• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatAFC

Think that is clear to everyone, although not everyone is willing to say it out loud due to various reasons. The time has passed him by. He is no longer a top manager and coach. His focus is no longer on finding the best players and fielding the best team game to game. He has become a money man focused on ensuring good return on equity.
He's still a top manager and coach, he's just not WC like he used to be. He's been overtaken by younger coaches with new methods.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He's still a top manager and coach, he's just not WC like he used to be. He's been overtaken by younger coaches with new methods.
Compared to the other top managers just in the PL I would not agree. Not to start the discussion from the Deal or No Deal thread here I'll stop there.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

In my eyes to play the way we do, 4231, high line, pushing full backs forward etc we need three goal scorers. Be that the striker, the wide players or the central attacker. You then need three players who can press from the front. Again take your pick from the forward 4. That means you can have a player who scores but doesn't press or vice versa bur you cant have one who doesn't do either.

You need a central midfielder to control possession and set the tempo and another who can sit back and defend space. Allowing the front four to get on with attacking and allow the other central player to push slightly further forward to recycle the attacking play.

You need two full backs who are whippets, providing width but enough recovery pace to get back. Two central defenders who can defend space and play football. Finally a keeper who can sweep everything up.

We lack the keeper, we lack a full back, we lack the holding midfielder and we lack the pressers and we lack the goal scorers.

Whoever takes us forward needs to identity if they wish to continue playing that way then a new keeper is needed. We need another player to mix pressing and goal scoring. Essentially another Alexis type player to play in the hole or one of the advanced attacking positions. And lastly a new full back. Its a big job. Might be easier to go for a new style with what we've got.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
In my eyes to play the way we do, 4231, high line, pushing full backs forward etc we need three goal scorers. Be that the striker, the wide players or the central attacker. You then need three players who can press from the front. Again take your pick from the forward 4. That means you can have a player who scores but doesn't press or vice versa bur you cant have one who doesn't do either.

Starting to think its not even a sustainable formation. Maybe with two mobile defensive minded CMs but trying to fit in four + a niche player like Xhaka + average / poor DM is suicidal.

The four attack minded players is rare... Hope Wenger or the next guy alters it for next season.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
No, we were a small European club who Wenger has turned into a potential super club, but our current owners and board people are old bank managers.
We were the 3rd most successful club in England when Wenger took over. We are still the 3rd most successful club in England historically. We were a big club then and we're a big club now with a better stadium. People act like we were f*cking Preston before Wenger instead of a club with a pretty damn good track record domestically who had won 2 titles in the 7 years prior to his arrival. I get that we played more stylish football and for a few years we had a bigger profile when we were actually winning things but you'd swear this guy had cured AIDS on his break from curing cancer instead of building a good squad, winning a couple of league titles and pathetically underachieving in Europe with the fantastic squad. Frankly it raises serious questions when anyone tries to suggest that a club with our track record pre Wenger was small. If you really want to give a single person credit for raising Arsenal's profile in European football then it should be David Dein because the first Domino was convincing Bergkamp to come.

Hunter Zolomon

We were the 3rd most successful club in England when Wenger took over. We are still the 3rd most successful club in England historically. We were a big club then and we're a big club now with a better stadium. People act like we were f*cking Preston before Wenger instead of a club with a pretty damn good track record domestically who had won 2 titles in the 7 years prior to his arrival. I get that we played more stylish football and for a few years we had a bigger profile when we were actually winning things but you'd swear this guy had cured AIDS on his break from curing cancer instead of building a good squad, winning a couple of league titles and pathetically underachieving in Europe with the fantastic squad. Frankly it raises serious questions when anyone tries to suggest that a club with our track record pre Wenger was small. If you really want to give a single person credit for raising Arsenal's profile in European football then it should be David Dein because the first Domino was convincing Bergkamp to come.
Bravo

GDeep™

League is very weak
I'm guessing City and Utd will be looking for managers around 2021 too.

**** sake, nightmare scenarios. How will I sleep... for the next 3 years.

FinnGooner

Established Member
I'm guessing City and Utd will be looking for managers around 2021 too.

**** sake, nightmare scenarios. How will I sleep... for the next 3 years.

The same way as the past few years, I suppose. There are always good managers out there just like there are good players. The problem is there's always 10 times more posers (just like for any other job) so the trick is to find the truly talented ones. I suspect the club will not get it right the first time but eventually it will

Deathstroke

The Terminator

Arsène fans belittling the club just to big up their hero. :rolleyes: Ambulances are gonna be needed on standby when he does go eventually.

He will, right?

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
You guys are forgetting a crucial point re the Wenger making Arsenal a big and famous club or not- The rise of the Premier League and the relentless marketing hype job of it in the most common language understood all over the world.

Arsène's success is obviously important to that though but Arsenal were already a big club.

Where I come from kids where either United or Liverpool. Arsenal were not even on the map. Wenger made this club as far as I'm concerned. At least everything I know and feel towards it.

Premier league always been big here but Arsenal fan club was like 30 people 20 years ago and is now a multi thousands club.

#thanksWenger

Last edited:
Let's get it right I want Wenger to leave but would prefer he do it gracefully il always be greatful and wish him well on the future.

What is as fans need to understand and mark my words this will happen, we will drop out of the top four for at least the first season, probably more. Which might not be s bad thing as it will push the owners to invest. We need to think long term and take a good look at our squad.

No idea who the next manager will be but it will be a very tough gig. I'd prefer someone with Premier League experience, Eddie how I like but would be a massive risk for both us and him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom