• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette: Laca the Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
We have 97 through balls this season, highest of any team. City are second with 74. We are third in hitting the woodwork with 13 times. City are first with 16. We are third with goals inside the box with 48 times, City and Tottenham are above us. We have 287 key passes and City has 297.
These numbers are meaningless, there's no context here. A through ball is defined by Opta as "a pass splitting the defence for a team-mate to run on to", how many of those 97 actually led to a goal scoring chance?

Just off the top of my head, this team has looked toothless in attack against Tottenham, Swansea, Bournemouth, West Brom, West Ham, Southampton, Burnley and Man City in the last few months. Also two Europa League games against Belgrade and Koln, none of which Lacazette played in so you can't blame him for that. Not sure how any honest fan could watch those games and think this team is creating chances consistently.

blaze_of_glory

These numbers are meaningless, there's no context here. A through ball is defined by Opta as "a pass splitting the defence for a team-mate to run on to", how many of those 97 actually led to a goal scoring chance?

Just off the top of my head, this team has looked toothless in attack against Tottenham, Swansea, Bournemouth, West Brom, West Ham, Southampton, Burnley and Man City in the last few months. Also two Europa League games against Belgrade and Koln, none of which Lacazette played in so you can't blame him for that. Not sure how any honest fan could watch those games and think this team is creating chances consistently.
Would be interesting to know if a through ball is counted only if the player actually is able to get on the end if it with the goal still in front of them or not. I can think of lots of "through balls" from our team that are over-hit and end up out of bounds or well wide of any useful angle to attack the goal.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Would be interesting to know if a through ball is counted only if the player actually is able to get on the end if it with the goal still in front of them or not. I can think of lots of "through balls" from our team that are over-hit and end up out of bounds or well wide of any useful angle to attack the goal.
I think that stat is 97 successful through balls, but even then as you say it doesn't tell the whole story. Getting on the end of a through ball doesn't always lead to a chance.

Big chance missed

Arsenal - 42
Liverpool - 45
City - 51
Tottenham - 40
United - 35
Chelsea - 34

Arsenal 439 shots, (5th), City 487 shots (1st).

Our general attacking play has been fine this season only lacking in true quality in striker position. Maybe not right to say the attacking play has been fine, more so that Lacazette team mates in attack has done well while he has not and that is where the suffering in attack starts.

The defensive and midfield are of course our biggest problem but to improve the attack you start on improving on the striker position and that is what we did in January by going out of character when we bought Auba just few months after signing Lacazette.

isop

I agree that his head has gone down and he needs to be a bit hungrier. If he doesn't show more aggression and fight he won't make if here. He is still a quality player imo, and if not here he'll thrive elsewhere.

But there IS a problem with the system. It was apparent in the Sp**s match as well before Lacazette came on. Some people are actively trying to avoid blaming Wenger and pin all our attacking problems on a guy thats been here half a season.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
But there IS a problem with the system.
There's been a problem with the system for over a decade. It's a mixture of poor tactics, not using players in their strongest positions and playing to their strengths while also not strengthening the squad in areas where we were suffering.
We'll continue to deal with these issues while Wenger is still here.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
We've scored 15 goals in 14 away matches in the league, averaging just over 1 goal per game. The team has 36 goals in 13 home games, averaging almost 3 goals per game. Lacazette has 7 goals in 13 home games. There's a problem with the team playing away from home so to think the reason he's not scoring is purely down to him is ****ing moronic.

His first season is almost over. Might aswell sell him no?

No.

He will most likely miss euros because bad season he is having and we will hopefully sign a top class winger in the summer. He will be on the bench behind Auba.

He will propably want to leave and if West Ham or some team come in for him we might be tempted to sell.

Zaza

Suarez can just do some tricks to send defender to the wrong side. Without the help of his teammates, he can create 3 to 4 extra golden chances per match for himself. It doesn’t matter if he missed 1 or 2 of them. For any striker, there are a lot other abilities that are also important, not just finishing.

Drogba was another example, he didn’t need teammates to create chances for him, just make a mindless long pass and then he could score with his individual ability.

