• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The British Core™, imminent disbanding?

The British Core™ is...

• A complete and utter failure

• A work in progress

• A proven success

Results are only viewable after voting.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
At this point it should be pretty obvious that Wenger is doing a great job of developing British players.

Apart from Jenkinson, I'd say that our original six members of the British Core are progressing well, and we've expanded our list of British players too.

Original six

Ramsey had a great Euros and has looked good in his last couple of matches once he had recovered from his injuries and moved to CM.

Jack is developing well at Bournemouth and will be back in the team next season. He needed to get consistent minutes to improve his fitness and be the player that we need him to be, and he's doing that right now.

Ox is having his best season for us.

Theo is on fire, and now that he's settled into the RW he is a legitimate goal threat every match.

Gibbs has not developed into the best LB in the league, but I don't think anyone expected him to. Right now he's going to be a quality squad option, and that's fine. Every team needs these type of players. If he wants regular first team football he may leave, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed for a while. Wenger will always get him minutes. Alex Ferguson's ManU teams always had players like Gibbs who weren't regular starters, but were very valuable to the team.

Jenkinson just isn't good enough to make it here. We all kind of knew that so this isn't much of a surprise.

New guys

Iwobi might play for Nigeria, but he grew up in England. He could have played for the England national team, if they had bothered to select him. So he counts as part of the British core. At only 20, he is a really important part of our squad, and he can still get a lot better.

Welbeck if he stays fit will be a very important player for us. His pace, strength, size, technique, and workrate allows us to play with Alexis and Walcott up front and still have a threat in the air. Could add a new dimension to our attack this season.

Holding will be a future starting CB for England. This guy is not far behind Stones. This season is probably the best footballing education he's ever had, and it will make him into an immense CB. Learning from Kos, Mustafi and Merts, and being coached by Bould is incredible for his development. He's never looked out of place in any of his matches.

Chambers has been great during his loan at Middlesborough, and he really needed a season of regularly playing CB for his development. Despite being a CB he'd hardly played there in the EPL. Holding and Chambers could form a great CB partnership.

Maitland-Niles is ready to regularly be a part of the first team, and I think he could be better than Elneny by the end of the season. He's a smart, athletic player with good technique who can attack and defend. He can also play RB, and that could be big since Bellerin kind of does not have a backup.

We have a lot of British players in our squad and a bunch of talented ones in the reserves trying to break through too. Wenger really has done a great job of developing and expanding this core group of players.

Santi's Left Foot

No Longer Sleeping in Theo's bed
At this point it should be pretty obvious that Wenger is doing a great job of developing British players.

Apart from Jenkinson, I'd say that our original six members of the British Core are progressing well, and we've expanded our list of British players too.

Original six

Ramsey had a great Euros and has looked good in his last couple of matches once he had recovered from his injuries and moved to CM.

Jack is developing well at Bournemouth and will be back in the team next season. He needed to get consistent minutes to improve his fitness and be the player that we need him to be, and he's doing that right now.

Ox is having his best season for us.

Theo is on fire, and now that he's settled into the RW he is a legitimate goal threat every match.

Gibbs has not developed into the best LB in the league, but I don't think anyone expected him to. Right now he's going to be a quality squad option, and that's fine. Every team needs these type of players. If he wants regular first team football he may leave, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed for a while. Wenger will always get him minutes. Alex Ferguson's ManU teams always had players like Gibbs who weren't regular starters, but were very valuable to the team.

Jenkinson just isn't good enough to make it here. We all kind of knew that so this isn't much of a surprise.

New guys

Iwobi might play for Nigeria, but he grew up in England. He could have played for the England national team, if they had bothered to select him. So he counts as part of the British core. At only 20, he is a really important part of our squad, and he can still get a lot better.

Welbeck if he stays fit will be a very important player for us. His pace, strength, size, technique, and workrate allows us to play with Alexis and Walcott up front and still have a threat in the air. Could add a new dimension to our attack this season.

Holding will be a future starting CB for England. This guy is not far behind Stones. This season is probably the best footballing education he's ever had, and it will make him into an immense CB. Learning from Kos, Mustafi and Merts, and being coached by Bould is incredible for his development. He's never looked out of place in any of his matches.

Chambers has been great during his loan at Middlesborough, and he really needed a season of regularly playing CB for his development. Despite being a CB he'd hardly played there in the EPL. Holding and Chambers could form a great CB partnership.

Maitland-Niles is ready to regularly be a part of the first team, and I think he could be better than Elneny by the end of the season. He's a smart, athletic player with good technique who can attack and defend. He can also play RB, and that could be big since Bellerin kind of does not have a backup.

We have a lot of British players in our squad and a bunch of talented ones in the reserves trying to break through too. Wenger really has done a great job of developing and expanding this core group of players.

Opinions on this will change like the wind depending on the week, overall it's been good and there's more to come.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
All on Jack for me out of that group. Will be gutted if we part ways this summer... You can always buy a semi good English wide prospect or a semi average English defender.

Jack is special & always has been. A symbol of the Wenger years. The best ball playing English player since the 'Golden Generation'.

Hope to see him & Iwobi week in week out next season. Would be a huge achievement & credit to the Arsenal youth development.

Neo-Harambist

Jenkinson - *audible laughing*
Gibbs - Meh
Wilshere - Can't even be bothered really
Ramsey - Sell with immediate effect
Chamberlain - cud be gud
Walcott - yes

The Gooner

I believe from now onwards the League should be used to give all the young lads experience.
Ten or more games at the top flight would give the lads so much invaluable experience.

Holding, AMN, Iwobi, Gibbs, Jeff, Welbeck and Oxlade Chamberlain should all get consistent starts now. Also since we are already out of the title race, I say try Perez as the striker. He has been impressive when given a chance and surely we bought him to play as a CF, so why not give him that chance now and help him gain PL experience for the next season?

As for the so called "big" players, play them in the FA Cup and the European Cup. They won't have any excuses of "fatigue" and won't have to worry about getting injured against the likes of Stoke, Hull, Middlesbrough, Southampton or WBA. And if they still fail to win the cup matches then get rid of those over paid fools!

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Maybe I'm still mourning after another last 16 death but maybe we need to give these guys more games. Jenkinson wasn't good enough and neither is Gibbs, however the rest are and wouldn't have layed down like the rest did last night.

I've flipped!!! Give Ramsey, Wilshere and Welbeck a higher profile in the team and get Holding ready.

Latest posts

Top Bottom