• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadrunnerReloaded

That 80M would've made no difference really, not like the club would've spent it on a replacement.

Suarez would've got us a title though maybe.

Winning a title would have made a massive difference though. No one, not even DT and Troopz would care if Wenger was in 10th this year if we won the league then. Even with the most trophy hungry knee-jerkers a league title would be a completely different world. Would be like 2006-07 now.

InvertedFootballer

Nonsense, Wenger would get sacked if he had a bonafide mediocre campaign

It hasn't happened, not even now, and that's why we're a laughing stock at the moment. There's a loud group of Arsenal fans out there actively wanting us to be proper ****

It could be soon. About 3 years time, I think I heard.

It is early stages but already advanced how we are either gonna slow down or stop aging. Children today may even never get old if they wish too!

You are lucky though that Wenger wont probably live to see that technology coming to its fruits. :rolleyes:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Ive just sussed it out... Wenger wants a a 3 year extension because the anti-aging pill is forecast to go on the market around that time. EDIT: Hydro sussed it first!

200.webp

scytheavatar

Established Member
Wenger being 67 is irrelevant. He'll be fully fit physically and mentally until 85 minimum

Physically maybe. Mentally hell no, no way any manager can remain sane by that age. Wenger's probably going to spend the rest of his retirement with PTSD of the stress he suffered as manager.

kopzilla

Always Negative
No, we need competent director of football badly, who could tweak or change our current transfers approach. Does anybody remember what respectable agent Jon Smith wrote in his book 'The Deal' about our transfers strategy and style ?

In his book ‘The Deal’, Jon Smith recounts his memories of working on some of the biggest transfers in English football history as, together with his brother Phil, he built the country’s first major sporting agency, housing more than 400 clients at its peak.

Smith writes: “Since Stan Kroenke took a majority shareholding in the club, they have created matrices for players, a bit like Moneyball.

"And if a player doesn’t quite meet all the criteria, the matrix tells them not to offer more than a certain amount. That is what Arsène means when he talks about value.

“Four years ago, they bought a company called StatDNA in Chicago, which owns an operation in Cambodia where they crunch every conceivable number relating to a footballer.

"They will take a player and collate data based on every pass, sprint, shot, assist, goal – you name it – he has ever made. These stats are fed into a computer that assesses strengths and weaknesses against every professional in the game before producing an overall value of that player.

“Arsenal tend to use statistics to raise questions or confirm observations on possible targets and sometimes unearth players for scouting. There are occasions where it will cause them to re-examine a candidate who has been scouted, but senior figures at the club believe the data can remove doubts that they might otherwise have had or encourage them to sign a player from their rivals.

“Arsenal insist they take decisions primarily driven by scouting, and the human rather than numerical characteristics of a potential target. Ultimately all decisions are made by Arsène.”

“Arsenal’s operational model is based on an American corporate style,” Smith told Standard Sport. “I think StatDNA takes time to churn out the information they need. Of course, they can monitor players all year round but an individual’s statistical data changes with every game. That probably slows the system down.

“Fans have got to understand that while we all grow up with tribal loyalties in our hearts, clubs are businesses now. Arsenal is the archetypal co-habiting club in sport and business. It crosses that divide. It may be a bit lugubrious in its football dealings sometimes but that’s because it is a business.

“If I have a criticism of them, it is that they are stand-off-ish in the transfer market. They don’t always make the running because they are Arsenal and think that is enough.

"Nowadays, nobody cares who you are – it's just Jerry Maguire: show me the money. They sometimes have a corporate stand-off mentality that doesn’t play well even though they are all very decent and professional people.”

Wenger has often faced personal criticism for his lack of decisiveness in the market but Smith warned Arsenal fans that when the Frenchman eventually steps down, his successor will need to quickly adapt to an agent world that has changed dramatically.

“It is a system that has Arsène at its core and will take years to change – just look at Manchester United post Sir Alex Ferguson and only someone with the strength of Jose Mourinho’s character – and importantly his contacts – have threatened a revival again,” he said.

“He has shifted the United system to work for him and using Jorge Mendes and Mino Raiola, they were able to land big players like Paul Pogba and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

“Raiola and Mendes are buddies but hey are both territorial beasts. For Arsenal to dominate, the next manager has to be hooked into that global network to tap into the senior agents who control the top end of the market even more so than I did in my day.

P.s. I despise all these so called 'super-agents', but they're ruling players market nowadays, we need to adapt.

Top Post mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom