• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

skip spence

Off the ball means everything off-the-ball. When your team has it and doesn't have it. There aren't really any grey areas there as it's all off the ball. Off the ball movement and positioning offensively and defensively.

Look at the penalty we got against Liverpool. Moneros run was perfect for an offensive off the ball run but dreadful for a defensive off the ball position. It's knowing which movement is required where and when, which position is best to take up.
I'm no pro but I believe you are mistaken. At least in Football Manager "Off the Ball" is a term used purely for attacking movement. "Positioning" is the term for defensive positioning and movement. Not saying Football Manager is the bible of tactics terminology but surely they get these terms from somewhere? And these are two very separate qualities.

Take a guy like Mesut Özil. Excellent "Off the Ball" movement. Poor defensive "Positioning".

FFS, Another injury! Poor lad but I doubt he would have started anyway at Leicester.

Goon_si

Very divided opinions on Iwobi.

I really rate him, so I'm on that side of the coin. Reason for it is his vision, football brain and touch. Those things are almost impossible to teach. I'm sure that with time he'll be able to use those strenghts better, as he finds his ideal position and gets more games under his belt.

Great talent and it's quite obvious Wenger really rates him so he'll definitely get enough chances.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I think Iwobi is amazing for a youngster very comfortable on the ball, smart, good movement and can score and assist. Terrible environment for a young player to develop at the moment though.

He will make it here, he already has to be honest. Starting games, not been loaned out.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Thankfully we will have International break in next 2 weeks so they'll miss only Leicester and Watford games.

Still really bad start of the season 4 injuries already.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm no pro but I believe you are mistaken. At least in Football Manager "Off the Ball" is a term used purely for attacking movement. "Positioning" is the term for defensive positioning and movement. Not saying Football Manager is the bible of tactics terminology but surely they get these terms from somewhere? And these are two very separate qualities.

Take a guy like Mesut Özil. Excellent "Off the Ball" movement. Poor defensive "Positioning".

FFS, Another injury! Poor lad but I doubt he would have started anyway at Leicester.
Off the ball is off the ball. Offensively or defensively just the positions and movements differ. None the less it's something that Iwobi needs to pick up on with particular focus on the defensive aspects. Picking out passing lanes, getting goal side of the ball, helping his full back.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Don't think he's a WC talent but he's definitely a success. He can make it here if things work out well for him, he has the things you can't teach.

There's a reason he's leapfrogged all of our wing options.

Iddi

Off the ball means everything off-the-ball. When your team has it and doesn't have it. There aren't really any grey areas there as it's all off the ball. Off the ball movement and positioning offensively and defensively.

Look at the penalty we got against Liverpool. Moneros run was perfect for an offensive off the ball run but dreadful for a defensive off the ball position. It's knowing which movement is required where and when, which position is best to take up.
I think "Off The Ball" is used mostly for offensive play. What a player does when his team mates have the ball. Positional play, running in behind, finding spaces for the next pass, playing ones two's etc..

Then "Out Of Possession" is mostly used to point out a player's defensive awareness.. As a team we are poor when out of possession, it is so irritating and frustrating watching our players jog, let opposing players ghost past them, ball watching, can't press, we always look lethargic and clueless without the ball..

Vanfrothan

Just read that Nigeria have failed to qualify for the ACON for January 17.

Shame for the kid but that is great news for us. I've been dreading this ever since he broke into the first team.

I know the tournament is only 6 weeks long but it takes place at a really hectic period in the English football calendar and the players usually come back knackered as well.

I remember it being really disruptive in the past when we lost Toure, Eboue etc. at the same time.

Egypt have qualified so Elneny will be going but that is less of an issue in my opinion.

We've got lots of CMs to cover Elneny but Iwobi is one of very few players who play wide and actually excel there.

Giroud

Established Member
I think he's the real deal. Looking forward to having him back. He figures very highly in comparison to other Premier League wingers when it comes to dribbling and passing. He also finishes pretty well so has the potential to score as well if he starts taking more shots. Only 20 and he seems to have all the key attributes to make it here.

Attachments

• Alex-Iwobi-2015-16_pen.png
    Alex-Iwobi-2015-16_pen.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 16

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

I was speaking to a mate about a month ago regarding injuries at Arsenal. I said to him that it's weird how the players who seem to be here since they were young (Ox, Theo, Jack) seem to be the most prone to injuries and that if Iwobi starts to become injury prone, it could suggest there is something wrong with our training methods. I hope this is just a coincidence.. especially because he's a fantastic young player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm prepared to be committed to the club at least until we go into the new stadium. For me, it’s important that the club goes in there and that I make sure the team are at a very good level. After that, whether it’s me or someone else, the club will be able to compete at the highest level. But for me to run away now would not be fair.

Arsène Wenger after extending his contract on 2004
Top Bottom