That's why Iwobi'll be getting all the $$$.

Any of you seriously think this lad is good enough?! Show's how unambitious we've become, used to have talents like Fabregas, Henry, Wilshere etc coming through out academy, now we're getting excited over small time talents like Iwobi... really think we should push the boat out in the summer for Griezmann/Neymar rather than sticking with mediocrity just becuse they're from our precious academy

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Any of you seriously think this lad is good enough?! Show's how unambitious we've become, used to have talents like Fabregas, Henry, Wilshere etc coming through out academy, now we're getting excited over small time talents like Iwobi... really think we should push the boat out in the summer for Griezmann/Neymar rather than sticking with mediocrity just becuse they're from our precious academy
Was taking your post seriously until this point.:lol:

Was taking your post seriously until this point.:lol:
We've got 200mil in the bank... why not! Show some ambition! The lad wants to be the focal point of a team, maybe not this summer but could definitely happen at some point, will get sick of playing second fiddle to Messi eventually...

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We've got 200mil in the bank... why not! Show some ambition! The lad wants to be the focal point of a team, maybe not this summer but could definitely happen at some point, will get sick of playing second fiddle to Messi eventually...
I admire your ambition.

I agree with you on our young prospects but things are on the up...I think Bellerin is a top prospect it's just harder to see because he's a defensive player.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Iwobi is good enough, if you don't agree I'll like you to name a 19 year old winger ATM who's playing as well as Iwobi is. He's easily not far from being a Cesc tier talent and showing that level of maturity of a 17 year old Cesc, albeit at 19 years old. He's not perfect but if we sell him don't be surprised to see him playing for Barca in a few seasons time. I know for sure that I would rather have Iwobi than the current Sterling.

illmatik

Established Member
Iwobi with Campbell backing him up is so exciting after all the dullness we have seen on that wing, I really hope we keep Campbell as he has that ability to make something special out of nothing - I truely hope Iwobi finishes the season on fire

Also - who was the last youngster in the same position to come through the youth setup and shine like Iwobi? I really can't think of anyone in that position off the top of my head, so many have come and gone, this is a major step up for the club and the youth setup

illmatik

Established Member
Iwobi is good enough, if you don't agree I'll like you to name a 19 year old winger ATM who's playing as well as Iwobi is. He's easily not far from being a Cesc tier talent and showing that level of maturity of a 17 year old Cesc, albeit at 19 years old. He's not perfect but if we sell him don't be surprised to see him playing for Barca in a few seasons time. I know for sure that I would rather have Iwobi than the current Sterling.

dont take him too seriously mate, he was bashing monreal in the wish list :lol:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Iwobi with Campbell backing him up is so exciting after all the dullness we have seen on that wing, I really hope we keep Campbell as he has that ability to make something special out of nothing - I truely hope Iwobi finishes the season on fire

Also - who was the last youngster in the same position to come through the youth setup and shine like Iwobi? I really can't think of anyone in that position off the top of my head, so many have come and gone, this is a major step up for the club and the youth setup
He won't be the last. Jeff, Willock, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Toral are all very exciting as well.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
You're not even an Arsenal fan. Why are you here?

Balance is key

We dont need experienced players in every spot - but I would be concerned playing Bellerin, Ramsey, Iwobi, Gabriel, Welbeck, Elnenny as the spine of our team, and I cant really see us win anything if they are expected to have a key role.

I like Iwobi and do think he is the one we should focus on, knowing Wenger he is however going to screw things up by playing all of them

Balance is key

He is trolling

Thought it was the ones who are saying Iwobi is a Cesc like talent who did the trolling - Iwobi has 720 minutes of football at senior level under his belt and a few good games

If we had had Rashford or Iheanachi they would have been heralded as the new Pele by our fans inhere.

Would be a massive mistake not to get in a real goalscoring winger - Iwobi looks good, but so did Gnabry, Ox and Jeff and compared to Rashford and Iheanachi Iwobi doesnt look like the biggest talent.

Hopefully Wenger knows that we do need a good goalsscoring Winger and that Iwobi is still too raw and inexperienced to be our main guy.

No doubt he is a really exciting talent though

burnsjed

Established Member
@Balance is key.
The hype/hysteria for any young player we have had breaking in to the first team has always been elevated, Iwobi isn't anything different, but in what has been a fairly disappointing season, for one reason or another, he has been a breath of fresh air.
That Squillaci fella is just talking bollocks in every thread, he has listed Diaby in a few of his posts as deadwood at the club. In his other posts we should be signing players that are clearly unattainable and sending the likes of Bellerin on loan, until Dani Alves (who we are apparently going to replace him with) retires!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom