• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's January 2018 Transfer Targets (Sven the money)

How do you rate the January window?

• 5/10 or less (fail)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 6/10

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 7/10

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • 8/10

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • 9/10

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • 10/10

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
This is turning out to be a great transfer window.. Might arguably have a better team even after losing Sanchez.
Also adding Mkhi and Auba are very well experienced guys and good for dressing room we have alot of german speakers also Kola Xhaka Mustafi Özil they won't feel like strangers

Emmanueleboue2

If we are offloading Giroud as well, we should be getting Malcolm + a midfielder. Fred of shaktar would be great and he is available this window. The need for midfielder is far greater than getting in Evans.

Sanchez,walcott,coquelin,ox,GIroud out
Malcolm,mkhy,auba,fred in.

Linson

QONVIyz.gif

Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang?

Good start.

Sign Wilshere and Özil onto long contracts?

Excellent.

If we get Malcom and Evans too I'll be over the moon. Grab Fekir and a GK and continue to cut the Deadwood in the summer and we're bang on again.

Lovely stuff.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I agree with Wilshere, but in order for that to work it needs an athletic ball winner in midfield.

It's a very similar set up to:

--Hleb------Fabregas----Flamini-----Nasri

So squad wise we would need quite a few additions.

------------------Lacazette----Auba/Welbeck
----Mhiki/Iwobi----------------------------------------Özil/?????/Nelson

--------------Wilshere/Xhaka-----AMN/??????

Kola/Monreal------------------------------------Bellerin/??????

I would actually keep Welbeck as he would function in a 2 up top.

However I would sell Ramsey, Elneny, one of Chambers and Holding. With that we should invest in:

*A dominant pacey centre back that can partner with anyone.
*A dominant central midfielder who can win the ball and has pace to recover.
*A wide forward who can double up as a striker.

Wishlist = Koulibaly, Fabinho, Malcolm/Bailey.

Keep Chambers and loan Holding out for a year. Not sure about selling Ramsey but ok.

Koulibaly every day of the week obviously. Denis Zakaria is more attainable but Fabinho is the dream. Leon Bailey just pips it for me. Malcom I see as the better creator, while Bailey is so fast that I think he'll develop into a winger-striker hybrid.

I like this potential 4-2-2-2 thang though. Hope Wenger's thinking about it too.

BobP

Memri Fan
Oldest squad in the top six and we're signing 3 pensioners.

landscape-1489744934-dot-shocked-computer.gif

A lot of those players who bump up our average age are on the verge of being made redundant.

I mean Mertesacker is retiring, Debuchy doesn't even play, Cazorla is in the same boat as the latter and will probably end up retiring soon anyhow, and Giroud is on the verge of finishing up here.

It's really only Monreal, Koscielny, and Cech that are of any consequence when it comes to a stat like that. And even then, the former two will soon be phased out soon anyhow. Something's got to give if your CB department is going to be made up of the likes of Evans, Mustafi, Chambers, Holding, Mavropanos.

Only reason our average age is high is because we've made a habit of carrying deadweight.

Last edited:

BobP

Memri Fan
Forget about playing a 4222 with our current CM.

We'd be frequently overrun.

That would only work if we A. weren't so tactically slack and B. if we were to find a more defensively competent partner for Xhaka.

Xhaka and Ramsey in a 4222 is a frightening prospect, and I don't mean for the opposition.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
My debate was solely focused on the fact that Ramsey has done more for our club than Wilshere has.

That's a fact.

I agree with that, after his terrible injury, he has managed to come back and has stayed relatively available. At the same time, the difference of quality on the ball is akin to day and night between the two.

the issue is not just comparison between the two, and one doesn't cancel the other one out. the point is that, Ramsey's game is solely dependent on the team clicking and having technically sound, creative players that can advance play, provoke defenders and open up the opposition. the likes of Özil and wilshere, of course sanchez.

but the same goes the other way around. no point in having 11 technicians on the field, if you don't have the guys like ramsey who can smell blood when space opens up and get on the end of chances. people like giroud and laca who can finish, or head the ball, or put cb's under pressure.

and then the injury story. we wouldn't be talking about who contributed more or less to the club. and if you're talking about the FA cup, i'd say Cazorla's free kick was of much more importance than anything else, from individual moments.

pikey2000

He thrived in a 4-4-2 diamond under Thomas Schaaf at Werder Bremen.

347px-Bayer_Leverkusen-Werder_Bremen_2009-05-30.svg.png

Yeh, personally I think half the reason he has looked a lot more involved/controlling our games recently is because he's getting on the ball a lot deeper and as such he's become more involved in everything we do, the deeper he drops the more he can dictate the game.

I could see him do well in a 3 man midfield with a decent ball winner and someone like Jack/Aaron beside him, he's way more involved than when he's playing AM or on the wing.

Something like;

----------DM---------
---Özil--------Jack--
-------mhiki---------
---Auba-----Laca---

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Jeez, I'm glad Dean is there to tell us that. It's not like our manager has repeatedly acted coy and been asked questions about these 3 players.

Side note - I think Maitland-Niles or Willock could be the answer to us needing another CM. I am genuinely shocked by the maturity of Niles on the pitch, especially how seamlessly he got to grips with the kind of defensive work he would have to do in midfield. By that I mean his tenacity and aggression is on point and he can harry the opponents into losing the ball. His only weakness is runs in behind which will be nullified slightly in midfield when he isn't the last man.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
Jeez, I'm glad Dean is there to tell us that. It's not like our manager has repeatedly acted coy and been asked questions about these 3 players.

Side note - I think Maitland-Niles or Willock could be the answer to us needing another CM. I am genuinely shocked by the maturity of Niles on the pitch, especially how seamlessly he got to grips with the kind of defensive work he would have to do in midfield. By that I mean his tenacity and aggression is on point and he can harry the opponents into losing the ball. His only weakness is runs in behind which will be nullified slightly in midfield when he isn't the last man.
Jonny Evans, noooo!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom