• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
The 'good value' argument is utter garbage too.

If I turn up to a formula one race in a new Toyota Prius, nobody is going to be standing there at the finishing line saying "whatever you think of the prius, that's great value".

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah 10 league goals isn't a bad return this season. What about the other four?
In 12/13 he bagged 11 out of 34 appearances. Not great
In 13/14 he bagged 16 out of 36 appearances. Still not amazing but by no means poverty
In 14/15 he bagged14 out of 27. Much better but still not what we want.
In 15/16 he bagged 16 goals out of 38.

My point still stands. He is not horrible. No he is not what we want. But this absolutely slating the guy because THE MANAGER can't see why we need more is unfair. He comes up with vital goals throughout the season. Claiming we could just bin him in the summer is a bit of a stretch.

I agree it is frustrating he is the reason we have no upgraded but claiming he is garbage is just a joke.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

If I turn up to a formula one race in a new Toyota Prius, nobody is going to be standing there at the finishing line saying "whatever you think of the prius, that's great value".
I don't why you people still don't get Giroud is (average striker) he is not 20-30 goals striker it's wenger fault to make him our starting striker for 4 seasons

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Possibly the worst analogy this forum has seen in ages!

GDeep™

League is very weak

Not sure about this. He is considered good value, by me anyway, as helped maintain our target for top 4.

You don't sign, start or persist with a Giroud if you had higher ambitions. Top 4 was the aim, he helped with that.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

We signed him for around £10M and he's got double figures in the league five times. Plus, he's scored some hugely important goals for us in other competitions. He's been exceptional value for money really, I don't see how you can look at it any other way, particularly in this current climate.

He's never been good enough to be a starter here, and I understand why some people would want him sold. But you can't rubbish the theory that's he's been good value. Spuds signed Soldado for nearly £30M and all he did was stick away a few penalties :lol:.

That analogy needs a bit of work too, you're better than that ;).

Giroud

Established Member
Welbeck (League)
10 non-penalty goals
2873 minutes
0.31 non-penalty goals/90

Giroud (League)

65 non-penalty goals
10735 minutes
0.55 non-penalty goals/90

If you cut that down to the last 3 seasons Giroud's non-penalty goals per 90 is a very healthy 0.66, more than double that of Welbeck's.

Many bring into this Welbeck suits the system argument but I struggle to see how his inclusion accounts for approximately 0.3 non-penalty goals per 90 coming from elsewhere to make up for his poor record in front of goal.

In the end comparing someone to Welbeck is not a good barometer of what is required at Arsenal. We need an upgrade and have done so for years but it baffles me how most Arsenal fans have no appreciation of Giroud's ability. He shoots in good areas and scores goals unlike Welbeck who seems to get a free pass because of some off the ball movement which supposedly increases our attacking output to cover up his lack of goals. I've watched most of our matches going back years now and I just don't see this almost mythical ability in Welbeck that makes our attack click apparently much better.

karl

We can all make a case for an upgrade and that is what I hope happens this summer. However, he averages around 20 goals a season (all competitions) at a tiny cost in terms of current transfer fees. As an Arsenal fan I also appreciate he has been mostly available to play in that time.

The fault if any is the managers. Each year he ran him into the ground with no support from other strikers and no real competition. Can't blame him for having to shoulder the burden and consistently bailing us out with goals.

As @Giroud pointed out, a goal every 2 games over 5 seasons is a hard figure to match. I'll listen to people slating him when I see considerably better figures in an Arsenal shirt.

Ted_Lasso

@Taylor Gang Gunners @GDeep™ @Mark Tobias

You can't be good value (for me at least) if you're not good enough.

Giroud was brought here to do a specific job: lead the line for a top side. He's failed completely to do that.

To talk of him as if he's been good value completely misses the point. Unless you meet the required standard value doesn't come into it. You're either good enough or your not.
Yeah, its not really that black and white is it though?

Giroud was forced to be a starter for years because of Wenger's negligence in the transfer market. He took the opportunity with both hands. He's a natural goal scorer and, yes, he should never have played as frequently as he has over the years, but you can't say he hasn't been very productive.

Stop misplacing your anger, we all wish we had a pacy striker like Lacazette, Aubameyang, etc banging in the goals but we don't, and when we've been clueless in front of goal at least we had Giroud who could do a job. Has to stay around as a backup next year, imo. Crucial player to have in the squad. Where else are you going to get his production and aerial threat for under 20m? You just won't.

Players should not be excused with their values if they fail at their jobs. Nobody is ever gonna say "but he cost only 2 millions so he is good for his value" if Holding one day is part of defense that ship in 50 goals per season. The same goes for Giroud who has constantly failed in big moments and has been everything but inspiring in his time here.

12 millions or not I'm just glad we are moving away from him starting every game and hopefully in summer some France team can make all of our lives easier and buy him and send him to Siberia.

say yes

forum master baiter
Yeah, its not really that black and white is it though?

It really is.

Step 1: Are they a good player
Step 2: How much did we pay

Not the other way round. Too many football manager/moneyball fans in football these days who look at a price tag first when they determine whether a signing was good or not.

The only priority in the transfer market is to improve your team. If you can do that without paying market rate then fantastic. There's good value for you.

However to call a 5/10 player 'good value', just because you paid a 3/10 price for him misses the point. You still ended up with a **** footballer.

say yes

forum master baiter
Giroud was forced to be a starter for years because of Wenger's negligence in the transfer market. He took the opportunity with both hands. He's a natural goal scorer

The guy averages 13 league goals a season for one of the most attacking teams in the league How on earth is he a natural goalscorer?

Is 10 league goals the new 20?

It would have to be if you're going to make out that Giroud is a natural goalscorer because the only time Giroud has ever come close to 20 in the league is if you change the question to 'consecutive games without scoring when your team are challenging for the title'.

Delli Alli's already bettered his league record ffs.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Players should not be excused with their values if they fail at their jobs. Nobody is ever gonna say "but he cost only 2 millions so he is good for his value" if Holding one day is part of defense that ship in 50 goals per season. The same goes for Giroud who has constantly failed in big moments and has been everything but inspiring in his time here.

12 millions or not I'm just glad we are moving away from him starting every game and hopefully in summer some France team can make all of our lives easier and buy him and send him to Siberia.

:lol:

blaze_of_glory

That's cause I don't watch F1. Prius is a good car, can't go wrong with Toyota my man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom