• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

mm76

Yer Da
Sell Bellerin? Who posted that? Absolutely horrendous stuff.

You think good young fullbacks are readily available?

my point was - do we really think he qualifies on recent form and is it such heresy to sell and look for somebody more reliable?

and also that Gabriel wasn't as bad as people were saying

but hey whatever just wish people could avoid the hyperbole sometimes - unless it's me :lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
my point was - do we really think he qualifies on recent form and is it such heresy to sell and look for somebody more reliable?

and also that Gabriel wasn't as bad as people were saying

but hey whatever just wish people could avoid the hyperbole sometimes - unless it's me :lol:

There were a few who still liked Gabriel, me being one.

Recent form? You know you're talking about a young player? Who has also just returned from injury?

mm76

Yer Da
There were a few who still liked Gabriel, me being one.

Recent form? You know you're talking about a young player? Who has also just returned from injury?

actually i think he's less of a convincing FB than a winger but even then there's actually a lot of people here who've pointed out that he often fails to cross, either at all or effectively, in good positions and basically has good pace but is not anywhere near the finished article

and in terms of being a FB in particualr his defending isn't always that great

so if there's that, plus as you say he's young, should we have something better as first choice?

but yes, tbh i thought his having to defend less yesterday was a help - i originally posted that before our new system bedded in - so ok, maybe not actually sell ;)

say yes

forum master baiter
not looking quite so bad a post now is it? ;)

No, it's genuinely still a shocking post.

Almost as bad as the one where you predicted we'd get 10 points from our remaining 11 games.

We've got 10 from 5 thus far, so you're going to look pretty stupid unless we lose our next 6 straight.

I'd like Bellerin to be more aggressive/direct going forward. He has pace. How many times have we seen him beat a man in a one on one situation and whip a ball in? Gibbs is the same. Monreal does it, but he's a bit timid in the way he always either chops back or cuts inside.

He keeps possession but the well but I'd like him to mix it up a bit. Walker does it, Aurier does it. In fact most full backs do it.

mm76

Yer Da
No, it's genuinely still a shocking post.

Almost as bad as the one where you predicted we'd get 10 points from our remaining 11 games.

We've got 10 from 5 thus far, so you're going to look pretty stupid unless we lose our next 6 straight.

no, just pessimistic - but i wasn't the only one and as i proved at the time, it was a prediction in line with our form at that time

plus in any case that was before Wenger's sudden and unexpected conversion to a back three, which makes all bets off and we go again :cool:

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Am I right in thinking that in a formation with 3 CBs, Mustafi, Gabriel, Holding, and Chambers are all very suited to the right sided CB position?

If so, some future squad management could certainly try to balance that up and bring in a left footed CB if one can be found.

karl

Am I right in thinking that in a formation with 3 CBs, Mustafi, Gabriel, Holding, and Chambers are all very suited to the right sided CB position?

If so, some future squad management could certainly try to balance that up and bring in a left footed CB if one can be found.
I thought Holding looked good in the left side of the three and didn't suffer from being right-footed. I don't think it is the same a s being a fullback where there are more limitations of being right footed on the left.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
I thought Holding looked good in the left side of the three and didn't suffer from being right-footed. I don't think it is the same a s being a fullback where there are more limitations of being right footed on the left.

Certain players who aren't quite fullbacks I think are suited to that right hand side of a back 3 more than any other position and I'd definitely put Mustafi, Gabriel and Chambers in that category. Holding is obviously the one more likely to fit the left sided role.

Reyes no.11

Formation: 4-2-3-1

GK: *GK, *GK, Martinez
LB: *LB, Monreal
CB: Koscielny, Holding
CB: *CB, *CB
RB: Bellerin, *RB

DM: *DM, *DM

LM: Welbeck, Iwobi
AM: *AM, Cazorla, Wilshere
RM: Chamberlain

CF: *CF, Perez, *CF

In: GK, GK, CB, CB, LB, RB, DM, DM, DM, DM, AM, CF, CF

Out: Cech, Ospina, Debuchy, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Mustafi, Mertesacker, Gabriel, Coquelin, Elneny, Xhaka, Ramsey, Özil, Sanchez, Walcott, Giroud, Sanogo

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Out: Cech, Ospina, Debuchy, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Mustafi, Mertesacker, Gabriel, Coquelin, Elneny, Xhaka, Ramsey, Özil, Sanchez, Walcott, Giroud, Sanogo
I dont see so many outs, but it is possible that 6-7 out of those would leave.

Also, 3-4-3 is the new flavour

TheEconomist

Established Member
I don't like to use cliche's, but we really have no one capable of leading this team.

If it were me, I'd bring back Fabregas, and give him the captaincy too. That man bleeds Arsenal. He'd fight for us the way our whole squad (aside from Alexis) won't. Hes wasted at Chelsea, not even regular first team, but I still think hes one of the best midfielders around.

Passing up the option to re-sign him was such a bad decision, especially since we went and spent £30m+ on an inferior player (Xhaka) to play a similar role to one he could have played

We wont sign him though. But i hope we do get a real leader somehow

mm76

Yer Da
Formation: 4-2-3-1

GK: *GK, *GK, Martinez
LB: *LB, Monreal
CB: Koscielny, Holding
CB: *CB, *CB
RB: Bellerin, *RB

LM: Welbeck, Iwobi
AM: *AM, Cazorla, Wilshere
RM: Chamberlain

CF: *CF, Perez, *CF

In: GK, GK, CB, CB, LB, RB, DM, DM, DM, DM, AM, CF, CF

like it though we should be careful about ditching 3 at the back despite the T-sh*te game

agree with the sell list but we need to keep some of our squad players - mine would be El Neny and Gibbs and maybe Gabriel

and i'd sell Wilshere and Welbeck (sorry, given up on him now)

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
All the more reason to come up with something else, feels like we're just a cheap Chelsea/Sp**s knock-off at the moment.
In the same boat. I feel the need to go in drastically new direction.

We're stagnating with the same manager/players/mentality

Top Bottom