Lacazette’s game is too one dimensional. He can’t create chances for himself. To just have great finishing ability and pace are not qualified enough to be a world class striker.

I would rather have a striker with poorer finishing ability, receiving 3 chances from teammates per match, creating 3 for himself, missing 3 and score 3.
And not have a striker like lacazette, receiving 3 chances from teammates per match, creating 0 and score 2 of them.
Think you're underestimating his quality on the ball. I've said it countless times and will keep saying it - Lacazette problem is more from a physical standpoint. He just isn't as quick as many thought. Not physically strong as well. But on the ball, he is top top quality - right there with the best in this league. I'm just praying to good he can at least get a little quicker and stronger next season.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I wasn't even fan of Giroud, sadly, but I think I can easily agree with this.

I was hoping Lacazette would make us better attacking team with being more mobile and clever movement than Giroud used to offer. But that hasn't happen for us at all. Our attack has regressed heavily this season and it did never look this bad with Giroud like it has been with Lacazette for this season.
There are many reasons our attack has looked ****. Our attack looked **** when we had Alexis ffs! But you want to blame a guy who's been here 5 months. Özil was **** for a lot longer than that, and he's unquestionably world class. You're too keen to condemn him,and it's because you never rated him before he got here. It's clear as day. You even gave Elneny longer before you condemned him :lol:

There are many reasons our attack has looked ****. Our attack looked **** when we had Alexis ffs! But you want to blame a guy who's been here 5 months. Özil was **** for a lot longer than that, and he's unquestionably world class. You're too keen to condemn him,and it's because you never rated him before he got here. It's clear as day. You even gave Elneny longer before you condemned him :lol:

Im just saying our attack has look worse with Laca in it than with others before. That of course my opinion.

Yeah I didnt rate Laca before he got here. I was hoping for better and I dont see anything wrong with that. So far Lacazette has been what I expected. Around average season for him.

Of course he may get better and take his game up a level. But luckily for me the people who run this club did the right thing and went out and bought better striker.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Im just saying our attack has look worse with Laca in it than with others before. That of course my opinion.

Yeah I didnt rate Laca before he got here. I was hoping for better and I dont see anything wrong with that. So far Lacazette has been what I expected. Around average season for him.

Of course he may get better and take his game up a level. But luckily for me the people who run this club did the right thing and went out and bought better striker.
You're entitled to an opinion as ever, but are you seriously telling me you have never commented on how unreliable and inconsistent our attack has been before Laca got here? We're just talking varying levels of rubbish with the odd 4 goal blitz of a crap team here and there. That's all we've done for years now. How would a 5 month sample make you so sure it's Lacas fault? Seems a bit premature to me...I don't see how Laca has made that worse. As I say, there are lots of other factors if you're willing to look.

You're entitled to an opinion as ever, but are you seriously telling me you have never commented on how unreliable and inconsistent our attack has been before Laca got here? We're just talking varying levels of rubbish with the odd 4 goal blitz of a crap team here and there. That's all we've done for years now. How would a 5 month sample make you so sure it's Lacas fault? Seems a bit premature to me...I don't see how Laca has made that worse. As I say, there are lots of other factors if you're willing to look.

I have commented on our attack not function ideally a numerous times. I'm just saying so far he hasn't improve the attack, that is 100% sure and that I think it has actually got worse than before. If the attack was worse before it has been even more worse this season.

Yeah yeah Wenger subbing him, him playing injured for five months, him adjusting, team mates refusing to pass to him, when they do the chances he gets are so bad angle and hard to convert to goal, etc, etc... I would try to be fair here and say lets wait for the stars to align and for Lacazette to show similar quality to Luis Suarez. But what can I do, not even the managers wanted to wait for that to happen hence Auba was signed.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Think you're underestimating his quality on the ball. I've said it countless times and will keep saying it - Lacazette problem is more from a physical standpoint. He just isn't as quick as many thought. Not physically strong as well. But on the ball, he is top top quality - right there with the best in this league. I'm just praying to good he can at least get a little quicker and stronger next season.
How is lacazette good on the ball?
Let me name some player who’s actually good on the ball: Hleb, Van Persie, Nasri, Cazorla...the list can go on but lacazette will not be on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom