• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wojciech Szczesny: Should He Come Back As #1?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'd not be adverse to him coming back and challenging, but I want us to sign Jordan Pickford personally.
Let me guess. From the one game you've seen him play this season. Christ! what is it with people. See a young keeper play well against us and all of a sudden he is the next Buffon. In all honesty his organisational skills suck, he is not commanding in the box. Glorified shot stop until he gets some experience.

Deathstroke

The Terminator
Good article from Amy. I was pleased when he went on loan but would be happy to have him back next season. It also saves money to spend elsewhere and Ospina can leave.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/19/wojciech-szczesny-roma-loan-arsenal-goalkeeper

“The biggest thing I have taken away from these two years at Roma is the fact I grew as a goalkeeper. It’s just raising your levels, your standards. I absorbed a bigger knowledge of football, the tactical side of the game. You don’t see me with that rush of blood that I used to have as a younger keeper. It’s not that I don’t feel that rush of blood but tactically you are more aware of when to be involved, when to let the defenders recover.”

In the victory against Juventus last weekend Szczesny patrolled his area with presence but also notably focused on control. That overconfident or reckless streak he had as a younger keeper was nowhere to be seen.

Hmm...

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Great read. I sure hope he's in next Season's plans. Great attitude and seems to have matured and learned a lot the last couple years.

I think he will be in our plans. Ospina will want to leave for regular games so it makes sense to bring Szcz back and see how he is. Martinez is still young and needs more time.

Jack_The_Lad

I think he will be in our plans. Ospina will want to leave for regular games so it makes sense to bring Szcz back and see how he is. Martinez is still young and needs more time.

Yes, but are our plans enough for Szczesny, who is - as he says in this interview - in his prime?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Yes, but are our plans enough for Szczesny, who is - as he says in this interview - in his prime?

Well Cech is no longer in his prime so if Szcz wants a challenge, it's perfect timing for him. Obviously if any clubs start sniffing around we could lose him anyway. He said about having lunch in the sun, I always think climate must be a big pull for players, particularly their partners. I know it would be for me! :)

MagicalRozza

Szczęsny is the reason I started following Arsenal but I don't think he should be coming back here unless Wenger leaves. He is not going to get better under Wenger. No goalkeeper in my current memory has. Also he seems to be sharing the winning drive with his early teammates like Cesc or Jack and such players do not fit well in the current approach. So there will be personality clashes with Wenger again. I don't think he will join another PL team. The only good one that needs a better keeper is Pool and he would not go there. Serie A (probably Napoli) or Spain is where he is going to go.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Pickford is the way forward, but he'll soon be the most expensive keeper ever, and that's what it's going to take to get him. £35m+ imo.

Malky

Established Member
Can't believe his 27, still think of him as a similar age to Bellerin.
Yeah it's crazy, the lad became first choice here nearly 7 years ago now.

This kinda makes me question Martinez. People regard him as a 'development' talent, but he's 25 at the start of next season. He needs to go out on loan to a top European club (like Szczesny) really impress and prove he's worth keeping (like Szczesny)

Malky

Established Member
Pickford is the way forward, but he'll soon be the most expensive keeper ever, and that's what it's going to take to get him. £35m+ imo.
When Real Madrid are desperate to sign De Gea? And Donnarumma has the attention of every elite club in Europe?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I rate him but honestly is he gonna be that good? On the whole English keepers since Seaman have been sh*te.

You look at someone like that Donnarumma kid at Milan and he looks ridiculous.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I rate him but honestly is he gonna be that good? On the whole English keepers since Seaman have been sh*te.

You look at someone like that Donnarumma kid at Milan and he looks ridiculous.
I think Pickford can be as good as anything I've seen tbh. Whether he will or not is another thing. Keepers are a funny one. It's difficult to split him and Donnarumma tbh, imo.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

I always liked Woj, but I didn't think he was the right fit. His personality always seemed to be a good one but not a winning one.

The answers he gave in the interview resonate a degree of maturity and self-awareness that I didn't think he was capable of. Honestly, I thought we should take him back before reading this as he's operated at a slightly higher level than Cech this season (I think Cech, whilst still a good keeper, needs to have steady competition and be displaced) and I'm even more convinced now.

The problem is that Woj clearly doesn't take any crap. He's basically admitted in the article that he was coasting at Arsenal and wasn't progressing as a player for half a decade.. something which is changed in two years at a smaller club. Again, it's a player within the system fleetingly highlighting our glaringly obvious coaching/tactical deficiency in the hope that the message will resonate. Players who question the agenda or dare to suggest an alternative approach are seemingly not welcome at modern Arsenal, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Szczesny not coming back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom